where can i find.....

hoboman

Reaction score
is there anything i can do to find out the name of my mobo in my comp? (i'm using xp) and if will fit which vid card? the ones with 2 divided or 3 divided golden thingie?
i'm having the same problem as another guy that posted a while ago

aida32 is good too... but it's called something different now...

ok great now i know it's intel pentium 4 w/ 1.70 ghz.
see the thing is i'm going to buy a radeon 9800 pro and the bus of that is agp 8x and mines max support is 4x, is that any problem at all?

so what does that mean?
wait, i know...i need a new mobo.....sigh......

That it should work..?
Or do you mean what does agp speed mean? Not a lot is the short answer, changing from 4x to 8x would usually make hardly any difference. Iirc its not much more than a difference in bandwidth and voltages, but the extra bandwidth largely isnt used at 8x.
Been out of the loop for quite a while when it comes to hardware so if im wrong here somebody please correct me.

edit:Oops, my other post should have read:
No, 9800s support 4x.
lol

yes please i want to play hl2 goddammit! :rolling:
:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: AND i'm happy agian!!!!! :E :E :E well then you think i should buy the 9800 pro? cuz the card i have is a gf2 mx and hell does it suck ;(
and now since you know about my mobo and all would the 9800 work on it?

I have a 9800xt and im happy with it. But the rest of my system is better than yours. Its possible that the card is overkill for yours as it may not be able to take advantage of it. You should go and look at some benchmarks to find out.

Sites like xbitlabs.com hardocp.com anandtech.com (edit: try to avoid tomshardware) etc. Find some old 9800 pro reviews and you should see the 9800 pro tested on setups similar to yours. Look for mentions of bottlenecks/cpu limiting or anything like that. If there is you should consider a 9600 card instead imo.

alright reaktor, i saw a review at xbits lab about the 9800 pro, they tested it with a athlon barton xp 2100 mhz(or 2.1 ghz?)
i guess it's not THAT big of a diffrence from 1.70 ghz...right? ok.....only thing is that comp used in the benchmark had mad ass ram, 768mb( damn) i only got 256 and that 's nothing compared to that. I didn't really see anything about bottlenecks etc in the article, i read everything so i guess my board'll do fine? he benchmarked the card with several games like cs s far cry or some rally game and it all came out good, atleast better that some other nvidia card...
here's the link: http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=684&pageID=971

hope i'm right bout dis..... ;(

That articles not really relevant because the cpu is about the same as a pentium thats 1 ghz faster than yours and also the video card is different (worse). Its hard to find the right benchmarks because your processor is much older than the 9800s. I had a look and i couldnt find anything either.
If you dont need to save money it wont do any harm getting a 9800 pro but you still might not get great framerates in newer games no matter how good a card you buy.

a 9800pro with a 1.7Ghz P4 is plenty enough to run HL2 decently and most modern games. No, you're not going to be able to crank the resolution or details all the way up, but for the average gamer at 800x600 or even 1024x768 with medium details its fine.

yea well i could buy the card now for hl2 and when i get my job i can save up for new mobo and memory....yea! good idea, but even tho hl2 is out now i won't be able to buy it....gotta wait all the way till christmas sale and 9800 pro and hl2 will be half off, you think dat's a good idea? and do you think the prices will dropp like that much? cuz everyone said that.

btw very happy hl2 finally came out....if only i could be crazy like the other dudes, welcoming the game with their kick ass system....hehe..... :sleep:

;(

Yeah no point getting the card now if you dont need it and can get it cheaper later. I doubt the prices will drop that much, but then i dont live in america so i wouldnt really know.
I think youre still getting motherboard and processor mixed up btw

oh...yea, well i'ma need a new mobo too cuz it's too tight spaced for the video/network/sound cards......i'm gonna need to fix up space for 9800 pro when i get it too haha :D
thx homie

Back