Which compiler and IDE to use for HL2 coding?

one

Reaction score
Which compiler and IDE should I use for coding HL2 modifications?

I'm pretty sure that HL2 source code will be optimized for Microsft Visual C++ 6, so I think we must use that as for the HL1 SDK. But it ain't free :(
There's nothing however, that we could change the situation with.

Chrysalid said:
I'm pretty sure that HL2 source code will be optimized for Microsft Visual C++ 6, so I think we must use that as for the HL1 SDK. But it ain't free :(
There's nothing however, that we could change the situation with.
I don't understand why they don't change to for example Visual C++ .net 2003.
But with the HL1 SDL you could also code with MinGW32, couldn't you? But I think it wasn't as easy and comfortable as with Visual C++ 6 ...
But how can I get Visual C++ 6 now? If I buy it at eBay it will probably cost very much, I'd prefer to buy a new academic version.

I've heard VS 2003 compiles the HL 1 SDK fine apart from a couple of easy to sort out errors, the HL 2 SDK should be the same.

So get VS 2003 (or even VS 2005 if you can wait for it to come out) it's a far better IDE than VS 6 anyways.

VS 2003 has compatibility with most VS6 code with some settings... It seems to be a little easier to use (what little I have), and has somewhat better standards compliance..

for those who can't afford, I think their is a command line version of (at least) the VS6 compiler engine... downloadable free from msdn. i don't know much about it tho

VALVe stated they were sticking with VC++6 because it was cheaper, meaning more people could buy it... (Its a pain to edit files in notepad and compile with a command line complier then it is with a IDE) and also becuase VC6 wouldn't be compatible with .Net 2003 projects.. But who knows they might include 2 projects, one for VC 6 and one for .Net...

-Limb

Phisionary said:
VS 2003 has compatibility with most VS6 code with some settings... It seems to be a little easier to use (what little I have), and has somewhat better standards compliance..

for those who can't afford, I think their is a command line version of (at least) the VS6 compiler engine... downloadable free from msdn. i don't know much about it tho
Yes, there's a free command line compiler from AFAIK Visual Studio .net 2003, so it is the latest one.
But as I could get an academic version I think I could afford it. Otherwise not. ;)

Limb said:
VALVe stated they were sticking with VC++6 because it was cheaper, meaning more people could buy it... (Its a pain to edit files in notepad and compile with a command line complier then it is with a IDE) and also becuase VC6 wouldn't be compatible with .Net 2003 projects.. But who knows they might include 2 projects, one for VC 6 and one for .Net...

-Limb
That would be really great, perhaps one more for the Dec C++ IDE. :)

BTW: Do you think it would be legal for a company like Valve to code with the free working model of Visual C++ 6.0 and compile with only one version they bought? I think it would be much cheaper to buy only one licence. *g*

one said:
BTW: Do you think it would be legal for a company like Valve to code with the free working model of Visual C++ 6.0 and compile with only one version they bought? I think it would be much cheaper to buy only one licence. *g*

Uhh, could you explain that more? I Don't quite understand what your trying to say.

-Limb

Limb said:
Uhh, could you explain that more? I Don't quite understand what your trying to say.

-Limb
You know the working model of Visual C++ 6.0? It's a kind of trial version.
So I meant if it would be legal, if Valve would only use many copies of this for all programmiers and only one copy of the full version to build the final game.

i'm pretty sure that isn't using the trial as intended, and M$ would probably say something about a company that sells millions of games copies a year only owning one license...

they meant cheaper for YOU, not them, vs.net 2k3 ent arch is running around $2300 now, im sure valve could afford that easily, where as you can pick up VS6 enterprise for about $200 at your local computer store, or just get VC++ for $50.

I quote myself from another thread. I still haven't played with this yet, so don't know if it will compile the SDK, but it's worth a try.

we11er said:
I've been using a text editor for years, just downloaded the free MS Visual C++ Express 5 Beta - get it while you still can.

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/visualc/

The main link is a downloader itself, click on "Having trouble downloading?
Click here for manual installation instructions." for full downloads.

Having said all that, since i've gotten used to editing in a simple editor, compiling from the command line, it's all just too much to move onto something like that!

we11er said:
I quote myself from another thread. I still haven't played with this yet, so don't know if it will compile the SDK, but it's worth a try.
Well, I think I'll wait for the final version of the VS.net 2005 and buy perhaps the academic version. Because I think it wouldn't be a good idea to buy VS.net 2003 few months before the release of 2005. ;)

I use VS.NET and HL SDK compiles fine with the older version of .NET and the newer 2003 version.

ilian said:
I use VS.NET and HL SDK compiles fine with the older version of .NET and the newer 2003 version.

good to hear, thanks for the confirmation.

hmm, but it's a beta

does this mean that it's going to be buggy?

and to what extent will the licencse be good for?

2005 Express works fine - i tried it myself. You have a modify a few enum references, but that's it. The betas are well worth downloading - you'll be amazed at some of the stuff in there. I haven't had a problem, though I haven't really done much coding with them.

edit: license, it's valid forever really - the express version is designed to be free for personal use.

edit: license, it's valid forever really - the express version is designed to be free for personal use.

Actually the beta has no licence, it's illegal to actually distribute stuff you make with it. Plus it'll stop working March 2005.

When VS 2005 does actually come out I'm pretty sure the express editions are gonna cost money (not that much though). If you're a student and want to buy VS it's worth checking the academic boxed copy. With this you get a full boxed copy of VS Pro with the VS Pro licence (meaning you can distribute/sell stuff you make with it) and it's far cheaper than the normal version of pro.

If anyone is a member of the HLCoder's list, you'd know that the project files are being distrubted for .NET not V6. That doesn't mean you can't use V6, but it will be more difficult without Vavle's project files.

Subject: [hlcoders] What MSVC version do you use/have?

I just want to do a quick straw poll of how many people on this list DON'T have access to MSVC.NET or above for their MOD development (we hope to only release MSVC.NET project files with the SDK)?

- Alfred

I wouldn't really worry about project files, it's not particularly hard to setup new ones. I believe they're releasing project files for VS.Net because they use aspects of C++ that just don't work with VS 6.0 meaning if you did want to use VS 6.0 you'd may have a hell of a job just trying to get the thing to compile (but then again it may just require fidling around with a few files).

argh! I tried to compile the SDK in 2005, but it kept asking for windows.h

a header file that doesn't exist!

Monder said:
If you're a student and want to buy VS it's worth checking the academic boxed copy. With this you get a full boxed copy of VS Pro with the VS Pro licence (meaning you can distribute/sell stuff you make with it) and it's far cheaper than the normal version of pro.

Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that it was not legal to sell/distribute stuff produced with the Academic version. Unfortunately, I never found hard info on Microsoft's site one way or the other, so I'm curious as to whether or not this is true. It would save me an amazing amount of money.

http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/

Convert the VS.NET 2003/2002 project into the Sharp Dev combine and work on it.

I work with VS.NET 2003 at Uni and #Dev at home.

I just convert my project from/to the appropriate format. The end result however is the same no matter what IDE you use.

So if you are going to compile HL2 DLLs then you'd only need to convert the SDK from VS.NET to #Dev and then make the DLL and it will work.

Languages:
C++ managed/unmanaged.
C#.
VB.NET.

i used ms vs .net 03 and to compile the old hl sdk all u have to do is fix a sqrt problem and bool hasweapon problem ... .net is nice <3

of course all those looking for a free compilier could google "Eclipse" which is a idm freeware project that has a c++ compiler plugin and is compadible with linux and windows

so they're sticking pretty much to the HL1 c++ system for mods?

madacian said:
If anyone is a member of the HLCoder's list, you'd know that the project files are being distrubted for .NET not V6. That doesn't mean you can't use V6, but it will be more difficult without Vavle's project files.
Subject: [hlcoders] What MSVC version do you use/have?

I just want to do a quick straw poll of how many people on this list DON'T have access to MSVC.NET or above for their MOD development (we hope to only release MSVC.NET project files with the SDK)?

- Alfred
Yes .. I was gonna post it but I saw you beat me to it long ago =P

K.I.L.E.R said:
http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/

Convert the VS.NET 2003/2002 project into the Sharp Dev combine and work on it.

I work with VS.NET 2003 at Uni and #Dev at home.

I just convert my project from/to the appropriate format. The end result however is the same no matter what IDE you use.

So if you are going to compile HL2 DLLs then you'd only need to convert the SDK from VS.NET to #Dev and then make the DLL and it will work.

Languages:
C++ managed/unmanaged.
C#.
VB.NET.

It doesn't say on the website that it supports C++ Syntax, nor does it say whether or not it comes with a C++ compiler.

Could you elaborate on how you got it to work with the HL2 SDK and how you are compileing the DLL's?

Back