What's pissing me off the most.

BWMASTER

Reaction score
No, it is not that HL2 got delayed because I coulcnt even play it enjoyably on my 1ghz computer.

It's that they are not precise. They say they are going to release the game some time during the holidays.

No clear date has been said no clear info on things to come before the release.

We are basically more clueless on things now than we were yesterday, in my opinion.

:borg:

Ugh. Unless you're over 90 and your time is running out, have a little patience. HL2 will come and it'll be great. Consider yourself lucky it is being released at all in the near future.

I mean, look at Duke Nukem Forever. Thats never bloody coming izzit? :p

I dont even know what Columbus Day is. :p

I was thinking Christmas.

My guess is it'll probably be around Vivendi's 'planned' date---November 14 or somesuch

*goes into corner and sobs*

Holidays typically means mid-November through Dec. 31. You know it's getting bad if they change it to "Winter", which is clear through mid March

nov 14 is my birthday :)
awfully long though, goddamn month and a half :/

Isn't the "Holiday season" basically defined by the three main holidays: Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years?

So it does seem a very broad date when it's anywhere from November to early January ...my guess ls mid to late November at this point.

If HL2 was going to be released on October 13th and Valve says "yeah, that's a holiday release, it counts!" then that would be the funniest move I have ever seen a company make. Plus, it would make sense, since for so long Valve thought it would reach the Sept. 30th date, if there was any delay at all, it should only be a week or two of extra work time.

*Still grasping for false hope*

Actually I'm expecting us to hear nothing then they'll say "Half-Life 2 has gone gold, we're finalising the release date".

Wasn't there supposed to be 2 new HL2 movies released when Steam came out of beta btw?

What happened to those?

I guess there was that little Source engine one (that showed off the lighting effects on those rooftops, yknow, the one with the passive alien guarding a door), but that didn't really seem like much.

I think it's a joke.

They will release it on Oct 2nd and claim any day that has Half Life 2 released is a holiday!

I thought they were supposed to release the Strider and the Buggy video. Maybe they will do it eventually.

And as for "holiday" ...I'm thinking sometime in November, as much as I would hate to wait that long.

I just hope Valve gets away from their inexplicable decision to release information in these informal, hard to confirm ways. I can see now that there is value in pushing a game through normal, official communication avenues (a press release on their woefully underutilized Website) and channels.

Oh yeah, the "sack full of doorknobs" approach of annoucning the delay a week before the game was supposed to be on shelves when they've known for a long time it wasn't going to make it was annoying, too.

Originally posted by not28
I thought they were supposed to release the Strider and the Buggy video. Maybe they will do it eventually.

And as for "holiday" ...I'm thinking sometime in November, as much as I would hate to wait that long.

They're probably still to scared that releasing the videos will hose all the people playing CS through Steam <Scotty voice> We NEED more bandwidth, Captain!</scotty voice>

The fact that they don't have a releasedate yet is a proof that this delay has just came up out of nowhere.
They stumbled into a new problem or a problem that they thought could be fixed but in the end couldn't just recently.

But I do wonder what that in the holidays means, november? December? Easter?

Originally posted by Hexen
Ugh. Unless you're over 90 and your time is running out, have a little patience. HL2 will come and it'll be great. Consider yourself lucky it is being released at all in the near future.

I mean, look at Duke Nukem Forever. Thats never bloody coming izzit? :p

COME ON PEOPLE THIS IS VALVE, THE SAME PEOPLE THAT HYPED TEAM FORTRESS2. LETS BE HONEST HALF LIFE 2 MAY NEVER HIT STORE SHELVES. DAMN IT VALVE, WHY MUST YOU DO THIS AGAIN? DONT SET RELEASE DATES YOU CANT MEET! YOU JUST PISS PEOPLE OFF!

I think like this: 30th sept=woohoo!celebrate! , mid oct=Hm, good enough, 14th Nov=what the hell's wrong with Valve? , Christmas=*undescribable roar* I'm gonna kill myself.

Originally posted by Piecemak3r
COME ON PEOPLE THIS IS VALVE, THE SAME PEOPLE THAT HYPED TEAM FORTRESS2. LETS BE HONEST HALF LIFE 2 MAY NEVER HIT STORE SHELVES. DAMN IT VALVE, WHY MUST YOU DO THIS AGAIN? DONT SET RELEASE DATES YOU CANT MEET! YOU JUST PISS PEOPLE OFF!

I think you should take your finger of the shift button, really.

Valve actually waited a long time before saying a releasedate to be fairly accurate (a delay of perhaps 2 months is nothing over 5 years) so they were careful to announce a date they couldn't meet. They were close though.

Originally posted by PvtRyan
The fact that they don't have a releasedate yet is a proof that this delay has just came up out of nowhere.
They stumbled into a new problem or a problem that they thought could be fixed but in the end couldn't just recently.

But I do wonder what that in the holidays means, november? December? Easter?

Main delay reasons:
1. STEAM not up to snuff
2. NVIDIA rendering still sucks and a bazillion people have their vid cards
3. STEAM not up to snuff
4. SKUs confused everybody and made Vivendi MAD
5. STEAM not up to snuff

i can understand delays, its part of the hobby and while its very disapointing, its still just a game.

what bothers me the most i think, is that i thought the whole point of developing in secret for 4 years was so that they could deliver a solid release date when they where ready for it. what happened to that idea ? i wouldnt have got my hopes up if they hadnt preached that back in May. ah well, im sort of glad ill have time to play Halo PC multiplayer until HL2 now.

Originally posted by Democritus
They're probably still to scared that releasing the videos will hose all the people playing CS through Steam <Scotty voice> We NEED more bandwidth, Captain!</scotty voice>

They could release the new videos over fileplanet and other mirrors if they needed to watch bandwidth. Isn't that how they released the DX9 rooftop video?

Now to put it a different way.

I ask the question why did valve willingly come out and say that they were going to release the game on Sept. 30th 7 months ago when they could of just said that its going to be released at the end of 2003 (4th quarter).

They pissed off many of their fans.

Also if they wanna make more money, the sooner is is released the sooner people will buy it and it will still be on for the holidays.

Originally posted by not28
They could release the new videos over fileplanet and other mirrors if they needed to watch bandwidth. Isn't that how they released the DX9 rooftop video?

The DX9 Demo came, I believe, during a really bad time for Steam. Releasing videos in any other way than Steam would basically be an admission on their part that Steam can't handle anything.

Originally posted by BWMASTER
Now to put it a different way.

I ask the question why did valve willingly come out and say that they were going to release the game on Sept. 30th 7 months ago when they could of just said that its going to be released at the end of 2003 (4th quarter).

I'm afraid that, we are responsible for that. Not the developer wants to give us the releasedate, no we gamers demand it. We want to see a solid date on which we can expect our game. And something can always come up, you can't prevent that.

what bothers me the most i think, is that i thought the whole point of developing in secret for 4 years was so that they could deliver a solid release date when they where ready for it.

Like I said, something can always come up, we don't know yet what that is.

Originally posted by Democritus
The DX9 Demo came, I believe, during a really bad time for Steam. Releasing videos in any other way than Steam would basically be an admission on their part that Steam can't handle anything.

Steam is still a tiny bit overloaded at this point, but they managed to sucessfully release the videos during the beta.

The DX9 Source Video came out between the Steam Beta ending and the official Steam launch.

Originally posted by femur

what bothers me the most i think, is that i thought the whole point of developing in secret for 4 years was so that they could deliver a solid release date when they where ready for it.

Maybe the game is ready. Maybe their publisher is holding them to their release date instead of Valves?

why the f*ck did they keep saying september 30th then rather than "near holiday release" earlier?

are we too good for them!? :flame:

Well BW...the reason they aren't giving a specific date is because that is the very thing that got them in trouble last time. Don't expect a specific date until the game goes gold now.

Personally, I think specific dates shouldn't be given until they are a sure thing and the game is finished. Look what happened here.

Originally posted by mknlb50
why the f*ck did they keep saying september 30th then rather than "near holiday release" earlier?

are we too good for them!? :flame:

Because we as gamers demanded a date instead instead of just the quarter of the year in which it would be released.

Originally posted by DarkStar
Well BW...the reason they aren't giving a specific date is because that is the very thing that got them in trouble last time. Don't expect a specific date until the game goes gold now.

Personally, I think specific dates shouldn't be given until they are a sure thing and the game is finished. Look what happened here.

I think the 30th of Setember date was as much for Valve as it was for us. They've worked on the game for 4 years, I think they needed a deadline so they had something to aim for.

Look at other "When its done" games, some of them still haven't been released (Duke Nukem Forever).

Originally posted by PvtRyan
Because we as gamers demanded a date instead instead of just the quarter of the year in which it would be released.

When did we demand a date? They said September 30 with no provocation from us, as I recall.

Well imho if it aint out in october, they should damn be ready to compensate just a litte... new video or tech demo anyone?

I do understand the delay.
They gotta do what they gotta do.
However, I will not believe they haven't known for some time now that the game would be delayed.
It's not like 6 days before the release date they realize "OMG! We still have 3 months of work left on the game! I don't think we can make it!"

It's all those people who took vacations that I feel sorry for.

Wow, Valve sucks. According to Fragmaster, who appears to have been right all along, Doug Lombardi stated a long time back that the game was going to be delayed. And yet, at ECTS after that statementt, he said September 30. So basically they knew it was going to be delayed and yet mislead us. Why?

Originally posted by CommieX
Wow, Valve sucks. According to Fragmaster, who appears to have been right all along, Doug Lombardi stated a long time back that the game was going to be delayed. And yet, at ECTS after that statementt, he said September 30. So basically they knew it was going to be delayed and yet mislead us. Why?

that's why i hate their f*cking attitude. they think we're too good for them. :flame:

Originally posted by mknlb50
that's why i hate their f*cking attitude. they think we're too good for them. :flame:

Don't you mean, "they think 'they're' to good for 'us'"????

Back