Who all is upgrading for HL2?

W

WermerSkoch

I'm just curious.. Who all is upgrading their system specifically for HL2? I know I am.. Radeon 9800 Pro baby. :naughty:

I will, but I will wait until I know exactly what I need to buy.

I bought a Radeon 9200 (does that count?) to replace my old Rage128 pro (wich i bought to replace my crappy onboard sis 630/730 or something like that)...

I got a athlonxp 1200
With 256 mb SDR of ram,,,
I think it's enough since i'm so broke...

First week of may im going from an Athlon (non XP) 1400Mhz, 512DDR 266Mhz, Ti 4200 128Mb to a P4C 2800Mhz, 1024DDR 400Mhz, Radeon 9800 pro. Its not all for Hl2, i want stalker pretty bad and doom3 is going to rock (first time through at least) and also, as most people will agree, there is nothing more fun and exciting than getting a new pc. must be what its like for women with those newborn baby things. how do you overclock a toddler? that shit is to confusing!

I've already upgraded so to speak, I tweak my system to meet growing demands :)

I was tricked into upgradeing for anticipated HL2 release before....

But I am perfectly happy that I did!

I got a sweet ass system and hardware hasnt changed much recently :)

I've got everything I need to play, but my geforce 4 mx400 doesn't support pixel shaders (which is a bit crap considering I wanted to play deus ex2). Question, does a geforce 4 titanium require 4x agp, if so, does it support pixel shaders?

I've upgraded just about everything in my PC within the past year, but not specifically for Half-life 2.

I upgraded last summer because I couldn't take my facotry installed 32 MB video card. My computer sucks. It's a dell 1.5 P4, 640 SDRAM, 128 mb Gefoce FX 5200, and a 32W subwoofer =(. I'm building my friends new computer so I'm gonna play all the new games on his cuz I want eye candy dammmit!

I've upgraded just about everything in my PC within the past year, but not specifically for Half-life 2

I agree, the only one thing im specificly buying for the realease of the game will probably be the nv40 (plus I really need it for 3D rendering ;) ). depending on how it all turns out, im saving for whichever card I end up buying,, oo. does anyone have a clue how much the NV40 will cost..?

I'll be upgrading 1 or 2 weeks before release. i hope the new geforce generation will be in a reasonable price range at that time.

well i'm not just upgrading for halflife 2 but i'm planning on upgrading sometime around july from a xp 1800+ geforce 4 ti4400 768 mb ram 200 gb hd

to
amd 64 3800 sckt 939
nv40 or r420 depending on benchmarks
2 512 mb duel channel cas2 pc-3500 corsiar or mushkin
2 36gb raptors in raid 0
120 gb hd for files
i might wait for pc-express not sure though
then a kvm switch so i can use both my computers with 1 monitor/mouse/keyboard

I still have my radeon 9500 pro and a gig of ram. It's running the far cry demos at high detail just fine. By the time HL2 comes out i'll be able to get a Radeon 9800 pro for under $200 if i have to.

I'll not be upgrading becaue i'm broke. However I've still got a good system and it's already 2 years old!!

P4 2.53 Ghz
1024 PC2700
80 Gig HDD
Radeon 9700pro

I'm thinking about buying the 250 gig Western Digital because my current HD is filling up, but i need to scrounge up the money.

This is funny, because summer, around late July to early August, I 'upgraded for HL2' by getting a Sapphire Radeon 9500 with a brand new computer. I bought this thing to run new games, especially HL2. Funny how by the time HL2 actually comes out I might be able to upgrade even further.

Meh...

Sometime in early September '03, I read that Gabe was still Confirming the 30th date. Like the little lacky I was, I believed him. I bought a Radeon9800 Pro for around $300 US. I regret that now because like Etxel90 just said, by the time HL2 hits store shelves it will be down below $200.

I learned my lesson that day. Don't believe it until you see it with your own eyes.

While I don't regret my P4 3.0C ghz HT chip, Sapphire 9800 Pro 256mb, WD 100GB 8mb cache, SB Audigy Gamer-x, 1024mb DDR Kingston Hyper-x, and ABIT IS7, I certainly would have thought twice had I known it would be delayed an entire year. The *only* reason I upgraded was for HL2 and Doom3 releases.

I'll probably get a Radeon 9800 Pro just before HL2 comes out, should be very cheap by then.
The rest of my system is fairly up to date (although my ti4600 is more than enough to run it at high, but I want dx9 effects :)) maybe get some extra RAM, but that's not specifically for HL2.

I am saving £1800 to build my dream machine next JUNE :)

I'm going to try and get my hands on a new system with a PCI-E card around May/June....hopefully.

currently
Athlon 1800xp
512 drr
Geforce 3 ti 200

looking at getting
Athlon 2400 +
Radeon 9800 Pro

i hope that will fill the hl2 requirement

Getting a new p00t for my birthday :) There hasn't been anything to upgrade for over the past 6-12 months has there? Well at least a shitload of people have learnt not to hang on every word a developer says :p

I just buy computers for each generation of game.

I bought a XP1800 GF3ti 500 in December 2001 to play Q3 engine games and other. That system ran Max Payne 2 fine, runs Far Cry demo at acceptable levels. Previously i had a P2 400 Voodoo Banshee to play Q2 games. 486 DX266 to play Doom, doom2 etc.

My next system is aimed at running Hl2, Doom 3 and Stalker. That should last for at least 3 years until the next generation of stuff comes out.

Lol. I could probably squeeze out a few frames on my Dell 400mhz P2. I can still play all the latest 3d intensive games. Everything looks ok but the speed is unbearable. I just finished the Painkiller Demo this morning. I really want to start upgrading for Unreal 2k4 and Battlefield Vietnam but I keep hearing rumors that ati is comming out with something new this spring.

last summer i saved up and bought a good machine, the only not so good part in it was the video card, so like most people here i think ill upgrade to a Radeon 9800 Pro. maybe 6 months after that ill get new memory, then later a new hard drive. who knows from ther. if i stay on top of things that should cover me for a while. oh, i almost forgot, i might get a better sound card and surround sound speakers.

Upgraded last year.

9800pro 128MB
512MB Ram
P4 2.4 (I wish I had the cash to upgrade that)

P4 2.8Ghz (HT, 800Mhz FSB)
512MB Kingston PC-3200
160Gb WD JB Series
nVidia GeForce 4 Ti 4800

Only thing i'll be upgrading is my GFX.!

I have a 2500xp, 512mb RAM and a 9600xt, and if HL2 doesnt run full details on that I'm gonna be pissed. Should do though.

im rollin a prebuilt dell with some extra addatives
2 ghz p4
512 ram
9600 np
80 gig hd
when i graduate high school in a year or so i get to build a computer for 2000$ so come talk to me then about kicken ass in gaming

I upgraded in mid September expecting HL2 to come out at the end of the month...Well, you know the rest.

9800 Pro
2.4 P4 HT
512 3200 Ram
80 Gig HD

Got my new computer about a month back.

XP 2400+
R9600 Pro 256MB
512 MB PC3200 RAM
60GB total HDD

No more crappy celeron 400 for me!

I will most likely be upgrading my GeForce 4/128 4200 to a Radeon 9800 pro 256

Holy shnikeys! I didn't expect that many people to be upgrading for HL2 (even though not everyone is upgrading just for that). I of course, was upgrading just for HL2, and now I don't feel so bad. My processor is the only thing I'm iffy about -- an XP2100+. Think that'll be able to hack it? (hah, hack.. one of the baddies in HL2, get it? oh man...)

WermerSkoch said:
Holy shnikeys! I didn't expect that many people to be upgrading for HL2 (even though not everyone is upgrading just for that). I of course, was upgrading just for HL2, and now I don't feel so bad. My processor is the only thing I'm iffy about -- an XP2100+. Think that'll be able to hack it? (hah, hack.. one of the baddies in HL2, get it? oh man...)

2100+ will be more than enough

I myself upgraded about half a year ago, running an XP 2500+ OCed to 3200+, and a Radeon 9700 OCed to a 9700 pro..

I'm good to go (assuming they didn't up the requirements)

I already did upgrade.... IN FÜCKING JULY........ FÜCK THOSE BASTARDS AT VALVe.... lying sacks of FÜCKING CRAP!

or cyberpowerinc.com. i got a good system through them at a good price. theyre a pretty good company. im suprised at how many people are going for the radion 9800 pro. will it be a very good card for hl2? how about the 256MB version, will that be worth the extra money? i know ill be spending around 150-200 on the card i choose and the 9800 is looking like the one ill buy at this point.

Back