What ever happend to our little Houndeye and Bullsquid buddies?

S

Sinister_Elite

Im half and half on the Storyline and such. I pretty much know whats going on, but im not really sure what rumors and such are out there. Ive heard that the Mini-Striders are possibly Houndeye synths, in a way I hope they are, the Houndeyes were my favorite HL enemy!. Also, what happend to the Bullsquids?

You guys know more than I do, so can you fill me in? :E

I honestly doubt the Hunters are Houndeye synths. Just no.

As for the Bullsquids and Houndeyes - they are still out there, roaming the wasteland that is Earth along with every other xenian wildlife creature.

Sinister_Elite: "Ive heard that the Mini-Striders are possibly Houndeye synths, in a way I hope they are, the Hou--"

/me comes crashing into the thread

Nooooooooooooo! Shh, shh, don't say it. You're new here--welcome to the forums, btw!--but I outlawed people talking about that ridiculous theory a few weeks ago. It's false, so we don't want to dredge it back up again, eh? ;)

And as Samon said, houndeyes and bullsquids are still roaming around in the wild. We might actually get to see them sometime (hopefully sooner rather than later).

They were in the alpha, but they were taken out for some reason

Because there was no logical place to put them in Half-life 2.

Because there was no logical place to put them in Half-life 2.
I disagree. A bullsquid or two could have made into the canals. I know they should have been killed off by now but the damned barnacles managed to survive now didn't they? At least they could've stuffed one into the radioactive sludge.

It would have just been cheap. If they are going to put them in, from a gameplay perspective they need to be common place, and need to have purpose within the rest of the gameworld - not just casually thrown into the toxic sludge for a brief appearance. To which they'd have been killed off anyway, and not standing around in the middle of an open canal system waiting for the nearest cop to shoot him down.

Most enemies in Half-life 2 are set up in such a way that their presence is logical. Barnacles weren't killed because I'm sure nobody bothered wandering through the tunnels, and they mostly appeared in the blocked off areas. A section would need to be designed specifically for the Bullsquid, and there was just no need. Instead of saying "Oh, we'll just stick one in." Valve were smart enough to simply leave them out completely.

I'm sure Half-life 2 would not have been better off with Bullsquid sections here and there, soley for the Bullsquid.

I disagree. A bullsquid or two could have made into the canals. I know they should have been killed off by now but the damned barnacles managed to survive now didn't they? At least they could've stuffed one into the radioactive sludge.

Actually, they should have appeared in Ep1. The Combine defenses went down after the reactor was wrecked.

The wasteland around City 17 is actually pretty minimal. Its simply abandoned countryside - the deeper you go, the deeper the alien threat gets. The Combine would have been able to cleanse most of the outer areas. Antlions came rushing in because underground they could easily detect that the Citadel pistons had been shutdown - they'd have always been trying to burrow their way in. I honestly doubt that the Bullsquids would have just come running.

Actually, they should have appeared in Ep1. The Combine defenses went down after the reactor was wrecked.

They never got the chance, Epi One lasted about an hour in HL time.
The antlions were nearer to the City, and their sheer numbers proboaly overwhelmed any other wildlife. If any did make it through, the rebels, combine and zombies would slaughter 'em. They didn't have a place in Epi one, because antlions were dominate.

The antlions were nearer to the City, and their sheer numbers proboaly overwhelmed any other wildlife. If any did make it through, the rebels, combine and zombies would slaughter 'em. They didn't have a place in Epi one, because antlions were dominate.

Alyx: (after the intro) "We've been trying to reach my dad for hours" or something like that. So, the alien threats should have had some time. And no, it was longer than an hour. They took time to re-stabilize the reactor.

I'll concede to the fact that the countryside had limited wildlife. Seeing some minor battles of Antlions vs Combine vs other wildlife would have been nice though. But I suppose it would be a better idea to introduce them in EP2.

8 hours pass since the teleport reactor explosion, and when we start off with Gordon and Alyx they spend the next 5-6 or so hours escaping the city. That is an extremely short period time and there is absolutely no way a hundred or so Bullsquids will come charging down to the City for no reason, leaving their habitat behind. For City 17 to become part of the wasteland it would take weeks before the wildlife gradually moved in.

Don't be ridiculous. Highway 17 and Sandtraps alone were about 12 hours.

Well, I'm not saying I wanted to see a mass incursion of Xen wildlife. A few encounters would have been nice. At least seeing a few dead aliens lying around if nothing else.

Seeing dead aliens might annoy the player though. Exactly why can't he fight them? Would just be teasing.

Bullsquids have no possible chance to survive in the city17. Where to live? What to eat? How to get rid of CPs? And they cannot stay at beach as well. Either the Combine or antlions dominate the sandy area.

Seeing dead aliens might annoy the player though. Exactly why can't he fight them? Would just be teasing.

Hardly find a person who understands the feeling of us, the HL players :D
oops, you are a HL player...... okay.

You remember the fisherman in the Lost Coast? He was supposed to talk about trapping bullsquid in that cage of his and eating them, so at some point bullsquids were living along the coast near highway 17.

I imagine that Valve won't just discard them; we'll see bullsquids and houndeyes soon again. Demand for them is just too crazy. If Valve considers bringing back Shephard just based on fan demand, think about bullsquids and houndeyes. And they're already modeled.

8 hours pass since the teleport reactor explosion, and when we start off with Gordon and Alyx they spend the next 5-6 or so hours escaping the city. That is an extremely short period time and there is absolutely no way a hundred or so Bullsquids will come charging down to the City for no reason, leaving their habitat behind. For City 17 to become part of the wasteland it would take weeks before the wildlife gradually moved in.

Don't be ridiculous. Highway 17 and Sandtraps alone were about 12 hours.

Thats what I was trying to say.
As for the hour thing...I wasn't thinking about the day-night cycle, otherwise I would have known that. Either way, like you said, its not enough time for the Bullsquids to come.

i hope they bring back some old enemies... I miss alot of them... I miss running from those big ass guys with the guns that shot shit like bees... I dont know all the names.. I also miss xen... I was really looking forward to going back to xen in Half life 2... I want to see xen in all its source glory... I guess I'll just have to wait for Black mesa:Source.

I miss running from those big ass guys with the guns that shot shit like bees... I dont know all the names...
Those aliens are called grunts. :)

I too wish that we'd see Xen just one more time from Valve. Doubt it'll happen, but if I ever had a hope from HL, that'd be it. MORE XEN.

More Xen, hopefully in EP4 or even some mini-game that comes with EP3 *crossed fingures*

If we are going to see more Xen wildlife, we'll most likely see them in Ep2 now that were out in the wastlands.

But maybe they just died out in this part of the world. The climate could be unsuitable for them. i dont know, we'll just have to wait and see.

What about the portal storms. With the Combine defenses down, wouldn't wildlife from Xen be able to pop in? As LaidLaw confirmed the portal storms are still going on. Though I suppose they would be few-and-far between to warrant putting them in.

What about the portal storms. With the Combine defenses down, wouldn't wildlife from Xen be able to pop in? As LaidLaw confirmed the portal storms are still going on. Though I suppose they would be few-and-far between to warrant putting them in.

What has the Combine defences got to do with Portal storms? I'm pretty sure they can't block them, and that they have died down over the years. I'm sure if one ever occured there'd an alert status and everybody would be huddled into their homes and the streets filled with soldiers.

Hmm one would think with the advanced Combine technology they would be able to block energy waves, don't know for sure. Anyway, we are talking about EP1, so they (Overwatch) wouldn't bother issuing a warning for the citizens. I would have liked to see such an event, either in HL2 or EP1.

Hmm one would think with the advanced Combine technology they would be able to block energy waves, don't know for sure. Anyway, we are talking about EP1, so they (Overwatch) wouldn't bother issuing a warning for the citizens. I would have liked to see such an event, either in HL2 or EP1.

The citizins had either fled already, or were in the process of fleeing. Oh, and they were having a massive war with the Overwatch, so why would the Overwatch help them? :rolling:

The citizins had either fled already, or were in the process of fleeing. Oh, and they were having a massive war with the Overwatch, so why would the Overwatch help them? :rolling:

That's what I said. I'm saying there would be no reason for the Overwatch to help them in EP1. And when I said I "would like to see such an event" I meant the portal storms in general, not the Overwatch helping the citizens. I thought I was abundantly clear.

That's what I said. I'm saying there would be no reason for the Overwatch to help them in EP1. And when I said I "would like to see such an event" I meant the portal storms in general, not the Overwatch helping the citizens. I thought I was abundantly clear.

Oh right, I apologise then, rereading your post does garner that information. :cheers:

i wounder if there will be any of the old aliens in ep 2 or 3 or beyond :upstare:
also i wish those little flying things from hl 1 would come back, i loved blasting them out of the sky with the rocketlauncher :LOL: :LOL:

What little flying things? The controllers? The ones with the big heads that shot energy balls? Because we probably won't see them again unless we go to Xen, as they're locked up there. I don't think any of them came through the portal storms.

What little flying things? The controllers? The ones with the big heads that shot energy balls? Because we probably won't see them again unless we go to Xen, as they're locked up there. I don't think any of them came through the portal storms.

Indeed, because none came through the Resonace Cascade (grunts didn't either) and the portal storms are essentailly the same thing.

Mm. Controllers only began appearing thanks to the Nihilanth, and the grunts as well, in most cases.

You know, thinking about that, I wonder if any of the vortigaunts even came over by accident. I doubt it.

You know, thinking about that, I wonder if any of the vortigaunts even came over by accident. I doubt it.
Start of BS, you see a Vort teleport in and curriously inspect a scientist.

Hm. I don't think I noticed that. Was the scientist dead? I'll have to check that out; thanks. I kind of went through Blue Shift in...well, not a rush, but I wasn't paying a terrible amount of attention to everything that went on, not in the detail I did with the other two expansions, since I didn't play BS until it came out on Steam.

The scientist is alive. He then panics and runs off screaming and the Vort gets scared and zaps him, it's a great scene.

Indeed, because none came through the Resonace Cascade (grunts didn't either) and the portal storms are essentailly the same thing.
On the contrary, Grunts DID come through in the portal storms. There's a few scenes where human soldiers are battling some alien grunts. I think it's also where you get the Bee-launcher thing. You're right about the controllers, though. They stayed in Xen.

The scientist is alive. He then panics and runs off screaming and the Vort gets scared and zaps him, it's a great scene.

lol, and the one in OP4 where the Vort tries to attack the hologram?

On the contrary, Grunts DID come through in the portal storms. There's a few scenes where human soldiers are battling some alien grunts. I think it's also where you get the Bee-launcher thing. You're right about the controllers, though. They stayed in Xen.
Well, two different things there. The portal storms didn't happen until Nihilanth's death, and nothing but the vortigaunts seem to have come over after that. They're the only one of the three "intelligent" Xen species (quotations because grunts are dumb) who we've seen on Earth after that.

Before that, the resonance cascade, which was the big accident at Black Mesa, only wildlife came through. Things like vortigaunts, grunts, and controllers were sent by the Nihilanth. So all those times you see grunts fighting marines, they were sent there on purpose. They weren't teleported by accident.

Back