When will they reveal Multiplayer?

E

Eternity

It seems to be getting pretty close to the end of the line for the Valve folks, and I'm guessing their non-existent PR krew aren't going to be releasing anything new until they ship out the review copies. So, when the **** are they going to tell us about multiplayer? It's always been, "we're gonna talk about that later." Well, you can't get much later than this.

Was their murky debut of Counter-Strike Source the multiplayer long hidden? Because if it was, that debut was just lame. I mean, give me a break, you guys were so bad at it most of the gaming population still doesn't know if that's really it or not. What's going on!?

Agent.M said:
You dont know that for a fact and more than likely its not.

THANK YOU! ... god ... some people dont pay attention

I would think CS:S is not the multiplayer portion of HL2. Granted we know nothing of it but that'd be pretty weak and I'm sure we'll end up getting DM just like HL1. Just my two cents.

Peace,
Dweez

it will be revealed when they announce the different versions, payment plans, what each one includes etc. hopefully soon.

Yay! The curtain shall be drawn back, and we shall know what each contains. My guess is that the normal versions (not CE) will have HL2, HL2 multi, and CS:S. While the CE will have the above listed and HL:S and some other nifty goodies!

Guys, they've even said that CS:S is the only multiplayer portion of hl2.

I don't think they would play word games with us on it. "Maybe he meant game as in ported sou... phhh"

just stop with that crap CS:S in the only multiplayer

Why would they spend lots of time making hl2 themed multiplayer when they could take a very very popular mod (isn't it one of the most played on the internet?) and appease all those people. Besides CS:S will still probably be bigger even if they released hl2's own multiplayer. Not to mention all the other ports their making... that is a lot of work!

The multiplayer has been revealed, people are just too arrogant to accept it.

aeroripper said:

I don't think they would play word games with us on it. "Maybe he meant game as in ported sou... phhh"

Why would they spend lots of time making hl2 themed multiplayer when they could take a very very popular mod (isn't it one of the most played on the internet?) and appease all those people. Besides CS:S will still probably be bigger even if they released hl2's own multiplayer. Not to mention all the other ports their making... that is a lot of work!

well if they don't include it, a portion of hl2 fans may not buy hl2. i mean if you aren't into CS, whats the benefit of buying the game if you can just pirate the SP?

like others have said, it would be stupid not to include a MP component based on the cool universe that is in hl2, the weapons, the physics. it would be a waste.

Say it ain't so!

Personally, I hope they include some kind of standard DM, TDM, CTF type setup. Counter-Strike is cool and all but I just loved Half-Life 1 deathmatch.

Valve... they're sneaky bastards.

Edit: Welcome to the forums Methias!

Well, it is pretty hard to copy the SP considering Steam.

I think CSS would be the only MP for now (if you dont include revamped HL DM and Richoshit)

Valve needs to include standard HL2 multiplayer. If they didn't there would be nothing to base the multiplayer SDK on. Perhaps it won't launch with any multiplayer maps (I doubt they'd do that, though), but the ability to create and join games will without a doubt be present.

ecchi said:
Valve needs to include standard HL2 multiplayer. If they didn't there would be nothing to base the multiplayer SDK on. Perhaps it won't launch with any multiplayer maps (I doubt they'd do that, though), but the ability to create and join games will without a doubt be present.

good point. when i open hammer i don't want to be making maps for CS:S thats for damn sure.

iamaelephant said:
The SDK will be based on CS:S.

and your statement is 'based' on no proof

They did state that HL:S would not have a deathmatch.
but HL:S!=HL2

could we get a quote from someone proving that there is nothing other than cs? And I don't mean a statement that says "CS:S is the multiplayer."

poseyjmac said:
i mean if you aren't into CS, whats the benefit of buying the game if you can just pirate the SP?

What indeed? As a game engineer, here is my train of thought:

"I work hard to provide a quality product, and people keep stealing it. Therefore, I will work even harder - neglect my family just a little more - in the hopes that I can add enough extra features that people will actually find my labor worthy of being paid for."

That's what truly motivates me in life.

On topic: I wonder if HL2 has MP? Let's discuss it... again.

Valve has never said CS:S is HL2's multiplayer portion, but on the other hand they have never said it isn't. No one knows for sure, and anyone claiming to know, doesn't know. There's evidence for both sides of the argument, and to completely rule one side out is arrogant.

aeroripper said:

You dont seem to understand that alot of people including myself dont like cs all that much in the first place. MP games have evolved a little past cs now.. in my opinion alot of HL fans will be quite dissapointed if its just cs which valve themselves didnt even create in the first place ...after 6 YEARS of development I would seriously hope that they would have been doing something with a MP portion for this game and not just porting over a mod.

Edit: But then again we are talking about valve.... no offense there valve you know i Luvs yeah! :smoking:

In my personal opinion, I think CS:S is like Team Fortress Classic i.e. it's just a showcase for Half-Life 2's modding capabilities, just like Half-Life: Source. CS:S is acting as a MP mod, and HL:S is acting as an SP mod, as well as showing that it's relatively easy to convert a HL1 mod into a HL2 mod. I simply can't see why Valve would choose a 5 year old mod over something new. It just doesn't sound like them, really.

KagePrototype said:
Valve has never said CS:S is HL2's multiplayer portion, but on the other hand they have never said it isn't. No one knows for sure, and anyone claiming to know, doesn't know. There's evidence for both sides of the argument, and to completely rule one side out is arrogant.

well actually theres alot more evidence to suggest cs:s is the only multiplayer. and there is litterally no evidence that there is any hl2:dm.

KagePrototype said:
In my personal opinion, I think CS:S is like Team Fortress Classic i.e. it's just a showcase for Half-Life 2's modding capabilities, just like Half-Life: Source. CS:S is acting as a MP mod, and HL:S is acting as an SP mod, as well as showing that it's relatively easy to convert a HL1 mod into a HL2 mod. I simply can't see why Valve would choose a 5 year old mod over something new. It just doesn't sound like them, really.

That is actualy somewhat of along the lines of my theory on this topic...seems logical. :thumbs:

iamaelephant said:
The multiplayer has been revealed, people are just too arrogant to accept it.

Some people are so arrogant as to believe that their opinions are proven facts. Show me where it's been definitively stated by Valve that CS:S is HL2 multiplayer.

The SDK will be based on CS:S.

Again, cite a source. This is just your opinion.

If HL2 doesn't have it's own multiplayer, I'll eat my hat... Ok, I'll buy a hat, THEN eat it.

Seriously.

Pi Mu Rho said:
Some people are so arrogant as to believe that their opinions are proven facts. Show me where it's been definitively stated by Valve that CS:S is HL2 multiplayer.

fact: cs:s is the only multiplayer we've seen, and the only multiplayer valve have mentioned to be included with hl2 on release.

fact: we have never seen hl2:dm, nor has it ever been mentioned by valve.

all the current evidence suggests that cs:s is the only multiplayer. until more evidence presents itself, thats what i'll chose to believe.

Its not a opinion, the only way it could not be true is if the wave of news stories that came up a few months back were wrong. Thats possible, I'll grant that, but they DID say cs:s was the halflife2 multiplayer. I'll link to it if I can dig it up.

The main evidence to suggest CS:S is not HL2's mp:

1. Gabe said last year, before CS:S was supposedly started (January 2004), that he played hl2 mp everyday
2. CS:S was originally going to be a stand-alone retail product, as with all the other Source conversions. Obviously this has changed since.
3. There is a playable deathmatch mode in the stolen build

CS:S is a mod for HL2. It's not integrated. It's also a seperate commercial product (for those that don't want to buy HL2)

Something existed for MP prior to CS:S. It's not really credible that Valve would just scrap a project like that.

If CS:S was HL2 MP, the source for it would be part of the SDK. As CS:S is also a commercial product, I find this highly unlikely - Valve wouldn't want several CS:S "remakes" that would inevitably occur. The best base for a multiplayer SDK is straight DM.

Homer said:
Its not a opinion, the only way it could not be true is if the wave of news stories that came up a few months back were wrong. Thats possible, I'll grant that, but they DID say cs:s was the halflife2 multiplayer. I'll link to it if I can dig it up.

Seems to me that all these news waves came out after the interview with cliffe when he said that "css was the only MP game they are shipping at the monet with HL2" which the way he worded wasnt a direct statement either.... no one knows or will for a few more weeks.

Edit: when css is refered too as "only game" I believe that its meant as extra mod/game with HL2 there not refering to it as the MP potion as a whole for HL2. O and I remeber a post from cliffe that stated that some people were reading to much into his statements about HL2 MP and css.

Agent.M said:
Seems to me that all these news waves came out after the interview with cliffe when he said that "css was the only MP game they are shipping at the monet with HL2" which the way he worded wasnt a direct statement either.... no one knows or will for a few more weeks.

Edit: when css is refered too as "only game" I believe that its meant as extra mod/game with HL2 there not refering to it as the MP potion as a whole for HL2. O and I remeber a post from cliffe that stated that some people were reading to much into his statements about HL2 MP and css.

Hey, all there is left to do untill the game is out is read to much into old interviews.

Homer said:
Hey, all there is left to do untill the game is out is read to much into old interviews.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

And what are you doing?????

exactly whats left to do. And watching sealab.

This is point less to argue about cause no one knows what it will be for sure ..... just have to wait and find out, back on topic: hopefully that will be soon, once we find out the package details prior to retail.

personally im just finishing dinner then about to play call of duty united offensive SP demo :D

Probably the 4th preload, or the one with the maps, will reveal HL2 themed multiplayer maps for the doubters. It's too hard to wait instead of discuss the same thing over and over again?

The easy thing to do is just leave the forum for a extended period of time when things get pointless. As I did on september 30th 2003. Then come back when things pick up. As I did a few weeks back.

Homer said:
The easy thing to do is just leave the forum for a extended period of time when things get pointless. As I did on september 30th 2003. Then come back when things pick up. As I did a few weeks back.

Nah, Ill stick around things are starting to get good! I dont plan on leaving this forum once HL2 is out either.

Back