What will you make?

making a helix in worldcraft sounds pretty painful to me...

heh by pit/concentric helix I mean the overall level design, there is an open central area (pit), and several outer hallways that loop around the outside of the area, that allow you to access different height levels of the pit, they look a little like a helix (spiral stair case) as they spiral around the level.

Thats sounds like quite a cool idea. You dont see many maps with interesting designs.

Originally posted by Cunbelin
heh by pit/concentric helix I mean the overall level design, there is an open central area (pit), and several outer hallways that loop around the outside of the area, that allow you to access different height levels of the pit, they look a little like a helix (spiral stair case) as they spiral around the level.

Ah, I thought you meant a regular helix. It would be very hard to do with brushes but it would look very cool

I'm gonna make another mario64ish map...this one with many moving platforms and cannons to blast you around, and it'll have a mario-kart64ish track running thru the map...it'll be like the mario maps I've made for HL1, but bigger, better, and have all the mario64 sounds in it...hehe Here'a we Goooo!!!...and oh yeah, my kitkat city map too ;) woohoo.

check my site for my latest mario map, mario_madness
http://docrocksmaps.homestead.com/docmaps.html

Now i know what to do:

Make some test map
Make maps for the "Malin" mod and work with my pet project..making a Sonic 2 mod.

sonic2? in source?

i'm always amazed at the variety of mods that will be on offer for HL2. I don't think I'll play another game for quite some time.

Except maybe doom3, unless someone makes a doom3 mod for HL2...

Originally posted by derby
sonic2? in source?

i'm always amazed at the variety of mods that will be on offer for HL2. I don't think I'll play another game for quite some time.

Except maybe doom3, unless someone makes a doom3 mod for HL2...

Yes, like the Sonic 2 game on MD/Genesis but in 3d and using source. It just a one man mod that i have...as a pet project.

I will make a bunch of test maps (big suprise) and then a nice paradise island and stuff.
Maybe later I'll make a racing track, would be cool!

This is a bit off-topic though: Someone should make a Mario Kart mod :-D

i wanna capture the atmosphere of ghost in the shell.
i wanna make the huge decaying skyscrapers, with destroyed neon kanji signs.
lots of garbage around the streets, people walking around with cyberware sometimes visible.

i just wanna capture the whole anime feel actually. but making it more realistic, it's not gonna be cel shaded.

then, your mission will be to enter a building stealthily, killing one of the execs on the top floor.
you will be able to hack your way into their sec system via the matrix, you will be able to climb into the vent system, sneaking around.

and go invisible of course :)

when im done with that, i wanna make a sort of independence day thing.
with huge alien spaceships hovering in the sky, with very advanced and beautiful puffy clouds that the spaceship is pushing away when it drives slowly towards you.
(i hope thats possible).

and THEN, a creepy 50's haunted house on the hill type thing, you start out outside and the full moon is detailed and beautiful, the house is old and rotten, lightning strikes. etc
inside the house there will be lots of creatures of course.

god, i cant wait :)

Niceties

I think my first map, which ive been brainstorming ideas for,
and still havnt settled on a specific theme/layout..
but it will be a DM map for sure.

Will include custom textures and models and im hoping to spend alot of attention to lighting for this map, w/ hl1 i never enjoyed working with lighting.. the compile process and the light vs. shadow details were just too much of a hassle.. so now i hope to really perfect my lighting abilities.

If anyone's looking for any artwork for inspiration,
www.raph.com
is a great online collection of art

I was considering making a sunken ship level after I was finished with all the physics tests, but then I noticed something that I think hasn't been addressed yet...

With all the wood physics in place and stuff, would it be possible to have an entire wooden ship underwater? And if so, how would it react?

Of course if all it did was float on the surface, it would still be cool. Just think about making an entire island out of wood...

Those are some really cool creative ideas, people.

I find map making to be one of the most creative things anyone could do. Combining technology and many artforms into one living breathing world can be deeply enjoyable and breathtaking. I used to draw in pencil and paint in oil, pastel and watercolour, but since I discovered map making, all that just seems bland, boring, lifeless.

I have always wanted to make a huge wide deep canyon with a heavy-looking concrete bridge and half-oval tunnels on either side. Blue river way down below, surrounded by red desert rock, all looked down upon by an omnipresent sun. I want to capture the atmosphere of Half-Life's canyon levels also featured in an old TF2 video, and perhaps improve on it with Half-Life 2's technology.

I did some mapping a couple of years ago mostly for CS. I'd like to re-create these in HL2. The new engine will expand on the posibilities that HL1 gave us. Particularly open spaces and the level size itself (not to mention the dynamic physics). Here's one map I made back in '01.
clicky

Originally posted by i8yourparents
With all the wood physics in place and stuff, would it be possible to have an entire wooden ship underwater? And if so, how would it react?

You'd have to increase the weight of the wood to make sure it sinks (some wood does naturally), I doubt that HL2's buoyancy calculations are accurate enough to reflect things are full of water. As a ship sinks the air inside is replaced by water increasing the wieght without increasing the water displacement, causing it to sink. Maybe you could use contraints to attach enough heavy objects to your ship to make it stay submerged.

In HL1, you can set an object to float or not (can't remember the exact name for it) I think prefabs like tables and barrels had this on by default.

--Poindexter

I realize alot of people are impressed by the large level potential in HL2's source engine... but I also know that a majority of us plan on making maps for Online play (deathmatch,Ctf etc..)
that being said, The size of the maps in HL1 for online play arent even using hl1's maximum space alotment. So its pretty safe to assume that not many of us will be venturing into the massive space allowed for the map.

And I would advise against doing so for online play, people get lost enough as it is in some of the maps out there.. Keep the large maps for the single player creaters!

The last reply was off and on topic.. but this is definately on topic..

My Idea, that ive finally settled on.. for my 1st hl2 map is inspired by Duke Nukem 3D's Level #1 "Hollywood holocaust".

For those of you who dont know what map I speak of,
It takes place on a street, with a movie theatre, an arcade room, and several other locations.

I have fond memories of playing on my LAN against friends on this map.. The layout was enjoyable to play through time and time again.

Now this is only inspired by the map, the layout will generally be the same, however I have brainstormed and come up with a wide variety of additions and modifications that I think will add the content and depth that duke3d obviously didnt allow for.

The details in the map will allow me to implement alot of the new nifty features of the source engine... and Im pretty sure the map will get a few overhauls as I learn to do more with the engine.

I wont go into details, wouldnt want to spoil the suprise!

Anything that looks like Kinpin with that Gang feel, thats what i wanna bash at ... thought i aint mapped in awhile

Im gonna make a giant room made out of rigid dead bodies

:p

Actually ill probably just make a giant wood dealie with lots of wood thats all woody and made out of wood

100th post :p

Back