What if it bombs?

S

Satan

If this has been posted before, please disregard. The thought just occured to me, what if Half-Life 2 totally bombs, as so many highly anticipated games do?

Many games are hyped by magazines being the "best this" and the "greatest that" and then end up rating them below a 5 themselves. Lets hope Half-Life 2 doesn't share this fate. It is important to note however that I am not in any way insinuating that this will happen, just thought I'd ask.

I very much doubt it will, but even if its half as good as the first it'll still be better than most fps's.
and if it is, the community will msot likely revive it with endless yrs of mod playing.

:LOL: I don't see, can't even imagine how critics could give Half Life 2 a bad rating, when they probably give those E3's video's 100/10.

Besides if FarCry can pull of 9's our of 10's in most reviews, highly doubt Half Life 2 will. Half Life 2 outdoes FarCry in lots of things graphics(probably debatable), physics as we've seen are much better than FarCry's, most of all STORY... FarCry's sucked a big one and managed to pull good ratings, WOW! Well, we actually don't know how Half Life 2's story is going to come out, but take a look at Half Life, it would be 1 in a trillion chance that it'll suck.

Im sorry Dave. Half Life 2 cannot fail Dave.

I decided to make this post when I was thinking about games such as Deus Ex 2, the orignal was so good but the sequel....oh man.

Satan said:
I decided to make this post when I was thinking about games such as Deus Ex 2, the orignal was so good but the sequel....oh man.

Scientist one:The Administrator assured us nothing could go wrong!
Scientist two: Ah youre right, we have complete confidence in you Valve.

Hehe, lets hope it doesnt have the same outcome as that experiment did.

If HL SP is a bomb (which is most likely not going to happen) I still have CS:S :DDDD

riTuaL said:
If HL SP is a bomb (which is most likely not going to happen) I still have CS:S :DDDD

Also, arent they making a new CS in the source engine as well, where CS:S is just the original counterstrike with some beefed up gfx and physics? I may be mistaken....

look at the sig satan

don't even say it. it just might happen.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

P.S. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUGGGGGHHHHH

riTuaL said:

What he said..

LONG LIVE CS! :D

adulus said:
look at the sig satan

don't even say it. it just might happen.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

P.S. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUGGGGGHHHHH

Well let's hope Murphy was wrong.

I doubt it will suck, they've had 6 years to work on the damn thing, and Doom 3 IT BETTER be good they had over 10 years to figure it out...but shit happens.

Well i don't know about you hobos but i am migrating to CS:S and DOD:S. There is no way in hell i'm going to stick around on CS 1.6 etc.

Even if Half-Life 2 is a shocking game it's still going to be incredibly successful simply because of everything surrounding it. But the question is how could Half-Life 2 be a bad game?

-Bugs
-Story may get too whacky.
-Characters don't flinch when shot (ahaha)
-You can't see Gordons reflection (ahaha)
-Doesn't have water physics (ahaha)
-Doesn't use HDR in game (hohoho)
-No nude Alyx scene (deadly serious)
-Too much media exposure to the gameplay so when people actually start playing, it feels old and mediocre.

I don't think there's anything to really be concerned with at this stage.

this(half-life 2) had better not turn into another Unreal 2...

Satan said:
If this has been posted before, please disregard. The thought just occured to me, what if Half-Life 2 totally bombs, as so many highly anticipated games do?

Many games are hyped by magazines being the "best this" and the "greatest that" and then end up rating them below a 5 themselves. Lets hope Half-Life 2 doesn't share this fate. It is important to note however that I am not in any way insinuating that this will happen, just thought I'd ask.
Well, then we can blame you for jinxing it. ^_^

Impossible. Even if the game was incomplete, and was only the stuff we saw in the videos, I'd be happy.

Mr-Fusion said:
Well i don't know about you hobos but i am migrating to CS:S and DOD:S. There is no way in hell i'm going to stick around on CS 1.6 etc.

Even if Half-Life 2 is a shocking game it's still going to be incredibly successful simply because of everything surrounding it. But the question is how could Half-Life 2 be a bad game?

-Bugs
-Too much media exposure to the gameplay so when people actually start playing, it feels old and mediocre.

-6 Years and still bugs, thats a huge f***-up
-heh, yeah
-hes a vampire
-water is of no importance
-HDR?
-Someone will make pr0n out of it eventually
-thats a good point, but usually this problem happens when people play demos excessivley, something whcih valve wont release until after the game's release.

Mr-Fusion said:

-Bugs

You forgot about Gordon's hands on the steering wheel! :O

Javert said:
Well, then we can blame you for jinxing it. ^_^

Impossible. Even if the game was incomplete, and was only the stuff we saw in the videos, I'd be happy.

Just because you'd be happy doesn't mean everyone would be. If it sucked, it'd bomb. More than likely.
CS:S and the other popular mod conversions however are another story all together

It's possible that HL2 COULD bomb, but it's highly unlikely. Even so, VALVe would be fine seeing as how they have the other ports to back them up

I thought water physics would have been cool in the airboat sequence. The chopper is dropping bombs or something in the water which would have caused ripples, your airboat could do jumps over the ripples.

Mr-Fusion said:
I thought water physics would have been cool in the airboat sequence. The chopper is dropping bombs or something in the water which would have caused ripples, your airboat could do jumps over the ripples.

Wow when I read that I though you said ''your airboat could do jumps over the nipples.'' :O

They've brought *playtesters* in, like merc here, so they'll have a fair idea of what people think of it ........

The DoD team really ringed out the original half-life engine for all it was worth back in the day, i can't imagine what they will have in store (thinking more DoD 2/CS 2 as oppose to source mods).

I think the source mods are just going to be a fill-in (friggin awsome ones at that) till they can really work with the engine to shell out a worthy sequal, and not just prettier 5 year old CS/DoD maps.

Lets this into another another Doom 3 versus Half-Life 2 thread.

I'll start it off.

Doom 3 has better lighting than Half-Life 2. Discuss :D

We know one thing for sure. Doom 3 will have better trash bags than HL2.

Shuzer said:
What he said..

LONG LIVE CS! :D

and the CS junkie has graced us with his presence! :LOL:
honestly.. ur not gonna get very many pple to think HL2 may bomb for obvious reasons.

once the game is released, this thread might be an interesting re-visit sort of read tho :p

Even if Hl2 were to be a bad game, the mods would more than make up the price of the game.

Mr-Fusion said:

-Bugs

Water physics? No thanks I don't want my computer to blow up. That is if you mean totally realistic water physics like dynamic waves.

The characters don't flinch cause they're badass stern motherf*ckers

PatPwnt said:
Water physics? No thanks I don't want my computer to blow up. That is if you mean totally realistic water physics like dynamic waves.

Yeah thats like Far Cry.

Back