what do you do when waiting for compiling?

poseyjmac

Reaction score
i make topics like these. :dork: i hate trying to get lighting perfect, and each compile takes 5 minutes. argh! although my map is kinda small, so thats probably not much compared to others here.

5 minutes? My map takes 2.5 hours in total. 12 seconds for BSP, 13 minutes for RAD, and the rest for VIS.

ahh damn! well when i test out lighting i just do fast vis, so that helps speed it up a bit.

Just a very basic question that I never figured out; what exactly does VIS do? I know it's important, but if you leave it off it looks (I think) the same as when you leave it on.

I just stare at the screen, willing the compile to go faster. :hmph:

When I make a rather large map, and I just want to test a few things, I usually break it off into several smaller maps and cap them off with nodraws and the such ... It cuts my compile time just for testing down dramatically.

The downside is that you can't see transitions very well, and it's a pain in the ass to make multiple start points, and the such... but if it saves me a 4 hour compile time, it's worth it.

FOr what I do in the meantime ... I usually sit around or play PS2 or something.
Mike

I start by getting food and drink, then I call the family I haven't talked to since I started mapping, and then sit back in my chair wishing I had a working implimentation of netvis. :)

-Viper- said:
Just a very basic question that I never figured out; what exactly does VIS do? I know it's important, but if you leave it off it looks (I think) the same as when you leave it on.

I just stare at the screen, willing the compile to go faster. :hmph:

VIS works out what you can can't see from any given location in your map. Without it, you'd br drawing everything, all the time. It's a tradeoff - tedious compile times mean a faster map. The alternative is realtime visibility culling, and that's a large CPU hit.

Pi Mu Rho said:
VIS works out what you can can't see from any given location in your map. Without it, you'd br drawing everything, all the time. It's a tradeoff - tedious compile times mean a faster map. The alternative is realtime visibility culling, and that's a large CPU hit.

K, thanks. Mystery solved. :p

I learned to play guitar while my maps compiled.

Making cups of tea, or expelling cups of tea. I'm surprised vis is taking so long, my understanding is that rad should be taking up most of the time. Ah well what do I know I've only be running it with vis on fast and rad off (still doing testing at this point with orange maps).

Pi Mu Rho said:
5 minutes? My map takes 2.5 hours in total. 12 seconds for BSP, 13 minutes for RAD, and the rest for VIS.
And if you work it out, the conception of Pi's kids seem to fit in with his mapping.. So we all know what he does while he's waiting for a compile :p

...vis doesn't really take that long, he just doesn't use hint brushes on purpose ;):E

The Dark Elf said:
And if you work it out, the conception of Pi's kids seem to fit in with his mapping.. So we all know what he does while he's waiting for a compile :p

...vis doesn't really take that long, he just doesn't use hint brushes on purpose ;):E

Heh, got to get my quality time somehow :)

lol, vis is so retared. why can't u just manualy make your portals like in unreal? ****in maps compile in less then a min in ued.

thereisaspoon said:
lol, vis is so retared. why can't u just manualy make your portals like in unreal? ****in maps compile in less then a min in ued.
You can in Hammer.. You use Hint Brushes to tell VIS how to cut up your map and speed up the compile.

My latest compile takes about 20 mins on fast. I left it on the other night and it wasnt finished when I got up the next day! Need to do some serious optimizing:p

I never do a fast VIS. I'd rather see the full effect so I know where to optimise.

For some reason I cant make the compile any faster and I cant wait that long!:( How much difference does it make to your map?

I honestly couldn't say, because I don't use it :)

compiling is unhealthy.. i usually go out for a smoke while compiling.

vis isn't my problem.. it's rad which needs the most time.
try to use many func_details .. it cut's down the compile time dramatically.

Well, on a final compile I will proberly be at school. But standard compiles for testing take like 20/60 seconds, so I just sit there and read the log making sure I have no errors.

man, I must be doing something wrong with my map, it never takes more than 5 minutes to compile :p

Worst thing about my compile is hammer crashes if i try to do anything on comp...also my screen is still set to go into power saver and then goes back to log-in (XP) so every 10 mins, must go out to comp from whereever i am and wiggle the mouse...Goin to have to change that setting 4 when my compile times are huge

i talk to the wife ... and while she's talking and i'm not listening, I dream of textures, buildings and scenery.

btw, anyone use the cordon feature? i tried it but it screws my map and seems to compile longer lol ... but i'm a newb so i may be doing it wrong.

When i hit the F9 (and OK) buttons, I start to harass my girlfriend, poke her with pens if shes doing a homework etc :devil: . If shes reading in bed i go and make advances, trying to have sex with her :naughty:

Usually things end up fine. hmm.. maybe this is the reason why my mapping is so slow nowdays :angel:

I just read the log.. it takes a while since I read every occurance of "LEAK" which usually goes for a few pages :p

Back