What do you know about Sweden?

medic

Reaction score
What stuff (dont search on google) do you know about Sweden?
I think it could be fun to read what ppl in USA and countrys like that think and know about my little country. :dozey:

You pronounce it "Sveden" hardy har(thats how you laugh)hardy.

well, you are a skandinavian country, you are not in the eu, you speak swedish (duh), and you have mooses! And no, i don't live in the US...

Yeha we eat Swedish meatballs, its tasty...
And it is pronounce "Sveden, or Sverige on swedish" :)
We´r in the EU, but we dont have the euro...

Originally posted by SpuD
You pronounce it "Sveden" hardy har(thats how you laugh)hardy.
Naw, you pronounce it "Svea Rike" ;)

What do you expect people to know? There are alot of things that can be knowledge... Not even I want to line em all up :)

But its sad... Nearly no one knows we where the most warring country in the world (US doesnt even come close :D)... Invaded Denmark like 30 times... Norway 130 times I believe... We invaded Russia some 20 times too, tell me the country that has done that!!!! Including 15 or so civil wars. And all the ventures down into Germany. But now its been some 200 years since we where in any kind of armed conflict.

USA is a child :dork:

Thats nice dawdler, really that is.

Although, relative to other countries the US could be seen as a child yes.

This isn't just Sweden but its funny anyway. On the euros, Scandinavia looks a lot like a mans private parts, because Norway isn't there.

Farrow: hahaha, I just saw that picture of the euros... :D

dawdler: I just agree... USA has alot to lurn from us... ;)

Yeah... And dont forget our cool money, no crappy presidents on them. Just kings and famous people :)
One even have a boy flying on a goose over a farm on it :)

Fun fact: Sweden was the first country in the world to employ paper money.

Originally posted by dawdler
Yeah... And dont forget our cool money, no crappy presidents on them. Just kings and famous people :)
One even have a boy flying on a goose over a farm on it :)

Fun fact: Sweden was the first country in the world to employ paper money.

Bejamin Franklin was not a president. :)

We have the queen on our money, and we don't have presidents in canada, so I win.

I take it you know that the chinese were the first with paper money?

Yeah to tell you the truth, i dont know anythin about sweden. except that i guess maybe its got alot of hills.

Did you know we have wiking reservates(spelled?) Like you have with the indians... :p

Originally posted by Archangel
I take it you know that the chinese were the first with paper money?
*in modern form

Second Fun Fact: Sweden has been claimed to be the mythological Atlantis. (beats me how, but it has)

And I hope US will NOT learn from us. Its a booring country. We have a SERIOUSLY degraded defence, someone should take out the politicians and have them shot (though there is a risk the ammo costs too much, and it wont be done). The idiots have even decided to move air defence AWAY from the capital. Do they expect the enemy to think "Oh, these poor Stockholmers, we cant bomb them... Lets bomb this defended southern part instead!"? But noooooo... They move the airplanes away, close down the airfields, giving them 1 minute or so effective combat time over our capital :dozey:

Our "leaders" is ****ed up! I cant understand how ppl can vote on them... :/

Originally posted by medic
What stuff (dont search on google) do you know about Sweden?
I think it could be fun to read what ppl in USA and countrys like that think and know about my little country. :dozey:

Hmm Sweden.

Logic Bomb, Miranda :thumbs: :thumbs:

Originally posted by medic
What the hell are you talking about ???

You said the USA could learn a lot from your country. But you made spelling mistakes. They are laughing that the irony of it.

Farrowlesparrow: Ok then i know... :) Dident ment to lurn that kind of stuff... ;)

Ohhh! a thread about Sweden.
how nice!

But come on guys!
You are embarrassing us.
If it is so hard to spell then atleast get a decent spell checker.
like this one: http://www.iespell.com/

And about sweden being atlantis...
Olof Rudbeck, the man who wrote the book Atlantican in where he claimed that Sweden was the lost atlantis, was a complete moron. ;)

Ohh you want fun notes, here you go:
The danes accused everyone in sweden of being devil worshipers after we attacked Denmark by simply walking over the ice in the winter 1658.
They gave up without a fight. :)
After that the danes used to scare their children by threatening that the swedes would come and get them. :E

They were right you know! :devil:

(can't guarantee that all facts are correct... but they should be)

alot of u fantasy freaks have scandinavian mythology to thank for all the creatures like elfs and stuff :] Scandinavian religion..dont know the english word..hmm asabelif or something is one of the most intresting religions of them all! :D

if ur intrested check out http://www.ginnungagap.info/ggeindex.html

Originally posted by Idolon
Ohh you want fun notes, here you go:
The danes accused everyone in sweden of being devil worshipers after we attacked Denmark by simply walking over the ice in the winter 1658.
They gave up without a fight. :)
After that the danes used to scare their children by threatening that the swedes would come and get them. :E

They were right you know! :devil:

(can't guarantee that all facts are correct... but they should be)
Uh oh the danish children are afraid that the swedes are going go get them and gobble them up like little swedish meatballs.

I didn't know anything about Sweden, but based on your posts I can tell they are a bunch of anti-American nationalists.

so what? the americans are just a bunch of europe-hating nationalists, so its just equal.

I don't hate Europe, and neither do most Americans that I know. I lived in Europe for 10 years (longer then I did in US)

I don't hate Europe....I just hate France.

Um I met a Swedish guy on-line once and this is what I learned:

In early historic times, Svealand was inhabited by the Svear (mentioned as the Suiones by Tacitus in the late 1st cent. AD). They engaged in wars with their southern neighbors, who inhabited Götaland and who according to an unproved tradition were the ancestors of the Goths. By the 6th cent. AD the Svear had conquered the Götar, with whom they merged. The early Swedes were combined and confused with other Scandinavians (e.g., the piratical Vikings and Norsemen ). The Swedes alone, known as Varangians in Russia, extended (10th cent.) their influence to the Black Sea. The Swedish kings warred for centuries with their Danish and Norwegian neighbors.

St. Ansgar introduced Christianity c.829, but paganism was fully eradicated only in the 12th cent. by Eric IX , who also conquered Finland. The royal authority was weakened before the 13th cent. by the rise of an independent feudal class. The Swedish cities also began to acquire wide rights at that time and were strongly influenced by German merchants of the Hanseatic League , active especially at Visby . In 1319, Sweden and Norway were united under Magnus VII , and in 1397 Queen Margaret I effected the personal union of Sweden, Norway, and Denmark through the Kalmar Union .

However, Margaret's successors, whose rule was centered in Denmark, were unable to control the Swedes. Real power was held for long periods by regents (notably those of the Sture family) chosen by the Swedish diet. Christian II , who asserted his claim to Sweden by force of arms, ordered a massacre (1520) of Swedish nobles at Stockholm. This “Stockholm Blood Bath” stirred the Swedes to new resistance; at Strängnäs , in 1523, they made Gustavus Vasa their king as Gustavus I .

Growth of the Swedish State
The founder of the modern Swedish state, Gustavus eliminated the influence of the Hanseatic League in Sweden, strengthened the central authority, made (1544) the kingship hereditary in the Vasa dynasty, and made Lutheranism the state religion. However, he was unable to regain the southern provinces, held by Denmark. His successor, Eric XIV (reigned 1560-68), began the Swedish conquest of Livonia by taking (1561) its northern section (Estonia).

Swedish interests in E Europe were further enhanced by the marriage of John III (reigned 1569-92), Eric's successor, to the sister of Sigismund II of Poland. Their son, Sigismund III of Poland, was a Roman Catholic; his accession (1592) to the Swedish throne was deeply resented by the Protestant Swedes. He was deposed in 1599, and his uncle became regent and then king of Sweden as Charles IX (reigned 1607-11).

Charles's son, Gustavus II (Gustavus Adolphus; reigned 1611-32), made Sweden a great European power. Through a war with Russia, he acquired (1617) Ingermanland and Karelia; from Poland he took nearly all of Livonia. By his victories at Breitenfeld (1631) and Lützen (1632) in the Thirty Years War , Gustavus made Sweden the dominant Protestant power of continental Europe. Axel Oxenstierna , appointed chancellor by Gustavus in 1612, was highly influential during Gustavus's reign and the first half of the reign of Queen Christina (1632-54).

In the 17th cent. Swedish colonial aspirations in North America (see New Sweden ) proved short-lived. The Peace of Westphalia (1648; see Westphalia, Peace of ), which ended the Thirty Years War, gave W Pomerania , Wismar , and the archbishopric of Bremen to Sweden, making the Swedish kings princes of the Holy Roman Empire. Charles X , who became king on the abdication (1654) of Christina, successfully led wars against Poland and Denmark. The southern provinces of Sweden were definitively recovered from Denmark in 1660. Under Charles XI (reigned 1660-97), Sweden became an absolute monarchy, and the great nobles lost their independence.

In the Northern War (1700-1721), which broke out shortly after the accession of Charles XII (reigned 1697-1718), Sweden was crushed after gaining its greatest military triumphs (e.g., at Narva and in Livonia). Under the treaties of Stockholm (1720) and Nystad (1721), Sweden ceded the archbishopric of Bremen to Hanover, part of Pomerania to Prussia, and Livonia, Ingermanland, and Karelia to Russia. Internally, Sweden was torn in the 18th cent. by political intrigue and civil discord. Ulrica Eleonora (d.1741) succeeded her brother, Charles XII, in 1718, but abdicated (1720) in favor of her husband, Frederick I (d. 1751), a prince of Hesse-Kassel.

The constitution of 1720 gave increased powers to the Riksdag (diet) and the political scene was dominated (1738-65) by the faction known as the Hats, who favored an aggressive anti-Russian policy in alliance with France and who represented the nobility and the bureaucracy. They were successfully challenged in 1765 by the Caps, who sought peaceful relations with Russia and who represented the lesser estates. In 1751 the house of Oldenburg-Holstein-Gottorp gained the Swedish throne when Adolphus Frederick became king. His son, Gustavus III (reigned 1771-92), restored absolutism in 1772 but was later assassinated by a conspiracy of nobles. Gustavus IV (reigned 1792-1809), a despotic ruler, involved Sweden in war with Napoleon I and then (1806-9) with Russia. A coup (1809) placed his uncle, Charles XIII , on the throne, and later in the same year Sweden was forced to cede Finland to Russia.

A constitutional monarchy was established by the constitution of 1809, which, although modified considerably (e.g., in 1866 and 1969), remained in effect until Jan. 1, 1975. From 1810, Swedish affairs were in the hands of Charles's adopted heir, Marshal Bernadotte (later Charles XIV ). Sweden again joined the allies against Napoleon in 1813; this was the last war in which Sweden has participated. The Congress of Vienna compensated (1814) Sweden for its loss of Pomerania and Finland with Norway , which remained a separate kingdom in personal union with Sweden until 1905.

Sweden since 1814
The history of 19th-century Sweden, under Charles XIV (reigned 1818-44), Oscar I (1844-59), Charles XV (1859-72), and Oscar II (1872-1907), was one of progressive liberalization in government and of industrial development. Freedom of the press (1844) and internal free trade (1864) were established, and the suffrage bill of 1865 enfranchised the middle class. The accelerated industrial development of the late 19th cent. was accompanied by the rise of the Social Democratic party, which dominated Swedish politics after 1920. From 1870 to 1914 about 1.5 million Swedes emigrated to the United States, mostly to the Midwest.

Relations with Norway were strained throughout the 19th cent., and in 1905 the union of Norway and Sweden was peacefully terminated. Under Gustavus V (reigned 1907-50), Sweden averted involvement in World War I and II, making armed neutrality the basis of its foreign policy, and, except for the early 1920s and early 1930s, enjoyed economic prosperity. Universal taxpayer suffrage was introduced in 1907, and in 1910 a workers' compensation insurance law began the long series of Swedish welfare legislation. Sweden entered the United Nations in 1946, and Dag Hammarskjöld , a Swedish diplomat, was secretary-general of the organization from 1953 until his death in 1961. In 1950, Gustavus VI ascended the throne; he was succeeded in 1973 by Charles XVI Gustavus . Sweden refused to join the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) in 1949 in order not to compromise its neutrality, and for similar reasons withdrew its first application for full membership in the European Community in 1971.

The Social Democrats, led by Tage Erlander from 1946 to 1969 and thereafter by Olof Palme, controlled the government after 1945, usually at the head of coalition governments. Considerable new social welfare legislation was passed, but from the mid-1960s Swedish economic growth slowed, and there were sizable increases in unemployment and in the rate of inflation in the early 1970s. Palme was replaced in 1976 by Thorbjörn Fälldin, a Center party member who led a coalition that ended 44 years of domination by the Social Democrats.

The period was marked by a heated national debate over nuclear power. Fälldin resigned in 1978 when he was forced to compromise on his decision to halt the building of nuclear power plants. Ola Ullsten became prime minister briefly, but Fälldin was returned to power after a general election in 1979. In 1982 the Social Democrats resumed power under the leadership of Olof Palme, who was assassinated by an unidentified gunman in 1986. Palme was succeeded by Ingvar Carlsson. In 1991 the Social Democrats lost power and Carl Bildt, a Conservative, became prime minister; his government enacted austerity measures.

Carlsson and the Social Democrats were returned to power in the 1994 elections. Carlsson resigned as prime minister in 1996 and was succeeded by his finance minister, Göran Persson, who continued in office following the 1998 elections, despite a setback for the Social Democrats. In 2002, Swedish voters again returned the Social Democrats to power, this time with an increased percentage of the vote. Sweden has deregulated many sectors of its economy while retaining its welfare state, and the country has experienced steady growth since the mid-1990s.

Heres the rest:

Sweden falls into two main geographical regions: the north (Norrland), comprising about two thirds of the country, which is mountainous (except for a narrow strip of lowland along the Gulf of Bothnia); and the south (Svealand and Götaland), which is mostly low-lying and where most of the population lives. About 65% of Sweden's land area is forested, and less than 10% is arable. The country has several large rivers, which generally flow in a southeastward direction; these include the Götaälv, the Dalälven, the Indalsälven, the Ångermanälven, the Umeälv, the Skellefteälven, the Luleälv, and the Torneälv. There are also a number of large lakes, including lakes Vänern, Vättern, Mälaren, Storsjön, Hjälmaren, Siljan, and Uddjaur. The highest point in Sweden is Kebnekaise (6,965 ft/2,123 m), located in the Kölen (Kjölen) Mts. in Lapland . The country is divided into 24 provinces ( län ).

The great majority of the nation's population speaks Swedish and is descended from Scandinavian tribes (see Germans ); there is a sizable Finnish-speaking minority and a small Lapp-speaking minority. About 12% of the population is foreign born. Most Swedes belong to the Evangelical Lutheran Church; the metropolitan see is at Uppsala . It was long the official state church, but it was disestablished in 2000.

The educational and cultural level in Sweden is high, and the school system is outstanding. There are universities at Göteborg, Karlstad, Linköping, Lund, Örebro, Stockholm, Umeå, Uppsala, and Växjö. The Nobel Prizes (except the Peace Prize) are awarded annually in Sweden. Social welfare legislation has long been advanced and comprehensive, providing for pensions, maternity benefits, health insurance, and allowances for all children.

Sweden is a highly industrialized country and has one of the highest living standards in the world. Since 1940 there has been a great movement of workers from farms to cities; nevertheless, agricultural output has increased considerably with the application of scientific farming methods. In the 1990s manufacturing contributed about 20% of the annual national income and agriculture about 2%. Transportation, communication, and trade are also important. Farming is concentrated in the southern part of the country; the leading commodities produced are dairy products, grain (including fodder crops), sugar beets, and potatoes. Large numbers of poultry, hogs, and cattle are raised.

Sweden is one of the world's leading producers of iron ore; important mines are at Kiruna and Gällivare. Copper, lead, and zinc ores and pyrite are also extracted. The country's chief industrial centers are Stockholm, Göteborg , Malmö , Uppsala, Västerås , Helsingborg , and Norrköping . The leading manufactures include iron and steel, machinery, precision equipment, forest products, processed food, chemicals, refined petroleum, construction materials, and motor vehicles. Sweden is known for its decorative and folk arts, fine glassware (made especially at Orrefors ), and high-quality steel cutlery and blades. Much hydroelectric power is generated. The country's beautiful scenery and handsome towns and cities attract large numbers of tourists.

Sweden carries on a large foreign trade, and the value of exports usually slightly exceeds that of imports. The main imports are machinery, manufactured goods, motor vehicles, foodstuffs, petroleum and petroleum products, and chemicals; the chief exports are machinery, manufactured goods, iron ore, iron and steel, motor vehicles, chemicals, and forest products. The principal trade partners are Germany, Great Britain, Denmark, France, Norway, Finland, and the United States. Sweden was a member of the European Free Trade Association from 1960 to 1994; in 1995 it joined the European Union .

Swed. Sverige, officially Kingdom of Sweden, constitutional monarchy (1995 est. pop. 8,822,000), 173,648 sq mi (449,750 sq km), N Europe, occupying the eastern part of the Scandinavian peninsula. It borders on Norway in the west, on Finland in the northeast, on the Gulf of Bothnia in the east, on the Baltic Sea in the south, and on the Øresund (The Sound), the Kattegat, and the Skagerrak in the southwest. The country includes several islands, notably Gotland and Öland , in the Baltic. Stockholm is Sweden's capital and largest city.

Americans don't hate Europians at all. Well from what I've heard they hate the French though. Its just that Americans get defensive when they hear someone say something about their country that isn't nice.

All this crap about these hating those and all that is just bullshit.
It's just that the haters are to damn loud!
Now stop bitchin' about it.

Thank you and good night.

Back