What is the surprise?

A TF2 date would hardly be "for the community", unless it would be some free add-on to HL2. It would be something for "paying customers who are interested in TF2".

As for what I think? Surprises tend to be something I care the least about, so probably a huge CSS update.

Over two million people play half life based mulitplayer per month. You are one of the few I have seen who think that. I'm afraid your not likley to get your wish here alyks...

Question - Why don't you want it? Is it that you don't have a decent connection, or do you just prefer single player games?

It's not that I don't like multiplayer, it's because I really want to learn more about the story.

I suspect it will be half-life2 death match. Much of the code etc. is already there for it. I imagine the SDK was delayed because they needed to finish tweaking the multiplayer components. TF2 is still a ways off I suspect (but of course an announcement might be comming very soon).

its time for a surprise poll :)

mine are:
- A valve supported mod team releases the first serious mod (free).
- High Dinamic Range rendering mode.
- Extra textures pack for bigass graphic cards.
- Extra stuff for CS:S (models, maps, etc).
- Extra surprising stuff in SDK other than example hl2 mp levels.
- Hl2 based deathmach levels.
- Dod:s (although I doubt it).
- News about TF2/another valve not announced projects.
- Another source port (opposing force, etc).
- Another free content on steam (?)
- Add your thoughs here

It will most likely be news of TF2. Valve said they would give more info on it just after hl2 is released.

I betcha it'll be something to do with the SDK.

like an extra level made with it or something

It has to be the HL3 announcement, or I'm gonna kill everything and everyone everywhere!

Are the ATI levels a contiuation of the hl2 story or have story elements from hl2?

I got a 9800XT, good enough for playing the ATI levles?(I hope its not only for the x800 pro/xt cards!!)

Im making my server at 1:30pm GMT, 6 players, massive map with buggys :), realy fun lol i played it with incy247 last night for about 2hours none stop lol, will anyone play with me ? :E

Audiophile said:
1) Big CS:S update, with the missing maps like militia and assault, and maybe extra models so we can choose again

I really think this is the right one cuz they said they are gonna rls it in nov... anyway... i hope they'll add more lvls (yeah right...) the OICW and the Physgun (PLEASEEEEE).

Well, I think is too early to announce HL3 yet. When I think about "surprise" I expect something touchable for the HL2 owners, not just an announcement of a new product. In that case Valve should say: "Next week we will be releasing the Source SDK, along with an announcement for the community", but is just my opinion.

Although an announcement could be very good, the HL2 community request HL2 multiplayer like hell, and Valve listen us. I really think Valve is not stupid and they considered a lot of times to make a HL2DM, this is so obvius. But certainly, Valve never said to the community why they decided not to make a multiplayer mode. Remember the facts: Gabe stated "we play multiplayer everyday" in summer 2003, when CS:S wasn't even started. In the leaked alpha there was a multiplayer option.

Perhaps the multiplayer mode was declined because Gabe thought is not enough good and revolutionary after all: Valve doesnt want a standard multiplayer mode which make the magazine reviews down the scores. Or perhaps all the thing is a marketing strategy. Oh, I know, Doug lombardi stated in October 29th there is no planned deathmach mode... but who says wasn't finished? technically they could not lied us ;)

i think when we hear what the surprise is a lot of people will be very disappointed, i for one would love tfc:s but i really dont think it'll be here for a long time if at all. i have never been one for cs but i must admit it does play better on source and i am enjoying it, nowhere near as much as tfc though.

Audiophile said:
I think it's one of these:

1) Big CS:S update, with the missing maps like militia and assault, and maybe extra models so we can choose again
2) HL2DM
3) DoD:S (after all, they said it would be coming out "soon" two months ago)

some people seem to think they'll reveal the TF2 release date, but I highly doubt it.
I dont think that would be the surprise...
as we know its coming...

a surprise tends to be something you wouldnt expect
or even know about in any way

Personally, I'd like to see some extra chapters released as the surprise, possibly ones that play from a different point of view, say Barney's or Alyx'. I want to see the story fleshed out a bit more, but that probably isn't going to happen.

HL2DM wouldn't be so bad either, I guess, but after a short while, I'll probably end up finding that to be rather ho-hum like I do most DM multiplay nowadays. Would like to see something HL2 themed multiplayer-wise other than DM - perhaps some sort of 'assault' mode with HL2 vehicles and with a combine vs. resistance theme. That'd be nice.

If it is not more content it will be a disappointment. I do _not_ want to know that hl3 will (maybe) be released in 2009.

CS:S update would be nice.
DoD:S would be nicer.
HL2: DM would be nicest.

New singleplayer content would also be sweet.

.bog.

Tkmaster said:
I dont think that would be the surprise...
as we know its coming...

a surprise tends to be something you wouldnt expect
or even know about in any way

we share the same views my friend :)

we were told that there will be a CS update coming our way with new models and maps .. something we already know can't be counted as a surprise

yeah TFT2 and HLDM can be the surprise but than again .. one might even call hl2 a surprise in that case? :p

i am hoping announcement of hl3 .. reason being they already have a kick ass engine so i dont think so its gonna take THAT long to develop .. maybe they planned it something like matrix ?

I think it's definitely not a CS:S update, because that wouldn't be a surprise, plus we know that's coming in December. My money would go on a HL2 themed multiplayer update. Anyone remember this rumour from just before the HL2 release:

There's going to be a special treat near launch or soon after for those who are upset that Counter-Strike Source is the only multiplayer offered out of the box. I'd hate to ruin the surprise but let's just say traditionalists will be happy even if it's just one map at first. Physics Cannon!

I think you're all getting a bit carried away! It's more likely to just be a video of something new or something like that.

PvtRyan said:
A TF2 date would hardly be "for the community", unless it would be some free add-on to HL2. It would be something for "paying customers who are interested in TF2".

As for what I think? Surprises tend to be something I care the least about, so probably a huge CSS update.

"for the community" Good point. Its got to be for CCS or HL2, I hope its for HL2. :cheese:

I actually want DOD:S more than HL2DM.

Call me stupid.

TF2 S beta would be cool - even better than an announement :)

bam23 said:
I actually want DOD:S more than HL2DM.

Call me stupid.

Well, I dunno is gonna be DOD:S. That couldn't be a surprise since all the silver steam owners payed and all of us know about.

If we apply the same rule that couldn't be the CS:S update because isn't a surprise, since Valve stated they are working on levels/models.

A surprise is a surprise :E

I can bet ten times over that it's some counterstrike stuff.

Back