What do you think about the Manipulator Gun?

Kschreck

Reaction score
What do you think of the Manipulator Gun? Do you think it should be in the game? Personally I think it's the coolest gun in Half-Life 2. It shows a lot of "Originality". What do you think?

Attachments

• the manipulator gun.jpg
    the manipulator gun.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 439
there are in-game movies with the Manipulator..
of course it is a weapon in HL2.

Very original, of course it should be in game (whether it's available all the way through or part of a cheat I don't mind).

Originally posted by razorbill
there are in-game movies with the Manipulator..
of course it is a weapon in HL2.

I don't think that was anything to do with a question he asked... read!! :p

The orange one's great - the blue-beam one isn't nearly as good. But Valve would be pretty stupid to leave the manipulator out - I seriously doubt they will.

Originally posted by El_Chi
The orange one's great - the blue-beam one isn't nearly as good. But Valve would be pretty stupid to leave the manipulator out - I seriously doubt they will.

yeah, whenever they're asked about it they says its "another weapon" which would makes me assume it will be in the game, plus why waste time modelling it and animating it just for the tech demo? it could be useful in several gamemplay scenarios.

Personally it seems like nothing more than a novelty item to me to play with the game's physics. But yeah I suppose it's a cool weapon.

it turns the world into something you can use to your advantage, as a weapon. Not just pushing tables about, but picking up shit and throwing it. do i wanna toss this big ass piece of furniture at that unsuspecting dude, or shott him *ping* *ping* *ping*. HMMM.

So cool, so fun looking. It HAS to be in this game.

-Phision

it seems tho, that the manipulator was created only to show off what you can achieve with the physics in HL2 \:

I was under the impression the fishing rod style weapon isnt in the game but the manipulator weapon shown above IS.

The yellow glow manipulator will definatly be in the game.

The other one with the blue beam will be in the game aswell but as a cheat.

:bounce:

Originally posted by righte0us
it seems tho, that the manipulator was created only to show off what you can achieve with the physics in HL2 \:
And seeing as the physics in HL2 are pretty much unprecedented, the problem with that is...?
The physics system will be incredible and this gun, despite being grotesque amounts of fun (I can already see myself trying to complete the game using the manipulator and nothing else) whilst also letting you interact with the world and use the carefully-constructed physics system to its full potential.

All hail the manipulator - the discerning gentleman's weapon of choice for the future.

Originally posted by El_Chi
All hail the manipulator - the discerning gentleman's weapon of choice for the future.
Heh Heh Heh. :LOL: Right on!

Edit: That would be an awesome sound bite, BTW. :E

-Phision

I am going to want to mod it so i can pick up huge things like cars and striders and stuff.

Could someone say what the difference is between the yellow and blue manipulator guns is?

They yellow one is they one used in gameplay sequences of the e3 Video. I.e when he pulls the radiator out of the wall as a shield and throws the furniture and letters at the strider. it seems to hold things in place in front of the player, and toss them when the buttons released.

The blue one (fishing pole) is used in the tech demo sequence (at the start of the e3 vid) and creates a beam that attaches to an object (such as the ragdoll model or the mattresses). It seems to jsut drag things about.

-Phision

Originally posted by Phisionary
Heh Heh Heh. :LOL: Right on!

Edit: That would be an awesome sound bite, BTW. :E

-Phision

I just got the most fantastic image of Gordon sitting in one of those big smoking chairs, dressed in a velvet dressing gown/smoking jacket and a cravat, patting the manipulator in his lap, Blowfeld stylee.
:cheers:

ROFL! I love it! Anyone got some mad Photoshop skills? That would be sweet! But Me and Chi, it's our idea!!! :cheers:

I'd try, but i bet it would be really had to get the new HL2 gordan sitting in a chair with the manip gun... but so cool....

-Phison

I've got photoshop and I'm not THAT bad (bear in mind that the attached, much happier G-Man was knocked up in about 3 minutes with no real thought or care), but I don't have a pic of:
a) Someone in a smoking chair
b) A 3rd person pic of the manipulator
Anyone care to go on a scavenger hunt?

Attachments

• at the g-bar.jpg
    at the g-bar.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 300
okay, well that's pretty damn twisted....

yeah, if i had taht stuff i bet i could put together something ok, too. if anyone finds that stuff, you know where to find us!

-Phision

Meh - I realised I can't be bothered. I'd rather leave the image fresh and untainted in my mind...
<Giggles>:E

LOL. okay. I might still try... I WAS going to go to sleep, but instead i browsed through 700 chairs in a google image search. found 1 canidate :p i doubt this will all some together though, and MY mad photoshopo skills are too reclusive and shy to be used lightly. :cheese:

ah well. im tired. maybe i WILL sleep.

-Phision

I wonder if it would be possible to complete the game using only the manipulator gun... :cheese:

I think it does more than just show off the physics. Check out how he uses it to push the matresses and junk down the stairwell to block the path. I love the idea of an FPS where you can do more to enemies than just shoot them. Think of the manipulator gun as a substitute for picking stuff up and throwing it. It would be hard to show gordon picking up a big barrell because his hands would have to grab both sides. The manipulator gun is a great design idea to allow people to throw stuff without all that messy hand-to-object interaction.

Gabe has confirmed that the orange manipulator will definitely be in the game, but the blue beam one wont, as it was only for demonstrating the technology.

I heard there was going to be two manpulator guns. One has a blue beam, and the other one doesn't. Personally, I think there are two builds.

No blue manipulator?! I hope your kidding! That looked awesome! Does anyone have any proof that the blue has been left out?

Also, what would be really cool, is a manipulator where the yellow is primary and the blue is secondary. *looks dreamy*

Originally posted by yeggz
No blue manipulator?! I hope your kidding! That looked awesome! Does anyone have any proof that the blue has been left out?

Also, what would be really cool, is a manipulator where the yellow is primary and the blue is secondary. *looks dreamy*

The one with the blue beam was in the tech demo, which was another and earlier build. The other videos show another later build.

Oh, so the yellow one is just a heavily updated blue one? *CRIES*

that means no blue one. Oh well. Half Life - blue manip gun = still best game ever :)

Erm... Sorry, but the blue manipulator was crap. The orange one's better and more practical by far.

The weapon is indeed badass, but the weapon itself looks.....meh.

It seems stupid that they would create a different model variation and a blue beam effect for just a demonstration, however it has been confirmed that only the orange gun will feature in the game (you could email gabe to confirm this if you like). Whether or not valve will eventually decide to include both guns (due to threads like these) is anybody's guess. The blue gun will probably be accessable using a cheat, but in the sp campaign, it would be a bit stupid to have both. How would they bring it into the story?? It would be silly to have two prototype weapons that look so similar to eachother being developed in the hl2 story. It cant be a alt fire mode as the alt fire throws the thing you are carrying.

I think the blue one wouldn't be that useful in the game, other than to play around with the physics.

could someone quote gabe saying the blue one won't be in the game? as far as i remember he has never said that, he simply said the orange one would be in the game and when asked about the other he says "it's a different weapon" why wouldnt he just say "that was only for demo purposes" ?? i think its probably an alien weapon which you get later in the game, which would explain why they're not giving a straight answer regarding it.

The fishing pole one isnt that much of a weapon. It would be a clumsy weapon as alls you can do it pick something up and move it around, trying to swing a box at a combine solider? Cant see that happening.

It would actually be like putting a brick on a fishing rod and running after someone with it. You wouldnt have much control over it.

hi, i just decided to register ive been at this forum for months now, but how you are all saying it will be in the game if you want proof, just go play the 600mb video and find the spot were gordon nocks over the computer monitor, before he does sitting beside the monitor you can see the gravity gun very clearly

Originally posted by 82ross
The fishing pole one isnt that much of a weapon. It would be a clumsy weapon as alls you can do it pick something up and move it around, trying to swing a box at a combine solider? Cant see that happening.

It would actually be like putting a brick on a fishing rod and running after someone with it. You wouldnt have much control over it.

it would be useful for puzzle problems *shrug*

Back