where can i find a cheap fx5800?

link84

Reaction score
Im looking at getting on of these for hl2 but doom 3 and deus ex 2 mainly. any ideas?

Why an FX 5800? You can get an FX5900 for around the same price, or even better a Radeon 9800...

Originally posted by NYHoustonman
Why an FX 5800? You can get an FX5900 for around the same price, or even better a Radeon 9800...

o well whatever aslong as its a nvidia cause ive aklways had thier products and they have never failed me

Originally posted by link84
o well whatever aslong as its a nvidia cause ive aklways had thier products and they have never failed me
prepare to be failed

link while i agree with you nvidia are great product makers the fx range of cards are sadly lacking in the directx9 performance area... which hl2 and doom3 are... as much as it hurts me to say it... (i love nvidia) but your better off with a 9700pro or a 9800nonpro or a 9800pro...

TheRook
:x

Originally posted by Desolate
prepare to be failed

heheh exactly what i meant when i said "Ill let someone else take care of you......." :p

Originally posted by TheRook
link while i agree with you nvidia are great product makers the fx range of cards are sadly lacking in the directx9 performance area... which hl2 and doom3 are... as much as it hurts me to say it... (i love nvidia) but your better off with a 9700pro or a 9800nonpro or a 9800pro...

TheRook
:x

how can you even dare to say sucha thing their dx 9.0 drivers arent even out

i don't think anybody can honestly recommend an FX card right now, ESPECIALLY not a 5800 :dork:

Well if you want a hair dryer and a video card you can recommend a 5800.

really, the only viable DX 9 choice now are ATI cards, whether it be mainstream or high end

Yea... do it link84, get an Nvidia FX card, you won't be dissapointed :thumbs:

Originally posted by TrueWeltall
Well if you want a hair dryer and a video card you can recommend a 5800.
i could careless about sound

you mean there 50 drivers?

the ones that boost performance by 50% while making everything look like crap?

Originally posted by Jagermeister
Yea... do it link84, get an Nvidia FX card, you won't be dissapointed :thumbs:

You ppl are missing my question i want to know where i can get a 5900 ultra for cheap

yes, but please, read the links i provided, i really don't want you to spend all that money on a card and then realize nvidia either cheated to get it running somewhere close to playable in DX 9 or that it's unplayable at all in DX 9

what the hell directx9 has been out for ages and they have released several driver versions... and your telling me only NOW! that 1 game thats using directx9 features has come out they figured to release drivers for it...

come on... i LOVE nvidia i still prefer them more than ATi but i want a 9800pro purely because it runs hl2 better than the 5900 (AT the moment!) but i dont want to get a 5900 on the off chance that the det50's are the most amazing drivers in the world and can give a 100-150% performance increase... and if they can the nvidia engineers must be the best damn coders in the f**king world!!!

TheRook

Originally posted by Doobz
yes, but please, read the links i provided, i really don't want you to spend all that money on a card and then realize nvidia either cheated to get it running somewhere close to playable in DX 9 or that it's unplayable at all in DX 9

ive read them but why would i care they were using dx 8.1 drivers for the test meaning that it would run like shit. I dare valve to test a raedon 9800 pro with its dx 8.1 drivers and it would preform worst then the 5900 ultra i garuntee it

You ppl are missing my question i want to know where i can get a 5900 ultra for cheap

ok where do u live? in the USA or Europe?

have you bothered to take any advice people are trying to give you. Read those links given to you for gods sake. This isn't an ATI fan site just people who are really trying to help. The FX Range is redundant, finished, capput, passed away, kicked the bucket......it is a dead chip. That is unless you want to play in DirectX 8 for the rest of your life.

Originally posted by MacGraham
have you bothered to take any advice people are trying to give you. Read those links given to you for gods sake. This isn't an ATI fan site just people who are really trying to help. The FX Range is redundant, finished, capput, passed away, kicked the bucket......it is a dead chip. That is unless you want to play in DirectX 8 for the rest of your life.

i dont need their advice i want to know where i can find one for cheap

I CANNOT, comprehend why you would spend 400$ on a 5900ultra after everything that has been said as of late.

i dont need their advice i want to know where i can find one for cheap

why?????? bury your head in the sand why don't you. In DirectX 9 they are 50% slower than an ATI 9800pro. A ATI 9600pro for £100 is faster than a FX5900pro 256Mb....please believe me

why?????? bury your head in the sand why don't you. In DirectX 9 they are 50% slower than an ATI 9800pro. A ATI 9600pro for £100 is faster than a FX5900pro 256Mb....please believe me

the 9800 pro runs like that on thier old drivers too

dude, believe us, we really don't want you to make a bad purchase decision, we care about what you buy, we don't want you to be unhappy with it (and for the record they did test the 9800 Pro against the 5900U in DX 8.1 mode, they performed evenly, but in DX 9 mode, nvidia got creamed, it doesn't matter what drivers they were using, those 45.xx drivers are suppose to be fully DX 9 capable, even says so in their release notes). and it's not only HL2 this horrible performance has shown up in, it's also shown up in 2 other DX 9 games, Halo, and TROAD

nobody here can honestly recommend a 5900 Ultra to you, so, please, reconsider

i cant believe thier are so many ppl pissing themselves buying 9800 just because a benchmark comes and yet the ppl allowing the benchmark got 5 mil for ati yet they dont let the otehr video card maker use thier beta drivers which show increase in preformance. God more ppl need AS like me so their are more ppl that can think for themselves

the 9800 pro runs like that on thier old drivers too

no, they don't, there's less than a 5% discrepency between they're range of catalysts, from 3.2 to 3.7

and those drivers tested were the newest ones put out by nvidia

i cant believe thier are so many ppl pissing themselves buying 9800 just because a benchmark comes and yet the ppl allowing the benchmark got 5 mil for ati yet they dont let the otehr video card maker use thier beta drivers which show increase in preformance. God more ppl need AS like me so their are more ppl that can think for themselves

if you read the articles concerning this, valve stated their reasons why they didn't use them, they contained HL2 specific optimizations and lowered quality to below DX 9 standards and then tried to pass it off as fully DX 9

dude, it's been known for a long time that nvidia lost this round, don't take it out on us, we've spent hours researching this

the fact that you originally asked for a 5800 shows you know little to nothing about the video card market right now, even the most hardcore nvidia fans would recommend against it

Just spend the time reading the recent reports that were linked for you. If want the real answer i dare you to go into the main HL2 discussion and ask the same question. Even Nvidia users will tell you. We've had people in tears on this forum (virtual ones) because they've just shelled out on a 5900pro

next you'll want a price for a Apple Mac to play it on. Great machine but totally useless for the task

Just spend the time reading the recent reports that were linked for you. If want the real answer i dare you to go into the main HL2 discussion and ask the same question. Even Nvidia users will tell you. We've had people in tears on this forum (virtual ones) because they've just shelled out on a 5900pro
ive read them and about 4 other links im still gettting a 5900 ultra cause the majority of the stuff on the computer is maya work

believe us, we're not ATI fanboys, we really don't want to see you make such a bad decision

the surrounding controversy around the whole thing should be enough to shy away any buyer from Nvidia right now. look at ATI and its DX 9 cards. there have been no controversies, no accusations of cheating. just great reviews all around, and great DX 9 performance in recent DX 9 games, HL2, TROAD, Halo.

right now, there's nothing against ATI cards, they've got everything going for them, great performance, great IQ, great drivers

Back