what shitty luck!!

chriso20

Reaction score
I came in today, turned pc on, steam asks for my password. So i type it (it normally logs in auto) and it says wrong password and i try over and over with past passwords and stuff... nothing.

So i try "lost account" and the only one that works is "known email address" and i get an email telling me "chriso20" is the only account i have, where my current and newest account is "[email protected]".

So i trek thru info for a bit and it looks like my account has been stolen, i email valve, and ask a question on the steam webby, but it doesnt come up in my questions area so im guessing with my luck that i havent sent it right.

and HL2 is less than a week away!!!! OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What shitty luck, i've preloaded and preordered hl2, and my HL1 key is associated with that account :'(

I just hope Steam ppl sort me out super quick :( that's if they got the message... *sob*

okay thank you for telling me, doubt ill be able to sleep tonight now :imu: :frown:

wow that sucks.. :x
well u said u have sent an email.. just be patient and allow them time to sort through it.. hopefully things work out.
good luck man.

I just had my MSN password guessed. Creepy coincidence...

Valve won't help you, though. The rule is that your account = your responsibility.

this is one of the few reasons i went for the box at eb close to my mall, i didnt want anything to happen with my credit card info or something like this. I am sorry, e-mail them again and again to make sure they got your letter, i am very sorry :(

I would be extremely aggrevated if that happened to me, I hope it all works out for you before release!

Sorry to hear that, what a f***ing pain with HL2 so close. Hopefully theyll clear things up before the release.

Just out of interest you havent clicked any dubious links or anything lately have you? And I'm assuming you havent gone anywhere near that prog from snova, because if you had then thats your problem right there.

i havent been to anyones house or logged into steam other than at my house, havent had any virus/trojans.

Haven't clicked any dodgy links, told anyone my pw etc...

Basically it looks like either my pc got hacked (i have 2 firewalls so thats a minimal chance) or sum1 guessed it, which at 11 letters long and isnt in ANY dictionary of any language, i doubt :(

DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm hoping, (as i get this impression) that it'l be sorted as others have had similar things happen, i still have my CD key/CD/Case and have sent the picture to them, so i HOPE i've done all i can

(it now shows up on their steam thingy)

EDIT: and no, no unlocker lol :)

These losers cant even afford a account of their own so they have to steal it, too bad whoever got it cant keep it.

man, that is awefull. valve needs to change the system somewhat. I mean, you purchased the game through their system - You bought the game on their platform sacrificing a hl2 installable on any account hard copy under the impression that hl2 would ALWAYS be available to YOU as an in store purchase would be. They should never be able to just screw you out of your money and your game because your account got hacked. A hard copy can be stolen, but one of the selling points of the steam purchase is that it would always be available to be redownloaded if you bought it. They know YOU bought it via their records. There should be no possible circumstance where they just say "oh well, too bad for you, guess you're Shit out of luck. wanna buy it again with a new account?" there must be some way to verify to them that you are indeed the person who bought the game via checking their and your records so if you can't get that account back at all they should set you up with a new one with your games associated with it.

Tork> Nothing at all, i changed my pw (to something harder) about 2 months ago.

Rocketman9mm> thanks for th reassurance :( but i cant help fear the worst :'(

I'l keep you up to date with what happens.

Doesnt valve reset the account if you send in your billing information ?

Tork said:
Doesnt valve reset the account if you send in your billing information ?

I bought it within the week it was available, bin playing css fine, so im guessing they havent, and if they did, how would everyone else get their accounts back?

chriso20,

Always buy games through retail, :d

BIG FULL STOP

When my account buggered ( accidently delted steam folder )
Valve were nice to me and fixed my account within like 5 days i just sent them an email saying what id done how it didnt accept my account name and i sendt them my cdkey iu used to sigh up they made me a new account with a new login n pass

How ever that was while ago

If u have the recipet for you hl1 cd key and have the box cd and manual Take a few pics of that and send em along with the email like my mate did and they fixed his account for him

Just send them a nice email instead of a whiney one :D

Gorgon said:
chriso20,

Always buy games through retail, :d

BIG FULL STOP

If this happened after i'd bought retail, ran it on my account then i STILL wouldnt be able to play.

I dont blame the fact i bought hl2 via steam, just some arsing hacker who got my details.

joims are you talking about the ancient cd key for the origional half-life or what?

I already have sent valve a pic of my cd/cd case/cd key for HL1.

chriso20 said:
If this happened after i'd bought retail, ran it on my account then i STILL wouldnt be able to play.

I dont blame the fact i bought hl2 via steam, just some arsing hacker who got my details.

the retail purchase isn't attached to one particular account for all time. couldn't you just reinstall it and create a new account for it?

chriso20 said:
i havent been to anyones house or logged into steam other than at my house, havent had any virus/trojans.

Haven't clicked any dodgy links, told anyone my pw etc...

Basically it looks like either my pc got hacked (i have 2 firewalls so thats a minimal chance) or sum1 guessed it, which at 11 letters long and isnt in ANY dictionary of any language, i doubt :(

DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm hoping, (as i get this impression) that it'l be sorted as others have had similar things happen, i still have my CD key/CD/Case and have sent the picture to them, so i HOPE i've done all i can

(it now shows up on their steam thingy)

EDIT: and no, no unlocker lol :)

thats a good thing u did.
i read on the Steam forums pple doing this when their accounts were hacked/stolen and Valve did help them out.

Rocketman9mm said:
the retail purchase isn't attached to one particular account for all time. couldn't you just reinstall it and create a new account for it?

Your CD key is associated to your account, just like steam versions of hl2.

So no you coundn't "reinstall it and create a new account for it".

well then that is one part about steam i totally disagree with. forcing one account for all time no matter what circumstances unless you have to require permission from valve to install your own damn game is holding every steam user by the balls. "oh please valve, please, let me change my account!" /puppy-dog eyes.

It's that or play with cheaters and warez users, up to u :p

ANYWAYS BACK TO MY PROBLEM! ;(

That sucks man... do you recall anything that might have jeporadized you getting your account stolen before you couldn't log in?

also changed my pw again :)

Rocketman9mm said:
well then that is one part about steam i totally disagree with. forcing one account for all time no matter what circumstances unless you have to require permission from valve to install your own damn game is holding every steam user by the balls. "oh please valve, please, let me change my account!" /puppy-dog eyes.
Exactly. Something else most people won't realize, is that if you pick up a second hand copy of the game somewhere (say a year from now or whatever), then you will be unable to play as that key will be registered to someone else's account.

Many retailers sell second hand copies of games, and yes, I realize that most people have taken the CD key and will continue to use it online after they sell it. The problem here is that you have to authenticate HL2 before you can even play the single player game... essentially you buy this game second hand and you're SOL.

Funny thing is, Yesterday my friend messaged me on MSN saying I was playing CSS, which i hadnt been all day, and when i logged in it asked me for my password (ususally happens when ur already logged in, or ghosted) i changed my password right away, but it was certainly dodgy.

aeroripper said:
That sucks man... do you recall anything that might have jeporadized you getting your account stolen before you couldn't log in?

also changed my pw again :)

Not at all. That's the strangest part :( But lucky i suppose because then Valve cant turn around saying "blah blah your problem"

If steam ppl dont sort it in a day or two i might send my sob story to gabe, "Please dont stop me from playing HL2 :upstare:"

This is the one flaw Steam has IMO. They need to more closely tie an account with a really person and not some username/password combo. If someone stole my credit card or my debit card/pin number I could easily prove to the bank that the account was mine because they have all my personal info and can verify who I am. With steam they just take your money and say thank you and good luck with your account. I bought retail so I can have the CD key in my hand. If someone manages to get my account info and change the password/email then I will be able to prove to valve that it is my CD key and not someone elses.

InvaderScooge said:
This is the one flaw Steam has IMO. They need to more closely tie an account with a really person and not some username/password combo. If someone stole my credit card or my debit card/pin number I could easily prove to the bank that the account was mine because they have all my personal info and can verify who I am. With steam they just take your money and say thank you and good luck with your account. I bought retail so I can have the CD key in my hand. If someone manages to get my account info and change the password/email then I will be able to prove to valve that it is my CD key and not someone elses.

With steam purchase, they ALREADY have your credit card information (Name, address, etc). They have MORE proof it was you with a steam purchase then you do with your CD.

A few days ago I was thinking about what if this would happen with me, if this happened a month ago it would suck of course but closer to the release it sucks even harder because there is a chance things don't get sorted out before Release Day. But besides the password you also have to choose a question with a secret answer. Can't you use that too proove you are the real account owner? Because that's the purpose of it I hope (Valve doesn't need too know who my childhood hero was or what my mother's maiden name is I think :p). And if you chose a good secret answer it's VERY hard to guess. But you shouldn't chose Gordon Freeman as the answer of your question :p

hellfire_bullet said:
this is one of the few reasons i went for the box at eb close to my mall, i didnt want anything to happen with my credit card info or something like this. I am sorry, e-mail them again and again to make sure they got your letter, i am very sorry :(

Even if you have the box, once the game is activated it's tied to that account. Lose the account, lose HL2.

Ahnteis said:
With steam purchase, they ALREADY have your credit card information (Name, address, etc). They have MORE proof it was you with a steam purchase then you do with your CD.

Bolded for emphasis. The key here is THEY have the proof not me. I am not saying Valve is a dishonest company but they are a company. You can't expect them to protect your rights as a consumer. You have to do that.

Just print your order confirmation. Then you have the proof too.

Ouch, there must be something VALVe can do, try sending them your old username and password and see if they can check it out for you to see if it's been changed. Ask if they'll reset it.

It needs to be like other online vendors, where any changes to the account have to be verified through the original email address. So if say someone somehow logs on to your account, they can't change your password and lock you out because an approval email will be sent to you before any changes will be made. This will give you plenty of advanced notice that your account has been compromised so you can alert Valve and immediately change your password.

Back