What about Adrian Shepard from OpFor?

Didn't they tell us in an interview somewhere that it is, in fact, Barney Calhoun from Blue Shift?

brian... is that hor the beginning goes in blue shift? barney banging on the door?

hehe i think adrian shepard should defenetly be in hl2 cuz he is a nice character :) plus he could team up with GF, that would be something nice to see!

PatPwnt said:
brian... is that hor the beginning goes in blue shift? barney banging on the door?

Yup, it was. He takes the train and gets dropped off there, then Gordon's train goes by next

Adrian returns...

Most probably it will be just like Halflife 1 where Adrian will return in an expansion, Maybe this time as one of the Black Ops under orders from the G-Man. The mission: retake the parts of City-17 that are still infested with combine and alien scum.

Along your path you learn more about your alien enemies, and realise that not all is what it seems. The Black Mesa Teleportation Research Facility was not built in the name of science, but as a massive staging point for a Human Invasion! You hear from your alien enemies of the barbaric acts inflicted opon their people as thousands of soldiers poured into their city's, killing their families and burning their cities to the ground. You realise the Assault on Black Mesa in HalfLife 1 was an attempt to end the invasion, and realise you have been the G-Man's pawn all along, helping to systematically wipe out a species that was never a threat.

And then begins your final journey - Ally with the aliens and battle the Black Ops you once called friends, and stop the G-man once and for all!

....just a suggestion... :)

-Razor2YK

I like it.

An expansion would be good, though I wouldn't mind actaully meeting Shepherd at one point, maybe even hearing what he sounds like (We hear Barney speak in HL2... but then again, it's the same actor who did the voices for the security guards...). I dunno... I personally think that the only main character we should never hear speak is Gordy... because he's more than a main character... he's like the core character... Okay, I'm rambling now...

This is acutally pretty simple and logical, I'll lay it out and sum it up for those of you that don't understand.

1. HL1, OP4 and BS is the same story
2. HL1, OP4 and BS happens at the same time
3. HL1, OP4 and BS is seen from three different POVs ; Gordon Freeman, Barney Calhoun and Adrian Shepard
4. All those characters interefere with eachother in each game at multiple points of the story

Barney Calhoun is first seen in knocking on the security entrance with his flashlight. In BS you see this from Barneys POV when suddenly Gordon drives by as you're knocking on the door. Adrian Shepard nearly kills Gordon, but Gordon manages to jump into the reactor at the last second.

Some of you say that they shouldn't use Adrian in HL2 because some people didn't play OP4. Obviously that argument is pointless since all three games share the same storyline, only from different POVs.

I think Gordon and Adrian will work together at one point, at least they wont work against eachother as the G-Man probably doesn't want to pit two of his employees against eachother...

Hope that clears it up..

impaqt said:
This is acutally pretty simple and logical, I'll lay it out and sum it up for those of you that don't understand.

Some of you say that they shouldn't use Adrian in HL2 because some people didn't play OP4. Obviously that argument is pointless since all three games share the same storyline, only from different POVs.

But that hasn't cleared anything up...

If you havent played Op4 then whats the point in having Adrian in it? It'll just confuse the player.
As gordon or Barney we have no tie in with Adrian whatsoever except that we killed marines about 50-60 times...

Its like if you've never played Blue-shift and Barney, in HL2, were to turn around and say:

'Oh yeah Xen, strange place wasn't it Gordon! Did you jump on the floating things as well? Yeah me to! That was awesome!'

A player who's never played Blue-shift will be 'What the ****! Barney's never been to Xen thats stupid!'

It wont confuse any players, it will only seem like a new character to them..
And if Barney was to say that then a player that hasn't played BS would assume that Barney did actually do that

impaqt said:
It wont confuse any players, it will only seem like a new character to them..
And if Barney was to say that then a player that hasn't played BS would assume that Barney did actually do that

That would need a hell of a back story for a player to just assume he did m8!
Nah. I think we need someone who hasn't played blueshift to comment on how they'd feel for a security guard to turn around and tell them they've been to the same alien world you were in...without a hazard suit as well.

Its alright to assume because you know the characters but you've really gotta think about the original story line first and why the extra plots just won't be needed to someone who hasn't played these other mods.

Uhm, it's got a background story. The player just doesn't know it. If you ask me they have to make the game follow the plotlines they laid out with the first generation of games, which in other words mean they can't deviate too much without losing storyline credibility.

Look at it this way ; If you start reading a series of books, but for some reason skip the first two books then there's obviously going to be holes in the story. Valve can't really take this to account when making a storybased game..

Its alright to assume because you know the characters but you've really gotta think about the original story line first and why the extra plots just won't be needed to someone who hasn't played these other mods.

The thing is that those expansionpacks aren't mods with additional storylines, they are just the original storyline seen from another POV, which reveals more of the story.

impaqt said:
Uhm, it's got a background story. The player just doesn't know it. If you ask me they have to make the game follow the plotlines they laid out with the first generation of games, which in other words mean they can't deviate too much without losing storyline credibility.

Look at it this way ; If you start reading a series of books, but for some reason skip the first two books then there's obviously going to be holes in the story. Valve can't really take this to account when making a storybased game..

The thing is that those expansionpacks aren't mods with additional storylines, they are just the original storyline seen from another POV, which reveals more of the story.

But you said it yourself. All these things happen at the same time.
My interpretation is that the first game can be shown as a overall version with the other 2 games being alternate views of the same thing.
Basically what I'm saying is that you can scrap the other 2 views and still be left with more than the basic story from start to finish. And that is the truth is it not?
Halflife never needed another 2 expansions to explain anything whatsoever. Adrian and Barneys stories don't add anything to what happened with Gordon. They coincided but didn't effect the main plot.

what your arguing is for a OP4-2 not HL2.

so why do you think theyve included barney in HL2? and i doubt barney and gordons conversations are going to go into the detail you described a la 'floating platforms''.

HL2 will probably do an introduction for each character so new players dont get confused: (all egs):

-Eli: Last time I saw you was at the Resonance Cascade, well I got out of Black Mesa but lost my leg in the process...(cue explanation of how hee got to c17)

-Barney: Hey Gordon, managed to get out of Back Mesa along with some other scientist type dudes using an old teleporter...(cue explanation of how hee got to c17)

-Adrian (if hes in): They could introduce him in any number of ways but im not going to sit here and spell them all out for your feeble little mind.

-Kleiner: I knew we shouldnt have pushed the mass-spectrometer that hard at Back Mesa. Anyway, why were you so late that morning? Eli helped me get out in the end cos im a bit of a whuss.

bigun said:
so why do you think theyve included barney in HL2? and i doubt barney and gordons conversations are going to go into the detail you described a la 'floating platforms''.

You say feeble mind but how come you can't comprehend that Barney was in the original Hl1 and worked along side Gordon in the whole game?

Barney doesn't need an explaination, Dr.K doesn't, Eli doesn't. They're in the sequel because they were in the first one! Simple as.

We know who they all are from the HL1, why do we need to hear it again?

I for one cannot be arsed to sit around listening to Barney go on and on about how he escaped using a teleporter, going to Xen, doign this and that when he could easily turn around and say 'Hey Gordon its me! Barney from Black Mesa! Your old security guard buddy! Remeber that beer I promised ya?'

I'd like to see Adrian make a cameo. One of the neat things in Blue shift or Op For was seeing the same thing happen that Gordan did from a different perspective.

If you didn't remember, it was just someone's experience. If you knew the reference, it was a neat little nod.

BTW, Shepard is the only character of the 3 that we don't know what he looks like.
It'd be kinda shocking (and neat) if he was listed as a casualty after fighting against the Striders, or just briefly mentioned in a non-pivotal way.

There it doesn't matter if you've play Op For, and doesn't hurt people's perception if they hadn't. For those who HAD, it would be a cool reference.

Basically what I'm saying is that you can scrap the other 2 views and still be left with more than the basic story from start to finish. And that is the truth is it not? Halflife never needed another 2 expansions to explain anything whatsoever. Adrian and Barneys stories don't add anything to what happened with Gordon. They coincided but didn't effect the main plot. what your arguing is for a OP4-2 not HL2.

I'm not arguing for OP4-2, I'm just trying to explain how those two expansions told the parts of the story which couldn't be told in one game alone.

Orange said:
I'd like to see Adrian make a cameo. One of the neat things in Blue shift or Op For was seeing the same thing happen that Gordan did from a different perspective.

If you didn't remember, it was just someone's experience. If you knew the reference, it was a neat little nod.

BTW, Shepard is the only character of the 3 that we don't know what he looks like.
It'd be kinda shocking (and neat) if he was listed as a casualty after fighting against the Striders, or just briefly mentioned in a non-pivotal way.

There it doesn't matter if you've play Op For, and doesn't hurt people's perception if they hadn't. For those who HAD, it would be a cool reference.

Now that idea is more like it :)

Maybe in the same way you see the Gman on the 2004 vid with the stuff in the background like a hasey dream. He could be talking away to you with all your memories appearing behind him with a few added additions that could have happened. Aka seeing shepard.

impaqt said:
I'm not arguing for OP4-2, I'm just trying to explain how those two expansions told the parts of the story which couldn't be told in one game alone.

This is my last post about this seriously...

It 'was' told in one game alone. I played the 2 expansions less than a week ago and they add absolutly nothing to the original.
If they did then they'd have to explain away RaceX which Gabe said they aren't doing.
Barney would never have met with Gordon, because he goes off and does his own thing, so the emotional bond won't be there.
The list could go on and on...

No sorry but my bet is the most sensible.

Note the word MY mate.

MY bet,
MY thoughts,
MY belief,

I'm not forcing MY speculation on to anyone just arguing why MY thoughts make more sense. YOUR entitled to YOUR own opinion but don't post them if you can't take critisism.

Did they add nothing to the story? Are you ****ing kidding me? They let you see the incident from a whole other perspective, furthermore were we able to explore Black Mesa just a wee bit more. I find it extremely ignorant to just brush all ideas aside that's about Adrians part in HL2 (if he has any).
Including Adrian for any players who haven't played Op4 is a matter of storytelling, as I also said in my earlier post. G-man could introduce him as another agent sent to C17 for all we know. Oh well, your posts just leaves me the impression that you're uncompromisable (or whatever it's called, heh). You simply don't want him in there do ya?

Champ said:
Did they add nothing to the story? Are you ****ing kidding me? They let you see the incident from a whole other perspective, furthermore were we able to explore Black Mesa just a wee bit more. I find it extremely ignorant to just brush all ideas aside that's about Adrians part in HL2 (if he has any).
Including Adrian for any players who haven't played Op4 is a matter of storytelling, as I also said in my earlier post. G-man could introduce him as another agent sent to C17 for all we know. Oh well, your posts just leaves me the impression that you're uncompromisable (or whatever it's called, heh). You simply don't want him in there do ya?

Hey I'm not against him being in, a few posts up I ever suggested he be shown in a hasey, waking up dream state with the Gman.

But your trying to suggest that Op4 and blueshift had a key role in what happened in HL1. It didn't. I'll keep by my belief that they didn't add anything to the original story and telling me they did because of having a different perspective won't convince me otherwise.

I really can't explain this any further without repeating everything over again. Please re-read my past posts.

Bicka said:
Thats not fair to say that though Brain Damage. Barney was a generic guard in HL1 yes and everyone loved him. The generic soldiers on the other hand weren't all called Adrian and nobody really cared what happened to them.

It doesn't make sense if you try using Barney Calhoun from Blueshift because he never met or talked to Gordan in the game.
The Barney Calhoun in HL2 is not the guy from Blueshift only. He's every Barney mixed in one.
I totally agree on that. That's why we'll see Eli and kleiner back, but no Adrian...
anyways, he'd seem out of place.

Actually better yet.

Go email Gabe and ask him wether there doing a straight sequel from HL1 or if there doing a 'Arthur.c.clarke's rewriting of 2001 to fit better with the movies version in his book 2010' HL2.

^If they intend to touch up the original story in the Hl1 source port then you could be right.

I totally agree on that. That's why we'll see Eli and kleiner back, but no Adrian...
anyways, he'd seem out of place.

you honestly wouldn't know anything about it. With the information we have here I find it out of place that there's several scientists and security guards from an american research facility in a east-european city.

bicka you noob, just because there were lots of cloned security guards (due to memory constraints) with the filename barney.mdl does NOT make them Barney Calhoun - there is only one barney CALHOUN - hes the guy you see banging on the door on the train ride...

just the same as there is only one adrian shepherd...it wouldnt take much to introduce shepherd anyway.

G-Man, Gordon this is Adrian Shepherd, he was sent in to kill you, but ended up becoming a bit of a nuisance so I had him put in observation

or something along those lines

move along, nothing to see here, just a stubborn noob

a straight sequel could still include adrian. Even though people haven't played Op4, he still would have been at Black Mesa fending off aliens by himself and finally being detained by G-man himself

I don't think people who had not played op4 will be too confuse if Adrian Shepard is in the game. Just like people who had not played HL1 before should still be able to understand the story of HL2. Just think of the people who had not played HL1 but is now interested in HL2.

Anyway, I am new here.Hi.

G-Man, Gordon this is Adrian Shepherd, he was sent in to kill you, but ended up becoming a bit of a nuisance so I had him put in observation

Actually Shepherd never got his orders :p, you do get some hints that your fellow soldiers are after him.

Stepping out of their respective shoes for a moment, I wonder how Adrian and Gordon would feel about meeting each other... Would each regard the other as someone who went through the same experience as them? Or would Gordon just regard Adrian as another stupid grunt, and Adrian regard Gordon as "That bastard who took out three platoons"...?

OK this is a pretty big thread and I can't read it all - so apologies if this has already been said.

BUT remember that Half-life 2, in terms of the story, isn't a game, it's a "world". And in this "world" Adrian Shepard is an important character. The fact is the G-man wouldn't just dispose of him (or maybe he did, who knows) so he could indeed have a part to play in the future of the half-life story. Probably not HL2 but quite possibly an expansion pack.

we11er said:
OK this is a pretty big thread and I can't read it all - so apologies if this has already been said.

BUT remember that Half-life 2, in terms of the story, isn't a game, it's a "world". And in this "world" Adrian Shepard is an important character. The fact is the G-man wouldn't just dispose of him (or maybe he did, who knows) so he could indeed have a part to play in the future of the half-life story. Probably not HL2 but quite possibly an expansion pack.

i agree on that, i'm ready to bet my cat that we won't see adrian in HL2, but maybe he'll be back in some expansion or maybe HL3?

Why not in HL2, if in HL3? What's the essential difference, apart from a number?

The problem with Corporal Sephard is that the character has bound a much bigger event in the story telling. Gess what? Yup, the Black Mesa nuking. In Half-Life it doesn't happens or you aren't aknowledged of it, but at the end of Opposing Force it's clearly stated. If the (suceful) nuking of Black Mesa wasn't planned by Mark Laidlaw but the Gearbox crew, then it basically destroy a lot of possible side-histories. How did Barney, Dr. Kleiner and Dr. Vance (who where basically near you when the resonance cascade happened, but without any HEV suit to protect him) among others, survived the nuke?

Anyway that's only one of the several problems.

Mark Laidlaw and VALVe were working with the Gearbox crew. Barney, his friends, and other scientists presumably found ways out before BM was nuked... Eli losing his leg in the process...

Rafael said:
The problem with Corporal Sephard is that the character has bound a much bigger event in the story telling. Gess what? Yup, the Black Mesa nuking. In Half-Life it doesn't happens or you aren't aknowledged of it, but at the end of Opposing Force it's clearly stated. If the (suceful) nuking of Black Mesa wasn't planned by Mark Laidlaw but the Gearbox crew, then it basically destroy a lot of possible side-histories. How did Barney, Dr. Kleiner and Dr. Vance (who where basically near you when the resonance cascade happened, but without any HEV suit to protect him) among others, survived the nuke?

Anyway that's only one of the several problems.

Well, from Blue Shift we see that Barney Calhoun got out by using old teleportation equipment. He then drove off into the sunset with three other scientists. He managed to escape just as Freeman got dragged away by the marines. So he had plenty of time to get far enough away.

Dr Kleiner and Dr Vance could have easily found another way to escape. They had quite a lot of time from the start of Half-Life to the end of Opposing Force (Opposing Force's ending takes place after Half-Life's ending). Maybe they found an old service tunnel or something to take them to the service. Maybe they got in that Helicopter you see at the start of the game.

Back