What the hell. The administrator might not be the boss

DEATH eVADER

Space Core
Reaction score
I've just received the PCGAMER e-mail about their new issue coming out Oct5th. Review of halflife2 I understand, but who the hell is the Overwatch (Think mispelt, suppose to be Overwatcher)

We've toyed with the gravity gun, gone toe-to-toe with the Overwatch, and watched in awe as the Striders strut.

This is were speculuation WILL commence because I am so confused now. Will the Overwatcher be a more powerful Nihilanth? or perhaps a flashier name for the administrator? Any suggestion will be greeted.

Interesting, it is.

But how did you get an email from PCGamer and I didn't? :(

Dr breens forces? Aliens? Administrator? Gman? Zombies? bad rebels?

I think that Overwatch is the specific name for Combine ground troops.

Say for example that the Combine is the equivalent of the Nazi party, then Overwatch would be the equivalent of the SS/Gestapo.

User Name said:
Interesting, it is.

But how did you get an email from PCGamer and I didn't? :(

Do you get a newsletter from them? I think you have to go to the website

look in the voice cast for the game and you will see some woman(I can't remember her name) as The Overwatch...

I think it's a huge Antlion Queen..

T.H.C.138 said:
look in the voice cast for the game and you will see some woman(I can't remember her name) as The Overwatch...

If your correct about that, then it would be surreal to find out that the fan-fiction that I did about a year back actually happens in the game :O . If that happens, then I probably know what happens (Will Gordon work on her side and betray the Gman and the rest of humanity)

DEATH eVADER said:
I've just received the PCGAMER e-mail about their new issue coming out Oct5th. Review of halflife2 I understand, but who the hell is the Overwatch (Think mispelt, suppose to be Overwatcher)

This is were speculuation WILL commence because I am so confused now. Will the Overwatcher be a more powerful Nihilanth? or perhaps a flashier name for the administrator? Any suggestion will be greeted.

It's not misspelled, I've seen referrences to the "Overwatch" somewhere else.

I think that Dr. Been (the infamous "Administrator") made a deal with the Overwatch (the alien race in control of Xen, and it's indiginous life) back in Black Mesa and now works for them.

The Combine (in my opinion) are genetically engineered humaniods (possibly a combination of human and an alien species) that the Overwatch uses to police the human population while they (the aliens) suck Earth dry of it's resources.

Dr. Been is used as a spokesman or something to give Earth a human face to relate to, and to get humans to willingly submit to the aliens and obey the Combine. Basically he tries to brainwash people into believing the Overwatch's propoganda (sp).

That's my opinion anyway.

The Overwatch is a collective term for the Combine police and soldiers.

They are part of the Overwatch, Breen's administration.

I don't think that "Overwatch" is a particular person, race or creature.

Why the hell has rumors and speculation been removed?

This is general forum..why these threads here?

Everyobody should know how 'dangerous' this is, with pricks posting true spoilers as speculation

lans said:
The Overwatch is a collective term for the Combine police and soldiers.

They are part of the Overwatch, Breen's administration.

I don't think that "Overwatch" is a particular person, race or creature.

Is this your theory or did you read/hear this somewhere else?

It's plausable regardless. Interesting.

At first because of the fact that a woman is doing the voice,I thought it was just the womans voice on the loudspeaker in the train station...Now I am not so sure

BTW..I got my info from IMDB...

Subscription copies of PC Gamer arrive early, and reading the article it looks like the overwatch are the Combine

"The autocratic and vicious behaviour of the masked Overwatch soliders......"

And it got 96%

PC Gamer UK review says that the "Overwatch" are some sort of force. Combines, striders, e.t.c. are part of it.

I don't remember the exact quote - but that's what I recall.

Edit:

Here is the quote

"The autocratic and vicious behaviour of the masked Overwatch soliders..."

So it's a force, not a person.

what were those floating bastards in HL1 called? Overseer or something like that?
Oh yeah..
Hey Lans..Go to IMDB and look at the voice cast for HL2...

IMDB could be refering to the combine soldiers as "overwatch".

They all supposedly have the same voice, as they use the same radio comm. Watch the E3 2004 videos, the combine soldiers calling back up and asessing threats in the buggy/house video sound alike.

DEATH eVADER said:
Do you get a newsletter from them? I think you have to go to the website
Oh, ok. Thanks.
I thought it was just from subscribing to them that I would get an email, too.
I guess I'll be signing up to their website. :)

T.H.C.138 said:
what were those floating bastards in HL1 called? Overseer or something like that?
Oh yeah..
Hey Lans..Go to IMDB and look at the voice cast for HL2...

Controllers and Xen Masters, I think?

Than, the overwatch must be the woman Gordon steps of the elevator with, at Eli.

Ralfst3r said:
Than, the overwatch must be the woman Gordon steps of the elevator with, at Eli.

No..... That's Judith Mossman....

The overwatch is the women who talks on the load speaker of the BINK movie tenents

The Overwatch = The Evil AI that is almosteverywhere, it has many agents, like the Combine and other forces like that, it is the core of the AI the piece that binds all of it's forces together... Even the Gman is an overwatch agent... Well it's not everywhere because it is being fought by the rebels...

According to the review...

The Overwatch are the Combine Ground Forces. The Combine being the ground pounders. There also seem to be two types. Cops, the kind that are in the train station with the white masks, and the actual soldiers. These guys are the elite of the Overwatch, have slightly different suits, and will kick your ass.

As Combine Soldier said, the Overwatch voice in the voice credits is probably the "attention residents, miscount detected in your block..." voice that accompanies the police raid on the tenement building.

the actor credited is female and it's a female voice. perhaps she's the caring face of the combine oppressors ;)

fragShader said:
As Combine Soldier said, the Overwatch voice in the voice credits is probably the "attention residents, miscount detected in your block..." voice that accompanies the police raid on the tenement building.

the actor credited is female and it's a female voice. perhaps she's the caring face of the combine oppressors ;)

I thought that was supposed to be Breen.

Anyways, any specualtion we make now is probably way off. With the plot twists that will definately be in HL2, none of us can have any clue what is going to happen.
Hell, for all we know, the G-Man can slap on a purple suit, whip out a cane, and pimp off Alyx on the mean streets of City 17 while Gordon shakes down immigrant workers for debt payments. Probably won't happen, but who knows.

I reckon the Overwatch is some sort of monitoring system (hence the feminine voice in Tenements) under Breen's control, which enforces its decisions via the Metrocops and Soldiers, who sound like they're under its direct control, from the review.

next time don't write the spoiler in the topic title, I didn't even know there was an overwatcher :mad:

It's been official info for ages. And the title is inconclusive anyway.

Back