What the hell?

Reaction score
I just created this thread to voice my opinon on how stupid it is to start dreaming about Half-Life 3 when the second one hasn't even been out for a month!

Thank you.

What does it matter how long in months the game has been out? The point is that many people have already beaten the game (the game doesn't take a month to beat), and thirst for a resolution to the cliffhanger ending of the second installment of our beloved trilogy.

I wonder how long VALVe will acually be working on HL3?

Well, now that VALVe's got the source engine down, it will take much less time than it took hl2 to make. So, im guessing ... 3 years.

I actually started dreaming about half life 3 back when...oh, wait, I don't dream.

lordbotulor said:
You sound spiteful.

Sorry. I didn't mean to come across that way. I hope it take 6 years so that they can put energy into a good story, level design, more realistic damage, ect.
Stuff that could have been better.

lordbotulor said:
You sound spiteful.

It's all about how much work they put into it.
HL2 took as long as it did because of the engine. If people were more patient, just think about how incredible the game would be if they'd pushed it to Jan. 2005. I really think they ould have made those orgasm-inducing sound physics even better. And they would have fine-tuned the world physics too.
Plus, we'd probably have more refined AI.

And I dodn't think having Source in the bag will make HL3 take less time. Who wants a sequel based in the exact same engine? Just look at UTech 3.0. UNF! Imagine Source 3.0 (you guys do know that HL2 is basically Source 2.0, right? Seeing as they called HL's half-Quake engine 'Source' too.)

HL3 will see a rewrite of Source. Mark my words. And I speculate it will involve Gordon developing a slight sense of a little known thing called 'Free Will' also.

I just picked up the latest computer hardware Monday so I'll be able to have HL3 blazing when it comes out.

lol, you're probably right. VALVe have it down when it comes to producing eyeball melting visuals on two or even three year old hardware. My old pc back in jolly old England could probably run it as well as my newer rig does.

I don't see how it's ever stupid to fantasize about any upcoming game. So what? What damage does it do? I think about games like HL3 and Unreal 3 and what they'll be like all the time. Never to soon to start discussing them...

I know it's a little off topic, but Unreal 3 better have something to do with you know, Unreal. None of this stupid Liandri Unreal Tournament derived shazbot.

:Rex Saw: said:
I don't see how it's ever stupid to fantasize about any upcoming game. So what? What damage does it do? I think about games like HL3 and Unreal 3 and what they'll be like all the time. Never to soon to start discussing them...

Fanaticism is what comes of fantasising. If you want to see what effects it has, find any large AvP2* community.

*Aliens vs. Predator 2

Psychanalysis05% said:
It's all about how much work they put into it.
HL2 took as long as it did because of the engine. If people were more patient, just think about how incredible the game would be if they'd pushed it to Jan. 2005. I really think they ould have made those orgasm-inducing sound physics even better. And they would have fine-tuned the world physics too.
Plus, we'd probably have more refined AI.

And I dodn't think having Source in the bag will make HL3 take less time. Who wants a sequel based in the exact same engine? Just look at UTech 3.0. UNF! Imagine Source 3.0 (you guys do know that HL2 is basically Source 2.0, right? Seeing as they called HL's half-Quake engine 'Source' too.)

HL3 will see a rewrite of Source. Mark my words. And I speculate it will involve Gordon developing a slight sense of a little known thing called 'Free Will' also.

Valve has stated that they plan to use the source engine for HL3. They made source with it being easy to upgrade in mind so of cource HL3 will be much better technology wise, but it will still run on the very same engine as HL2 will run on at that time (Unless they make some engine features HL3 specific).

As I said, a 'rewrite' of Source. Just as the UT2k games were a 'rewrite' of previous iterations of UTech. Every Unreal game uses the exact same engine. Hard to believe, eh?

Back