What is the purpose of the fan blades that chop the zombies?

Surfer2374 said:
I hope they have a toggle for crouch, Far cry didn't at first but they later patched it in. I hope valve puts in one for us from the get go. I hate holding it down like that while I do see a use for it I would prefer to have a toggle for it as well. Did Half Life have a toggle, if memory serves me correctly I don't think there was one.

A toggle for crouch is really easy to script in anyway;
this should work off the top of my head:
alias down "+duck; bind "" "up"
alias up "-duck; bind "" "down"
bind "" "down"

urseus said:
What seems abit dodgy to me is that no matter where you chop them they still blow up at in the middle of the torso.

If you throw a blade at the knees they should come apart at the knees. What the hell is game makers aversion to gore these days? The dod team pussyed out of gore, and it seems most of the time in HL2 when a rocket hits somone they dont explode into chunks in the way you would if you were hit by a massive rocket, you just flip the fcuk out like WOOOAAAAAAHHH IM SPINNING AROUND ISNT IT KA WAAAAAZY!!!!

Probobly extreamly hard to script...

urseus said:
What seems abit dodgy to me is that no matter where you chop them they still blow up at in the middle of the torso.

If you throw a blade at the knees they should come apart at the knees. What the hell is game makers aversion to gore these days? The dod team pussyed out of gore, and it seems most of the time in HL2 when a rocket hits somone they dont explode into chunks in the way you would if you were hit by a massive rocket, you just flip the fcuk out like WOOOAAAAAAHHH IM SPINNING AROUND ISNT IT KA WAAAAAZY!!!!

Kawaaazy like that rasikally rabbit. While I agree with you I think games like sof2 had a special system built into the engine for those kinds of things and I don't think the source is capable of doing that kind of stuff but I may be wrong. Obvioulsy they can split torsos but what I'm referring to is the stuff you saw in Soldier of Fortune 2. I will add that I think sof2 went over the top quite a bit but it was a nice novelty for the game.

Well painkiller has that nifty system where bodies can get torn apart limb from limb. Arms and legs fly all over the place then ragdoll.

Deliciously gory.

Are you guys dumb ??

Its obivious that the chopping machine is to handle zombies from advancing to determined area .

Or to contain them .

Just imagine , you want to keep away the zombies from your home , you just need to install several chopping machines locally and VOALLAAA ! :naughty:

The spinning blades dont actually serve any real purpose to what you actually want to do, they are just there to give us abit of a laugh.

Kind of like how women have heads.

what pinches my nipples is that gordon (you) have the balls to actually crouch 1 inch under that thing, if you HAD (i dont think he ever had to) to get under that, why would you go so close, i would be lying on my stomach

urseus said:
The spinning blades dont actually serve any real purpose to what you actually want to do, they are just there to give us abit of a laugh.

Kind of like how women have heads.
Agreed :thumbs:

here in holland we have those things all over the place............. we use them to cut zombies in half

That would explain Valve making little tornadoes in source. :)

GorgeousOrifice said:
The bigger question for me is where he found all those beat-up motors and fan blades. I doubt he made them himself considering how trashed they are (and how they're obviously one unit instead of a bunch of parts glued together).

Are you kidding? Father Gregori is the current Junkyard Wars champion :)

He is the Macguyver of the HL universe...

bate18 said:
What is the logical purpose of these things? there seems to be quite a few of them in miscellaneous places. i cant figure any useful function for them except chop zombies in half

...to make people like you post lame threads? ;)

Ravenholm or "traptown" is a horror genre town, according to valve. All these traps (flaming barrels, blades, e.t.c.) are set up by father gregori to kill these zombies.

bate18 said:
is gregori really capable of planting these things into the ground? doesnt seem likely

WTF!?!?! They're just car engines, a metal pole and a piece of sheet metal.

GorgeousOrifice said:
The bigger question for me is where he found all those beat-up motors and fan blades. I doubt he made them himself considering how trashed they are (and how they're obviously one unit instead of a bunch of parts glued together).

Eeeeer from CARS maybe?

bate18 said:
What is the logical purpose of these things? there seems to be quite a few of them in miscellaneous places. i cant figure any useful function for them except chop zombies in half

You probably mean circular saw blades in Ravenholm. I thought of that place like a sawmill, or an Generic Graveyard. So they might be used for cutting down trees or something (You find them in a hut or shack that could easily be a care-takers work-house)

No, I think bate18 means the propeller-like machines in Traptown/Ravensholme, the sole purpose of which seems to be zombie eradication.

What worries me about the choppers is the fact that the blade hitting them chops them in half instantly. At the speed the zombies approach, the blade would slice into their stomachs slowly, but not chop them totally in half. Imagine the speed the zombie would need to step into the area covered by the blade to get totally chopped! :-D

tmmccree said:
What worries me about the choppers is the fact that the blade hitting them chops them in half instantly. At the speed the zombies approach, the blade would slice into their stomachs slowly, but not chop them totally in half. Imagine the speed the zombie would need to step into the area covered by the blade to get totally chopped! :-D

They're not that slow mate......It takes one step to step into the path of one of these blades.

Brian Damage said:
No, I think bate18 means the propeller-like machines in Traptown/Ravensholme, the sole purpose of which seems to be zombie eradication.

Ahh right, now I got you...... Yeah its definately a trap laid by gregorie then :eek:

bate18 said:
is gregori really capable of planting these things into the ground? doesnt seem likely

How hard is it to put a fan blade on a lawnmower engine??

Milo 7 said:
here in holland we have those things all over the place............. we use them to cut zombies in half
haha, i like a country that takes its zombie infestation seriously.

bate18 said:
The purpose of the fan blades that chop the zombies is to be fan blades that chop the zombies.

It's very Zen.

Father Gregori set up traps to help out Gordon, that's the reason for all the traps..

TheRedqueen said:
They're not that slow mate......It takes one step to step into the path of one of these blades.

Judging by the speed of the RPM of the fan blades, thats one heck of a single stride for a zombie to get totally into its cutting zone!

Still an awesome idea though, can't wait to try it :cheese:

They should go one better and make ankle high choppers (might be difficult to turn on unless theres a remote switch). Imagine the zombies getting their feet cut off, then stumbling towards you on stumps!

What happens if Gordon walks into it - does he get flung backwards? Does he get chopped in half? Or does the HEV absorb most of the damage.

You'd think the former, given the way physics are such an important part of the game, wouldn't you? Like in last years E3 vids when the Ant Lion Guard h'butts Gordon backwards.

Back