What kind of car do you drive?

Yeah, one thing that struck me about your bike is it's striking resembelence to the R6 05/06 series! I rode on a mates R1 for a month and i found the power to weight ratio so ditzy it wasn't funny, cornering is so perverted that if you don't get your lines right you end up flying into waiting traffic! :p
I rode a Bandit 650 for a while (insurance bike), I found it really hard work. Almost impossible to ride properly over 80mph, and could be hard work even at 60 on windier days - it just doesn't want to stay in a straight line, and the windroar is ferocious.

lol windage and windroar can be a bitch on light bikes. The VTR weighs around 156 empty, and travelling 76k south to mandurah makes you deal with a crosswind seabreeze coming inland from the coast. ****ing impossible sometimes and really concerning when you get a fair gust that wants to push you into oncoming traffic.I heard that Bandit's are an excellent learner platform to learn on, much like Honda Motards but much nimbler to move on.

Perfect city commuter bike though, it did that job perfectly.
I wish it were possible to have the aerodynamics of a sportsbike without the uncomfortable riding position, they really are a dream for high-speed cruising.

Try a 2006/07 Honda Goldwing1800! :D There's a few good ones out there, but i heard the new Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14 is an incorporation of comfortability and speed and manouvrebility of a sports bike. Also the 1980's 1100 Suzuki Katana is a blast, handles like a Kawa ZX10 but actually uses the top heavy weight of the bike to push you into the seat :p

I don't like anything about them - the bikes are horrendous and the subculture is pathetic. It's hilarious, you get these Harley meets and they load the Harley into the pickup truck, drive to the meet, unload the Harley and stand around talking about it. I mean, what the hell is that all about?
Harley survive by selling a prepackaged "lifestyle" for unthinking automatons, whereas other manufacturers focus on making good bikes.
I wouldn't spend 500 quid on one of those pieces of shit, I don't understand why someone would pay the asking price for them.

Plus, Harley riders, almost without exception, consider themselves to be "above" other bikers - they never acknowledge anyone except other Harley riders. And they all wear the same uniform - tatty jeans, ridiculous casual leather jacket that provides next to no actual crash protection, piss pot for a helmet and oversized shades.
About the only plus side in all this is that they tend to have a much higher life expectancy than sportsbike riders.

****in' A. Bunch of ponses

Yeah, one thing that struck me about your bike is it's striking resembelence to the R6 05/06 series!

Yep, they're R6 derived. Well...the FZS models have the Thundercat engine in, but the new FZ6 Fazer has a detuned R6 engine.
I can't stand the FZ6 though, horribly snatchy fuel injection problems and it doesn't have nearly as much torque as the old bike. And it feels like there's some kind of slight lag between rolling on the throttle and the power coming in. Feels more like a tourer - the FZS delivers this instant oomph that the FZ6 doesn't.

I rode on a mates R1 for a month and i found the power to weight ratio so ditzy it wasn't funny, cornering is so perverted that if you don't get your lines right you end up flying into waiting traffic! :p

Nasty. I've only ridden one litre bike so far - my friend's Suzuki TL1000R. They call it the widowmaker, but I only pootled about on it so I can't really comment. It's renowned for being a nasty, brutal, dangerous bike though - a bit like the ZX10R is.
I enjoy taking my friend's R6 out for a spin, it feels like it has limitless power and turns in ridiculously quickly. When I first rode it I kept oversteering. Wouldn't buy one though, far too uncomfortable. If I was going to get a sportsbike, I'd probably get a ZX636 - they're a lot less cramped.
I crashed my Fazer in October, still recovering from that unfortunately. But I should be fit to ride again in a month or two, I was looking at getting a Fazer Thou for better long-distance ability but at my age the insurance is ridiculous. So I'm just going to get the 600 fixed, big job but cheaper than buying another one. It will have to have a different registration number at the end of the process. :frown:

lol windage and windroar can be a bitch on light bikes. The VTR weighs around 156 empty, and travelling 76k south to mandurah makes you deal with a crosswind seabreeze coming inland from the coast. ****ing impossible sometimes and really concerning when you get a fair gust that wants to push you into oncoming traffic.I heard that Bandit's are an excellent learner platform to learn on, much like Honda Motards but much nimbler to move on.

They are an excellent choice for a first bike, no doubt. The power delivery is entirely linear, it's confidence inspiring, just does everything well really - with one exception. The rear slides around all over the place in the wet, apparently because of cheap rear suspension. I gave up even using the rear brake in the wet because even the slightest touch would have the rear snaking around.
However, they're really damn boring bikes. Nicknamed the Blandit for a reason. :)
The SV650, now that's a kickass bike. Handles like a dream, again linear power delivery, it's a V-Twin, slightly sporty riding position...it's only got 70-something bhp and a top speed of 122mph, but it doesn't matter. It's just a fun, enjoyable riding experience.

Try a 2006/07 Honda Goldwing1800! :D There's not much out there, but i heard the new Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14 is an incorporation of comfortability and speed and manouvrebility of a sports bike.

Goldwing = 2 wheeled truck. :D

Mm, I want to own a B-King at some point. That is one majorly awesome machine, donchathink?

I think I posted pictures of my car earlier, but I took this shot of it when it snowed like 2 weeks ago (for the first time in about 10 years) and I liked it so much, I thought I'd put it here too:

2240154415_eae82d55b0_o.jpg

The point of a chopper is to be loud, gaudy and old.
Agreed. Choppers are not about performance. It's all about the "Mad Max-ish" tacky style and respect for those that can actually maintain such an antiquated design. Many bikers couldn't be arsed to actually work on bikes themselves as many bikers are not mechanics themselves. They'd rather take them to a mechanic that screws them up the ass on labor costs. :D

Nasty. I've only ridden one litre bike so far - my friend's Suzuki TL1000R. They call it the widowmaker, but I only pootled about on it so I can't really comment. It's renowned for being a nasty, brutal, dangerous bike though - a bit like the ZX10R is.

Yeah i've heard of the widowmaker, very powerful bike. Lotta blokes i meet talk about getting one but you know, all talk no action. How'd she handle on your pootle? :p

The ZX10R is a king bike but it is an incredibly difficult bike to master. Like most Ninja's they have all the power and torque on the back end but most people come unstuck because they only use the stock fork oil in the front forks, like 30poujnd when it should be 40, and they just end up riding themselves into the ground in a low side. It's only a slight difference in pressure but it really makes it smoother to corner and takes the edge off braking the front end. For me it was also a psycological issue, once i knew i had changed the fork pressure i felt more relaxed and more at ease with the bike. My changes were a lot less stressed too.

I crashed my Fazer in October, still recovering from that unfortunately. But I should be fit to ride again in a month or two, I was looking at getting a Fazer Thou for better long-distance ability but at my age the insurance is ridiculous. So I'm just going to get the 600 fixed, big job but cheaper than buying another one. It will have to have a different registration number at the end of the process.

Shit that sucks, saw your thread about that man. ouch. not a good feeling, especially when your insurance premiums shoot higher :( But as they say, get back on and keep her upright ay? :p That your first?

The rear slides around all over the place in the wet, apparently because of cheap rear suspension. I gave up even using the rear brake in the wet because even the slightest touch would have the rear snaking around.

Shit! You got balls! I usually change between 70-30% rear-front braking in dry and and 30-70% rear-front in wet, but talk about a drastic measure lol! Bloke i used to know in school rode a Honda 600CBR to school on day (unlicenced of course) and then on his return journey home, i saw him kick up the back end because he misplaced his wieght and he took a handfull of throttle deliberatly to show off. Guy was in the first stages of a tank slapper before he jumped on the brakes. Bit of a prick and an idiot to boot. I've had a couple of tank slappers myself and i've only been able to ride out of one of the two. ****ing scary shit. He apparently cracked the lower bar of the swingarm too, but to me it didn't look like there was enough force involved to do it.
But yeah, it happens quick when you lose the back end, then the front end :(

Mm, I want to own a B-King at some point. That is one majorly awesome machine, donchathink?
HAHA! **** yeah she looks like a squat little dwarf! I like the little ducktail they got, reminiscient of a Ducati 700 i saw on the road the other day. But yeah, looks so damn comfortable and so futuristic...sussing it now (Soozie B-King) and it looks like you would be able to go for the milk shop on that one! Low centre of grav, high pegs and comfy tank, two front pads for added braking control :D ****in win! :D The lower swingarm is a bit concerning in this picture, it looks flimsy and it's an odd truss to support the back end. maybe the suspension coil compensates? Do you like repiv?

(edit: oh shit, just saw the price :|

/heart stop)

Yeah i've heard of the widowmaker, very powerful bike. Lotta blokes i meet talk about getting one but you know, all talk no action. How'd she handle on your pootle? :p

It handles like a barge. Very heavy bike, I mean, look at the freakin' size of it!

tl100r2.jpg

Despite it being a superbike, it's a lot less agile than my Fazer. You really have to manhandle it into a corner. People get them because they have "character" apparently, as I understand it they're very flighty and very unforgiving. I prefer light, agile bikes.
The amusing thing is my friend is like 5 foot 5, if that. He looks hilarious perched on top of that behemoth.

The ZX10R is a king bike but it is an incredibly difficult bike to master. Like most Ninja's they have all the power and torque on the back end but most people come unstuck because they only use the stock fork oil in the front forks, like 30poujnd when it should be 40, and they just end up riding themselves into the ground in a low side. It's only a slight difference in pressure but it really makes it smoother to corner and takes the edge off braking the front end. For me it was also a psycological issue, once i knew i had changed the fork pressure i felt more relaxed and more at ease with the bike. My changes were a lot less stressed too.

They look like total hooligan machines, you watch people riding them and they're coming out of a corner with the rear sliding and the front wheel in the air.
Apparently the new ZX10 is the same size and weight as an R6 - now that's a scary thought.
I quite like how on my bike, providing the road is dry and so on, I can snap the throttle all the way back and it won't bite me. Feel totally at home on it.

Shit that sucks, saw your thread about that man. ouch. not a good feeling, especially when your insurance premiums shoot higher :( But as they say, get back on and keep her upright ay? :p That your first?

Ay, the worst thing is having no life. It's my only way of getting around and my social life largely revolved around the bike anyway, so I've been very isolated.
Initially it wasn't too bad, it was quite nice to have a break actually. I could really enjoy just laying there and watching daytime TV all day, or reading or whatever but after a while it gets tiresome. What I will say is, you really don't want to shatter your tibia if you can avoid it. I've never felt worse pain in all my life, and it hurts like **** for a good couple of months afterwards because of the inflammation and such.
It was my second bike, I had a '99 FZS600 before that. :)
But it was an unreliable piece of shit, it was falling apart and in a dangerous condition which the shady bastard covered up under a lick of paint. Fork seals leaking oil all over my front brakes, downpipes had rusted away, wiring loom dodgy and the bike would occassionally lose all power without warning.
Someone knocked it over when it was parked and was kind enough to leave his details, the insurance guy said it was a write-off (bullshit, but I wasn't about to argue) and I used the money to buy the newer one.

Looks nicer than it was:

myfazer.jpg

Shit! You got balls! I usually change between 70-30% rear-front braking in dry and and 30-70% rear-front in wet, but talk about a drastic measure lol!

Well it kept both tyres gripping the tarmac, so hey. For some reason they teach you to use more rear brake in the wet, but I've always found that to be completely the wrong approach. I've had more rear wheel slides than I can count - and not just in the wet, but I've never, ever lost the front.

Bloke i used to know in school rode a Honda 600CBR to school on day (unlicenced of course) and then on his return journey home, i saw him kick up the back end because he misplaced his wieght and he took a handfull of throttle deliberatly to show off. Guy was in the first stages of a tank slapper before he jumped on the brakes. Bit of a prick and an idiot to boot. I've had a couple of tank slappers myself and i've only been able to ride out of one of the two. ****ing scary shit. He apparently cracked the lower bar of the swingarm too, but to me it didn't look like there was enough force involved to do it.

lol idiot. Reminds me of this hilarious video: Clicky

They used to let people ride 250cc bikes here with no form of training whatsoever, it's a scary thought. A lot more people died on bikes back then.
Nowadays you have to pass a fairly rigorous one-day course to ride 125s on L-plates, and a test that's a lot more difficult than the car test to get your full license.

But yeah, it happens quick when you lose the back end, then the front end :(

The other accident I had was really strange. I pulled out onto the main road, and accelerated briskly but not hard, as there was a car coming behind. The road was wet, but it's never been a problem for that kind of acceleration before - probably happened because the tyres were cold in this case.
Anyway, the rear started to slide from side to side - which manifested itself as the handlebars turning themselves, and it just kept getting more and more violent until I was being pitched to almost knee-down levels of lean on either side. Eventually it threw the bike over so far that the footpeg slammed into the ground and highsided me. Luckily I got thrown into open road and slid harmlessly to a stop without injury, but the poor bike slammed into the kerb and cartwheeled. Write-off for sure. For a while I thought that was a tankslapper.
Fortunately that was an insurance bike, so I didn't have to pay for it. :D

HAHA! **** yeah she looks like a squat little dwarf! I like the little ducktail they got, reminiscient of a Ducati 700 i saw on the road the other day. But yeah, looks so damn comfortable and so futuristic...sussing it now (Soozie B-King) and it looks like you would be able to go for the milk shop on that one! Low centre of grav, high pegs and comfy tank, two front pads for added braking control :D ****in win! :D The lower swingarm is a bit concerning in this picture, it looks flimsy and it's an odd truss to support the back end. maybe the suspension coil compensates? Do you like repiv?

(edit: oh shit, just saw the price :|

/heart stop)

Hey, it's a 181bhp naked streetbike that can do 220mph. It's just pointlessly and ridiculously over the top, but that's all part of the charm. :D

You have a lowered survival chance if you smash up on a motor bike.

This is my car as it is now, and will be for a few more weeks.

It has not driven since August, minus one day in September.

PICT0004.jpg

I won't bother you with details.

how the **** did you drive it without a gearbox??? It almost looks like an automatic transmission lol

Tis a bitch when ya motor's on blocks though.

Lol @ "gearbox".

This is an AWD Subaru transmission. That thing on the floor is a 2002 WRX 5 speed, the thing in the car is the stock 4 speed auto. Great for high speed cruising but prone to failure due to heat, hence the need for the swap. The new trans is 70 lbs lighter, shorter ratios, slightly shorter final, and well, a manual. I mostly do city driving so it has advantages all around.

Lol @ "gearbox".

This is an AWD Subaru transmission. That thing on the floor is a 2002 WRX 5 speed, the thing in the car is the stock 4 speed auto. Great for high speed cruising but prone to failure due to heat, hence the need for the swap. The new trans is 70 lbs lighter, shorter ratios, slightly shorter final, and well, a manual. I mostly do city driving so it has advantages all around.

city driving on a manual can be quite annoying. Depends on how much traffic there is.

But either way, i don't think i'll ever go back to driving an automatic. You have so much less control and not to mention is so boring to drive

The auto has extremely high gearing. Given enough power it can reach 194mph. It's fantastic for highway use and cruises at low rpms and gets upwards of 28mpg on long trips.
Conversely in Anchorages stop and go traffic, I get 17mpg in summer and 14 in winter. The gearing is too damn high.
The WRX trans should get me closer to 20mpg city with a slight drop to around 25-26 highway, but with a 15-20% increase in wheel torque. ;)

The auto has extremely high gearing. Given enough power it can reach 194mph.

That's low gearing, and just a fun fact of the day, if you want to double your speed in a car it requires 8x the horsepower. So if it takes 100hp for you to travel at 100mph, then it's gonna take 800hp to go 200mph.

It's "tall" gearing if you want to get specific.
The SVX is exceptionally slick. It has been clocked at over 170 in stock form (only on 2 occasions though, but the first time was an official event endorsed by law enforcement). The math has been done by SVXperts, and to reach 200 would require only 600 crank horse power (not unlike a Z06, or Murcielago).
Aerodynamics is simply too big a factor to ignore.

I meant to say tall...I'm not sure why I typed 'low', although I was about to leave for class so I guess I was being stupid. Maybe because I was thinking about when you said "high" gearing, I was just thinking 'low' for fun.

and there's a lot of factors into going 200mph, what I said was just a generality, obviously there's going to be differences between an Element and an elise. Sort of like the rule about how drag increases as your double your speed. It would be different if you're at sea level or driving through the mountains in Colorado, and probably if it's 100* or 24* outside.

Top speed never excited me though, it always feels the same. The fastest I've driven either of my cars is 127mph, my audi is electronically limited there, and my GTi redlines 5th at around 115-120mph. I've been around 160-170mph in my friend's s2k with a 2jz-gte swap, and yea I guess it's cool..but I'd much rather be on some back roads.

All my supra friends just want to go drive on a the highway...which is SUPER cool, they act like if they have to take a gentle curve in their cars they'll fly off the road and die...which is an absolute lie. They just don't want to lose to my 120 horses of fury.

I have to agree, if top speed was my bag I'd keep/fix the auto and soup the motor up, and keep the suspension stock.
Autocross and rally is just way more fun. Fastest I've taken my car was 142 indicated, but I didn't even realize it at the time. Kinda scary.

fastest i've taken my car is 180km/h...im too much of a wuss to go any higher on a public highway in canada. Reason: If a cop catches you going 50km/h over the speed limit, you get your car taken away and a 10,000 dollar fine, and there is NO way to fight it.

It was on the news about how crazy it was..lawyers were saying they were doing everything in the book to try and combat and get the fine down, but they said they couldn't do anything lol.

So, yea, only way ill go top speed on my golf(260 km/h) is if it's on a lonely 2 way road out in the middle of nowhere.

Lol! 10k is ridiculously awesome.

Keeps people from doing crazy stuffs.

What's the average speed limit in highways in Canada?

Lol! 10k is ridiculously awesome.

Keeps people from doing crazy stuffs.

What's the average speed limit in highways in Canada?

speed limit is a wopping 100km/h...NO ONE does 100 lol i drive by cops going 130 and they dont do anything.

I dunno, a lot of cops are pretty easy going on speeding (on the highway that i go on at least) but i always hear of horror stories of the 10K rule getting laid out to ppl.

I don't drive but wanna a Dodge truck for carrying a biggest screen for my family.

Fastest I've taken my car is 115 mph on a side road all by myself with nobody in sight. Unfortunately, my car seems to lean out too much at high RPMs and just kept "spatting" at me, jerking really hard, preventing me from accelerating any more. Pretty good for a road that is jut about 1/4 - > 1/3 of a mile long :p

Back