what branch of the military should I join?

Which branch of the (US) Military should I join?

• Air Force

Votes: 26 46.4%
  • Navy

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Army

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • Marines

Votes: 14 25.0%

• Total voters
so soldiers should put their lives at risk for natural resources?

join the one with orange Humvees!

dukes-humvee.jpg

The mission in Afghanistan was not started by a lie. The taliban wouldn't give up Osama, and so Nato took out the Taliban. We're now in the process of putting in a new government, although there are some issues with that.

Yes Canada has taken a more aggressive role in Afghanistan. That doesn't make me more afraid to do the JOB I SIGNED UP TO DO. When you sign the dotted line you should know exactly what you're getting into.

Synthos said:
The mission in Afghanistan was not started by a lie. The taliban wouldn't give up Osama, and so Nato took out the Taliban. We're now in the process of putting in a new government, although there are some issues with that.

a few issues? that's understating the obvious. Opium production at an all time high, after decades of virtually 0 production, women's rights worse than during the taliban, security non existant except for the "green" areas

Synthos said:
Yes Canada has taken a more aggressive role in Afghanistan. That doesn't make me more afraid to do the JOB I SIGNED UP TO DO. When you sign the dotted line you should know exactly what you're getting into.

so if harper sends you to iraq, you'll go? despite it being unjust? ..that whole "I was just following orders" justiciation ended with the nuremberg trials

hey guys thanks a lot for the interest in my question. To be frank, I do not agree with what the military is doing in Afghanistan and Iraq. The reason I have given the military serious consideration is because they are not as picky as a private employer when it comes to recruiting someone.

My choices are either a white-collar (office) job, a blue-collar (McDonalds) job, or the military. The first one is a long shot (I have a college degree, but no work experience), the second one, well, who wants to work at McDonalds anyway? As for the latter one, they will take me in...

If harper sends us in (which I highly doubt he will) then yah, I'd go. I know what I commited myself to. Harper though, would be commiting political suicide if he sent us in there.

You're right about the opium. It's production has exploded. However, you're wrong about the women's rights thing.. I'll get a link for you in a bit

Synthos said:

I disagree and I have a few links of my own:

http://www.amnesty.org.uk/news/press/15632.shtml

http://www.hrw.org/press/2002/12/herat1217.htm

http://www.afghan-web.com/woman/

http://www.rawa.org/cnn-chat.htm

"Question: How do the rights of women under the Northern Alliance compare with those under the Taliban?

SABA: In fact, let me tell you that there was not a big difference between [the way the] Taliban were treating women and the way Northern Alliance was treating women.

Glirk Dient said:
Thanks for being a fine example of how ignorant some people can be. Now...tell me how a recruiter is going to be sent to the front lines of Iraq? His job remains in the states during peace or war time. Same with many many technical jobs...hence the "Chair Force"

Where does it say that he wants to be a recruiter?

SixThree said:
Where does it say that he wants to be a recruiter?

Where does it say he wants to be in the infantry on the front lines?

I am sorry...just because your ignorant doesn't mean everyone else needs to be as well.

Original Poster said:
Which branch of the military should I join?
If you have to ask on an internet forum...none of them.

Large self esteem: Check
Registered recently: Check
Verbose posts: Check
Controversial subject matter: Check

I smell KngHenry in the air. But I might be paranoid.

-Angry Lawyer

When there was a big debate over homosexuality, Lou created a thread that turnedinto a homo flame war.

Now there's a debate on the military, and keltar makes a miltary thread.

rofflewaffles if you don't think it's kngHenry

kelt'ar said:
hey guys thanks a lot for the interest in my question. To be frank, I do not agree with what the military is doing in Afghanistan and Iraq. The reason I have given the military serious consideration is because they are not as picky as a private employer when it comes to recruiting someone.

My choices are either a white-collar (office) job, a blue-collar (McDonalds) job, or the military. The first one is a long shot (I have a college degree, but no work experience), the second one, well, who wants to work at McDonalds anyway? As for the latter one, they will take me in...

What degree do you have?

Nat Turner said:
What degree do you have?
Computer Science. I ended up with good grades, and from a decent school. But as I mentioned in my previous message, without work experience or any internship, very few employers are willing to hire me. At least that's how the career advisors I have talked to rationalize the fact that I've been called for only one interview despite sending out at least a hundred resumes (which were written with the help of those same career advisors) in the past couple months. College grads are a dime dozen nowdays.... And with all the oursourcing of jobs to India, it's even worse.

kelt'ar said:
Computer Science. I ended up with good grades, and from a decent school. But as I mentioned in my previous message, without work experience or any internship, very few employers are willing to hire me. That's how my career advisors rationalize the fact that I have been called for only one interview despite sending out at least a hundred resumes. College grads a dime dozen nowdays.... And with all the oursourcing of jobs to India, it's even worse.

Why didn't you ever get an internship while in school? What was your GPA? Which uni?

Nat Turner said:
Why didn't you ever get an internship while in school? What was your GPA? Which uni?
I did try to get an internship for the summer before my junior year and another one for the summer before my senior year... but that's all a catch 22 if you know what I mean. Without work experience your chances of getting an internship are slim, and without internships your chances of getting a job in the future are also slim.

As for my GPA, I ended up with what amounts to roughly 90% of 4.0. The school was ranked Top35 the last time I checked. Not great, but not terrible either.

PS: Interesting that noone said the Navy. Working on an aircraft carrier would have been my first choice.

dantewilliams said:
Please dear god dont join the army. They are poorly trained and have a higher casualty rate. I recently joined the marines, i have done alot of research and found them to be the most professional and the best. Also dont JOIN BASED OFF AN HL2 POLL. Go to each recruiting station and find out which is best for you, if you are genuinely interested.
You don't know what you speak of, except for the not joining based off an HL2 poll (although it's maybe knghenry anyway)

Glirk Dient said:
Where does it say he wants to be in the infantry on the front lines?

I am sorry...just because your ignorant doesn't mean everyone else needs to be as well.

You sure like that word, don't you?

The guys voting for air force: you know that there is a hard-to-pass physical exam and your body has to be perfect?

My uncle tried to join the Air force, but was turned down because of a minor bodily defect.

15357 said:
The guys voting for air force: you know that there is a hard-to-pass physical exam and your body has to be perfect?

My uncle tried to join the Air force, but was turned down because of a minor bodily defect.
Don't think that applies here in the US.

You don't even need 20/20 vision here.

MiccyNarc said:
Don't think that applies here in the US.

You don't even need 20/20 vision here.

No, you definitely need 20/20 vision. My science teacher wanted to be a pilot, but she said they didn't let her in because she wasn't 20/20. And that's without glasses or laser eye surgery.

SixThree said:
You obviously don't know the definition.

I don't think you do. You assume that if you join the military your going to die. This is ignorant because a majority of the military doesn't even get sent to war when we are at war, hence no chance of them being shot from enemy combatants. Not to mention many of the troops over there aren't on the front lines, they either hold territory or fill supply positions. Hence your statemenet was ignorant because you didn't know any of that and made assumptions based on you not knowing anything.

Synthos said:
well, I'm Canadian.

That aside, the US is doing something good for the Iraqi's. Saddam was no bunny. A lot of the people in Iraq were happy that the US took him out. The insurgents aren't necessarily Iraqi's. I'd say most of them are from other countries.

AHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHH
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

*breath*

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

its funny because everybody in the army or marines or whatever sound brainwashed. I'm sure before they went, they were like "OMG GHEY!" Then they get in..."Hmm, the *Branch* is the best of them all, I love the government!"

D: CONCPERACY!*sp....I can't spell, sue me!*

CyberPitz said:
its funny because everybody in the army or marines or whatever sound brainwashed. I'm sure before they went, they were like "OMG GHEY!" Then they get in..."Hmm, the *Branch* is the best of them all, I love the government!"

D: CONCPERACY!*sp....I can't spell, sue me!*

They MUST be brainwashed...it's not like they have a better understanding of the situation by being on the ground rather than seeing everything on TV or anything.

OvA said:
They MUST be brainwashed...it's not like they have a better understanding of the situation by being on the ground rather than seeing everything on TV or anything.
EXACTLY! Bout time someone understands.

Air Force, hands down. You get to ****ing bomb people.

bvasgm said:
Which branch of the military should I join?
If you have to ask on an internet forum...none of them.
qfmft

I plan on joining the Navy after I go to college and I never want to operate with someone who is so indecisive that they resort to making a huge, life changing decision based off of a poll on an online gaming forum.

Back