What just pisses me the @#$% off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, what would it hurt for them to let just one person/ Half Life related website be directly told of these updates ? I am wrong to assume that Valve knew they'd be done this time around in August, like 2 - 3 weeks ago ?
What does it hurt for them to tell us this immediately ? Just the moderators job alone of regulating thread after thread of personal attacks based solely on the freaking release date would be lessened, therefore advantageous

Are you serious o_O? Go take a management class...you're giving me a major headache.

You say it does matter, but it does entirely. Valve simply doesn't owe you anything. They will not give a personal response to every e-mail they recieve. They're more likely to announce such information on a larger form of media.

I will forgive your rant, however, because you like Aphex Twin. And Richard D James is the man.

devvingiorgio said:
Again, what would it hurt for them to let just one person/ Half Life related website be directly told of these updates ?

because if they emailed every HL fan about this.. then they'd be too busy doing that and not completing the game.. do u want a stupid email telling u about the game or do u want the damn game released? which is it?!

if Valve emails one fan about an estimation/release date, then that fan goes to a forum such as this one and posts the email.

u know what happens next? forum members flood Valve with emails wanting confirmation on this "email" that a fan got.. so now, Valve is busy answering emails again instead of working toward completing the game..

i hope u see my point.. it is pointless emailing fans about the game.. its best handled with the media as word would spread better and less email flooding for Valve (yes.. morons will still email Valve for confirmation on news despite the news site reporting is reputable)

if u still wanna be angry about this.. go ahead, break a leg for all i care!
won't make the game be released any sooner i tell ya.

so is Autechre and BOC, but yes, Richard James, well, I'd have sex with him, and I'm so NOT gay ...he's that good

Interesting thought ...

I wonder how it would be if they would do it big brother-style: webcams around the office, and have a website show them off (they could even do it through steam?).

/me goes back to reality

I don't think it will happen, but I think someone, someday, will try this, and then we'll all see if it works or not.

Peace out & chill :)

Pobz said:
To be honest I was annoyed with Valve after Sept 30th last year, because they lied to us. They knew half-life 2 was definately not up to a release stage yet they continued to tell people they were hopeful for a sept 30th release.

Telling people nothing is much more honest and respectable than telling people lies.

That said, I respect Valve more now for keeping quiet about a release date, because if they gave a date, anything could happen to cause a delay, and they would be branded liars again.

You do not deserve a release date. You should not ask for a release date, and you will not be given a release date.

So please stfu and wait patiently, like the rest of us.

I totally agree. If I was Valve, I'd do this too. Why would I risk pissing off more people? I'll lose sales. I know for a fact this game will blow their minds away, so I'm not losing any more customers.

SubKamran said:
I totally agree. If I was Valve, I'd do this too. Why would I risk pissing off more people? I'll lose sales. I know for a fact this game will blow their minds away, so I'm not losing any more customers.

i highly doubt the kind of people who would be following the release dates and keep up to date on hl2 info are just going to call it quits and not buy it because valve misses another release date.

would they be pissed? ..... oh yeah

pissed enough to refuse to buy it? cmon, think about it, it's freakin hl2!

This is such a very uninteresting thread.

NeLi said:
This is such a very uninteresting thread.

i agree

although all the random bitching and arguing is at least somewhat more amusing than another "will you play hl2 when you get home from the store with it" kind of thread.

This is just my little theory on why VALVe wouldn't tell a fan the newly developed release schedule when a news magazine already has it. Maybe the magazine kindly asked VALVe for the rights of being the first to release the information, and VALVe agreed.

Now, if more than one magazine had the information, I don't know. If so, then I'd have to switch my theory to the anti-email theory about people having to confirm one persons email. Just my two cents.

PvtRyan said:
Blahblahblahblah.... yadadadadada

I'm sorry, did you say something?

*in before lock*

lol

*in before lock*

you guys crack me up

im a fan of the series too,but why people think this will be the best selling game of all time?,i mean the mainstream buying public(adults)dont even know the hl name.

wayne white said:
im a fan of the series too,but why people think this will be the best selling game of all time?,i mean the mainstream buying public(adults)dont even know the hl name.
I could say the same to other games...

We aren't saying it will be the best possible selling product, just better than all the others.

Allmost anyone that has played a first person shooter for the PC has heard of HL.

HL has been arround for a very very long time and is an established game.

HL has now been on two platforms. The PC AND the PS (One or two, I cant remember..)

CS has made HL a neccessery purchase for millions all over the world

DOD, TFC, NS, Sven Coop.. etc. All these are great free games that act as advertising for the HL name.

HL gained the most game of the year awards and best game ever awards of any other game...

And of course... HL has sold the most copies of any other game... EVER. Period.

Those are the main reasons I can think of why HL2 is likely to be the best game ever and the best selling game ever. :)

"i hope u see my point.. it is pointless emailing fans about the game.. its best handled with the media as word would spread better and less email flooding for Valve (yes.. morons will still email Valve for confirmation on news despite the news site reporting is reputable)"

if we agree on that point, then surely you would agree with the only other thread I've ever started :)

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21220

marksmanHL2 :) said:
Allmost anyone that has played a first person shooter for the PC has heard of HL.

HL has been arround for a very very long time and is an established game.

HL has now been on two platforms. The PC AND the PS (One or two, I cant remember..)

CS has made HL a neccessery purchase for millions all over the world

DOD, TFC, NS, Sven Coop.. etc. All these are great free games that act as advertising for the HL name.

HL gained the most game of the year awards and best game ever awards of any other game...

Those are the main reasons I can think of why HL2 is likely to be the best game ever and the best selling game ever. :)

took the words right out of my mouth

Sims

14 million and counting.

Totally offtopic, but didn't the Sims sell more copies than HL?

Whatever lol

Yeh, this thread is done :x :D

in closing - my opinion

Companies should tell their customers what they know, as soon as they know it, IF IT CONCERNS THE CUSTOMER

don't tell us you can't elaborate on anythign better than sometime Summer when you just told someone else August

end

I just find it interesting how reverential a lot of you guys are towards authority. I'm assuming the majority of you are teenagers, so what happened to teenage rebellion? You're so quick to defend the people who hold power over your hobby, or life as it were. Are you this dutiful to other authority figures? Teachers, parents, cops, etc? Is this the education that you're receiving in school? Bow to those above you? It's weird. The natural inclination for teenagers is to look up and say Screw You. At least it was in my day. Which really wasn't that long ago...

Gossoon said:
I just find it interesting how reverential a lot of you guys are towards authority. I'm assuming the majority of you are teenagers, so what happened to teenage rebellion? You're so quick to defend the people who hold power over your hobby, or life as it were. Are you this dutiful to other authority figures? Teachers, parents, cops, etc? Is this the education that you're receiving in school? Bow to those above you? It's weird. The natural inclination for teenagers is to look up and say Screw You. At least it was in my day. Which really wasn't that long ago...

I hate authority for the most part. But I am smart enough to know a good thing when I see it. :)

But you also must keep the stance that the game developer is working for you, since you are the one paying him. Always keep your opinions loud to keep them honest.

Gossoon

Holy crap nice post :naughty:

That's what boggles my mind. I don't want these threads confused as 'oh geez, another teenager who has nothing better to bitch about'

My entire issue relies w/ trust. If Id Software decides to NEVER GIVE DATES except for WHEN IT'S DONE, that's their right. I've taken this into consideration, and I'm not upset with them.

Valve is a completely different scenario. They didn't go to MSN Money to put up an article asking us to help them with the code theft ...tehy came to the threads.
So, it's my opinion that if I want to know the status of the game, I should be given that information ..we shouldn't have to wait until it comes from an external source

Hmmmm, well we all know the sims is a freak case in every respect :p

God I hate that game......

agreed.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. That game is just an excuse for people to not have to play with their little sisters dolls anymore.

devvingiorgio said:
Yeh, this thread is done :x :D

...and we're back where we started.

Oh well. I'm sure that valve would now love to release more info, because their latest info release generated a 4-page rant.

Gossoon said:

I'd like to think I'm above that. I don't like authority, but then who does? Yeah, I'm kind of annoyed that Valve doesn't give more info, but I realize that I'm not in a position to make any demands, and so trying to argue otherwise would merely make me look like a dumbass.

Frankly, the "screw-the-man" punk mentality is annoying beyond all Hell.

It's 2 pages for me. I hate having to turn pages every 5 posts, so I just have it on forum max.

Gossoon said:

I don't think it has anything to do with any type of respect/disrespect of authority. It's just the nature of the internet. As long as there's an opinion there will be people to bitch for it and against it. Hell, they don't even have to believe in what their saying. Some people just like to argue, and on the internet they can do so, for the most part, without consequences.

there's nothing wrong with debating, this generation doesn't do it enough. we accept everything

"but I realize that I'm not in a position to make any demands,"

you know what, I'm starting to look at this in an even more extreme view now.
Technically, you , we, we ARE in a position to make demands, IF THEY'RE REALISTIC.

Valve's in business because of the consumer, obviously.
A dissatisfied/BELATEDLY uninformed customer is an unhappy customer.

If a customer requests the most recent information from a company on a product you've invested in, he expects to be satisfied.

Valve has not been honest with us...many a times. This time is no different.

and my only question is ----- WHY ! Literally why.....what do they lose that they already haven't by not keeping us informed as much as possible , AND FREQUENTLY ?

Shit, this thread has grown large while i was away.

devvingiorgio said:
there's nothing wrong with debating, this generation doesn't do it enough. we accept everything

"but I realize that I'm not in a position to make any demands,"

you know what, I'm starting to look at this in an even more extreme view now.
Technically, you , we, we ARE in a position to make demands, IF THEY'RE REALISTIC.

Valve's in business because of the consumer, obviously.
A dissatisfied/BELATEDLY uninformed customer is an unhappy customer.

If a customer requests the most recent information from a company on a product you've invested in, he expects to be satisfied.

Wrong. We're still not in a position to make any demands. It's their product and they can do what they want with it. They can make atrocious design and business decisions that royally piss off the fans, but we still can't do anything about it. You can either:

A) Stick it out and wait for the goods.

B) Say "Screw you and your crappy practices" and show that you don't support them by not buying their product.

Now, do they want to screw us over? I don't think so. I highly doubt they're doing this just for the fuck of it. We may not be able to demand anything, but bad business is bad business, and that is something no company wants. If they're keeping us out of the loop on something, it's probably with good reason.

Gossoon said:

Seems you didn’t grow up that much. Teenager rebellion for the sake of it, frankly, sounds stupid. If people were happy with authority, why wouldn’t they defend it? Some people here are loyal Valve fans. I really can’t understand your logic, can’t comprehend it actually.

B) Say "Screw you and your crappy practices" and show that you don't support them by not buying their product.

right. It's a different story though when it comes something like this. I bad company who doesn't keep you up to date on backordered products, or a company who sells crappy products is going ot go out of business, lickety splick.

"If they're keeping us out of the loop on something, it's probably with good reason."

And this is why I started the thread...I simply don't understand why they wouldn't have told one fricken customer who's asked that they're now looking at a definite August completion.... WHY WOULD WE HAVE TO WAIT FOR THAT INFORMATION

I'm going to email this thread to Newell and Lombardi, see if they respond

devvingiorgio said:
right. It's a different story though when it comes something like this. I bad company who doesn't keep you up to date on backordered products, or a company who sells crappy products is going ot go out of business, lickety splick.

I don't see the difference, really. Either you support them or you don't. If you think Valve are being jerks, then you can just walk away from them and not give them your hard-earned cash. It's that simple.

"If they're keeping us out of the loop on something, it's probably with good reason."

And this is why I started the thread...I simply don't understand why they wouldn't have told one fricken customer who's asked that they're now looking at a definite August completion.... WHY WOULD WE HAVE TO WAIT FOR THAT INFORMATION

Well, the answer's right there. It's probably for a good reason, because, as I've said, it's highly unlikely that Valve just wants to torture the community that helped put them on the map. Furthermore, you'll probably never know the reason, so I think this is all just kinda pointless. :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back