Which Game Over screens are firmly imprinted on your mind from your youth?

Reginald

Reaction score
One thing I don't miss about modern games with magical self-healing and rampant ease of play is the Game Over screens that rub it in every time your own incompetence shines through. Which Game Over screens will you always remember?

*snip* Stupid images.

Gunstar Heroes

Even now on Virtual Console I can't for the life of me beat Seven Force. I literally start crying after the 70th time seeing that screen. The music seems so mocking at my defeat.

topsong02.jpg

Goldeneye blood. Always a tense nervewracking moment when you're just waiting for that lost shot to come out of nowhere and send you falling to the floor in a slow trickle of thick, red gore.

Goldeneye blood. Always a tense nervewracking moment when you're just waiting for that lost shot to come out of nowhere and send you falling to the floor in a slow trickle of thick, red gore.

Thisthisthisthisthisthis.

Hell yes.

Also Zelda: OoT. When you die as child link, watching him fall to the floor is really quite heart-wrenching. I never really understand how I died so often as child Link when I first played the game. When I play OoT now I can complete the whole child section in approx 2 or 3 hours.

There's also something slightly sinister about when you die in Pokemon. When you don't have any Pokemon left, you "white out". I always remember that when someone mentions whiting out.

Frontier Elite II , spinning tombstone with your obituary, cant find a shot atm. :(

Snake? SNAAAAAAAAAAKE!?

The Otacon one stands out the most for me.

But yeah, any of the MGS screens.

Man, you realize how young so many members are here when your "Game Over" screen is from NES or earlier, and lots of others are Playstation era.

Oh how could I forget metal gear solid *slaps forehead*

If I remember others I'll post them aswell.

Resident Evil 2, playing as Claire, one of the death screens had a male zombie sitting ontop of you eating from your neck, all the whilst humping your crotch, it looked like he was raping Claire, and that shit is HAWT.

Man, you realize how young so many members are here when your "Game Over" screen is from NES or earlier, and lots of others are Playstation era.
Or basically everyone is saying 'Metal Gear Solid', because it's the single most memorable game-over screen and game-over screens beforehand generally just tended to be the words 'game over' and a horribly sarcastic piece of music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vME4NLkux5A

That and because when you were really young, you rage quitted by throwing the controller across the room and screaming like a bitch.

Hitman: Codename 47's blood pool is by far the most memorable one for me. I always found it so cool to see bullet holes from where your enemies shot you.

Another good one was Operation Flashpoint, the "war and peace" quotes next to your bloody corpse because you didn't think ruskies could shoot through bushes.

I always found it funny to be able to look at my own gored up skull in Half-Life.

Max Payne 2 was hilarious whenever something exploded besides you.

GTA 1&2's "Wasted!" Loved it!

No One Lives Forever had the camera stuck to your field of view while seeing your body tumble into a (sexy) corpse. AIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEE!

This is gods way of saying you need to find another hobby.

The shoot'em up arcade games and their countless Mission Failed, you didn't rescue the president, the princess or satan's aunt are NOT memorable, they were annoying at best.

Playstation had many great scenes, but when I owned one I was only allowed to buy the pussy games like Spyro, Croc, Crash Bandicoot etc.

The blood dripping down the screen in 007: Goldeneye for the N64.

Goldeneye 007

Donkey Kong Country

Mechwarrior 2 (all the beeping and just plain blowing up)

and especially...

The Emperors New Groove game (yeah, I friggin loved that game). The game over screen was the scene from the movie where Isma holds the funeral for the Emperor. Always comical, never made me frustrated no matter how many times I died.

EDIT: Awesome, 3000th post :)

I never beat gunstar heroes. :(

Honestly, I don't have any ending screens imprinted in my brain. I remember that I beat games, but can't remember what the static ending screen was.

MGS ofcourse. MGS3 for the time paradox :p

Also COD's famous qoutes.

Resi 4.

Silent Hill 3. I hated getting that screen in that game as it freaked me out.

This is gods way of saying you need to find another hobby.

The shoot'em up arcade games and their countless Mission Failed, you didn't rescue the president, the princess or satan's aunt are NOT memorable, they were annoying at best.

Playstation had many great scenes, but when I owned one I was only allowed to buy the pussy games like Spyro, Croc, Crash Bandicoot etc.

I guess in 1988, games weren't annoying when you couldn't beat them, they were challenging and fun. Nowadays, especially when you're older, games you can't beat and are really difficult are annoying. I guess it was the newness of video games/being a kid that made it easy to not get annoyed at games.

I played through that ****ing seaweed level in the original Ninja Turtles a MILLION ****ing times. Then I had shit tons of fun, now I rage quit.

I never beat gunstar heroes. :(

Honestly, I don't have any ending screens imprinted in my brain. I remember that I beat games, but can't remember what the static ending screen was.

We're talking Game Over screens not the ending screens.

missile_command.gif

1980. Atrari. "Missile Command." This tiny GIF does not do it justice. I was twelve years old, about eye-level with the big tube-style display, standing in a big, dark, video arcade with about fifty other games all around making their own weird noises. You lost the game when the nukes took out the last of your cities, and then the "GAME OVER" screen explodes from the center of the screen with the sound of a really big nuclear explosion.

Back