What do they mean with "Valve's back catalog available on Steam!" ?

PlayingMantis

Reaction score
If one attempts to buy the Silver package via STEAM, one gets the following message:

Half-Life 2 Silver

This offer contains the items listed below:

Half-Life 2 *
Counter-Strike: Source
Day of Defeat: Source *
Half-Life: Source *
Condition Zero
Condition Zero Deleted Scenes
Counter-Strike
Team Fortress Classic
Day of Defeat
Half-Life
Deathmatch Classic
Opposing Force
Ricochet
Source SDK

So what IS this "back catalog"? Does it mean that I get ALL of the games listed in full? Or is it something else?

On another note, if I purchase the retail version of the game early at a store (that breaks the streetdate) will I be able to activate and/or play the game BEFORE 12:00 AM PST on the 16th? Although it has been discussed before, it is still not totally clear.

Thank you.

On the note of broken street date, I dont think so, because Steam, until valve presses that little red button, recognizes HL2 as preload, and since all you will be doing is adding HL2 to your account you will have to wait with all the other people untill 12AM Valve time.

It just means every game ever released on Steam. basically the list of games you just wrote.

yes you get all those games with out the *. but No you can't play HL2 if you get it early at the store.

back catalogue, its a basic phrase. it means "the old stuff". so you are getting the old stuff as well as hl2 etc.

Another question: If I purchase the game with my friend's creditcard (I don't have one myself) who will own the game?? Since my friend's name is the one being used during purchase, apparently the game will be registered to HIS name and not mine! So who owns the game in Valves view (juristically)?

From Valve's POV, whoever owns the account owns the game. They might send you an e-mail with your friend's name on, but that's not used for anything else as far as I can tell.

PlayingMantis said:
Another question: If I purchase the game with my friend's creditcard (I don't have one myself) who will own the game?? Since my friend's name is the one being used during purchase, apparently the game will be registered to HIS name and not mine! So who owns the game in Valves view (juristically)?
I would guess it's tied to the Steam account, so you own it. Your friends name is just the authentification details on the card. I wouldn't be surprised if you have problems using the same card for different copies like that though - you may have to pre-arrange that with Valve in case it flags up as fraud.

It is indeed tied to the Steam account.

Don't ever lose your Steam account details!

Last question: I have preloaded all HL2 files so far, but I am considering purchasing HL2 (via Steam) using a NEW account (for security reasons). Now, can I somehow transfer (or re-use) the files I have already preloaded to the new account (using some back up/transfer tool)? Or will I have to download everything again (for the new account)?

VALVe's back catalogue is everything that VALVe has created in the past.

You could probably drag and drop the information from your old account. If your afraid somebody is using your account, please change the password immediantly.

Last question: I have preloaded all HL2 files so far, but I am considering purchasing HL2 (via Steam) using a NEW account (for security reasons). Now, can I somehow transfer (or re-use) the files I have already preloaded to the new account (using some back up/transfer tool)? Or will I have to download everything again (for the new account)?

Oh, and yes, you can just leave them where they are. All your content is in the Steamapps folder, which is global for all accounts on that computer.

Back