Who Do I Question About a Warning?

In theory I shouldn't have gotten a warning.

Copyrighted Material
Do not upload files that contain software or other material protected by intellectual property laws unless you own or control the rights thereto or have received all necessary consents.

I checked the longer rules that you had before, and it looks like I should've stepped right through a big-ass loophole, but i got a warning anyway... which is WRONG.

The loophole is that it doesn't actually say anywhere in the rules that linking to a torrent site is against the rules. I didn't upload any files "that contain software or other material protected by intellectual property law". I just posted a link to a website.

Also, it looks like you've shortened the rules since the time i got my warning, judging from this page - http://www.halflife2.net/index.php?page=rules, I should still have no warning.

Munro won't reply to emails. Maybe he's busy.

I'm afraid the Copyrighted material warning extends to linking to torrent sites :)

many torrent sites are very usefull and not all are illegal..im interested..what was the link for?

It was a site to get episodes for "Whose Line is it Anyway?" tv show. But it doesn't matter, because the rules don't actually say you can't link to the sites. If I had linked to a .torrent then yes, but not to a site where you can get the torrents.

How can you say it extends to torrent sites, when it doesn't say it in the rules? :/. I emailed Munro to say he should make the rules more clear.

This is what we in the trade like to call "being a smartarse". You know damn well what the rules are saying, but you think you're being clever by using an apparent loophole.

Your intent was to provide other people with the knowledge, information or ability to obtain material that you are not the copyright holder for. Being aware of this, you know full well that the warning is valid. Arguing it strictly within the bounds of what is written is just pedantry of the highest order.

StardogChampion said:
It was a site to get episodes for "Whose Line is it Anyway?" tv show. But it doesn't matter, because the rules don't actually say you can't link to the sites.

But it makes it clear about warez IIRC. and downloading TV shows is still illegal.

Star...you better stop before the mods get ninja like on your ass. :LOL:

Just accept your warning....hell be lucky you wasn't banned.Don't do anything else bad on the site for about a month and the warning will be gone.

Too bad, this board seems really strict. I can't seem to... say... anything.......

I'll try and cut down on my spamming though :D

Tr0n said:
Star...you better stop before the mods get ninja like on your ass. :LOL:

Just accept your warning....hell be lucky you wasn't banned.Don't do anything else bad on the site for about a month and the warning will be gone.
Haha, I'm not bothered. I've been here longer than half the mods anyway, and it's the first thing i've done in 18 months. It's not like it's gonna happen again.

StardogChampion said:
Haha, I'm not bothered. I've been here longer than half the mods anyway

Then you should be ashamed of yourself not knowing the rules when people who've only been here a few months know them :p

Yeah, we n00bs sit in front of our desks studying them for hours
Crap! I've already broken my resolution. But if I say something relevant, it's not spam is it? :p

But I was warned for a post in the Off-Topic section, and you say it wasn't that post, it was posts in general. But the only places I do post are in the Art&Design and the Off-Topic (although I have and am doing, I rarely post anything in this forum, and if I do, I know not to spam beacuse of something that happened on another forum...). But as I post relevant stuff in the Art&Design forum, and the Off-Topic forum is supposed to be off topic, how can you actually say I was spammin?

Druckles said:
Yeah, we n00bs sit in front of our desks studying them for hours
Crap! I've already broken my resolution. But if I say something relevant, it's not spam is it? :p

But I was warned for a post in the Off-Topic section, and you say it wasn't that post, it was posts in general. But the only places I do post are in the Art&Design and the Off-Topic (although I have and am doing, I rarely post anything in this forum, and if I do, I know not to spam beacuse of something that happened on another forum...). But as I post relevant stuff in the Art&Design forum, and the Off-Topic forum is supposed to be off topic, how can you actually say I was spammin?
You need to talk to Crushenator, he was the mod, get him to find the posts he told me of.

I cant be bothered, Ill just wait 40 days for my points to clear, in the meantime Ill sit by watching my life get better and worse on and off.

StardogChampion said:
I checked the longer rules that you had before, and it looks like I should've stepped right through a big-ass loophole, but i got a warning anyway... which is WRONG.

ahh.. you see, thats why the warning system isn't automated.
There are no loopholes. That's because there are humans who notice that you are trying to use a loophole.

But using this loophole, you can actually worm your way out, claiming that it wasn't in the rules or whatever

Druckles said:
But using this loophole, you can actually worm your way out, claiming that it wasn't in the rules or whatever

* Puts on monocle *
There will be no worming here!

Lol, Ill keep my head down and stand the waves. And erm... you suggested an automated system, is that possible?

Druckles said:

Except, as we have proved, you can't.

Not anymore due to the improved system :). But there must be some loophole somewhere :p

You crawl through a loophole, and we'll tighten it around your neck....

Pi Mu Rho said:
You crawl through a loophole, and we'll tighten it around your neck....

...cutting off the blood supply causing you to wriggle around in a comical fashion at munro's feet, while the blood slowly drains out of your head and your eyes become bulging with panicky rage, untill your violent struggle to free yourself from the tightening grip is ended by one click on the "ban" button- which immediately and gruesomely shrinks the loophole to the point of infinity, seperating your head from your limp body and sending a flurry of blood rushing over munro's new shoes. My god, you'll burn in hell for that...

The mods are scarey! :( they spam more then headcrab #205 and try and kill people with loopholes. Save me!

Fat Tony! said:
The mods are scarey! :( they spam more then headcrab #205 and try and kill people with loopholes. Save me!

*laughs patronisingly*

you think you can escape? escape from this hell? my god no, you've only just begun to understand. you can never escape this site. No matter how much you convince yourself to do something creative, you will allways end up back at your seat, watching the flickering screen and typing to random people millions of miles away. My god you people are ignorant of the truth... ignorant of the fact that there is no future... only here... only Halflife2.net. Get used to it, ypu'll be seeing a lot more of us...

*laughs fade into the distance as you are left cold, isolated and alone, staring into the darkness and coming to terms with the insomnia that this site has caused you. *

I don't get it, can other people not see your warnings now? I've seen a few people asking when their warning will go, but I can't see any warnings for them.

StardogChampion said:
I don't get it, can other people not see your warnings now? I've seen a few people asking when their warning will go, but I can't see any warnings for them.
Only mods and above can see everyone's warnings.

Axyon said:
Only mods and above can see everyone's warnings.

I think everyone should see people's warnings ..shame them into behaving properly

CptStern said:
I think everyone should see people's warnings ..shame them into behaving properly

It was originally, but people started to treat them as some sort of odd status symbol (purposefully making spam threads and such just see if they could get their warning levels up), so now they're invisible.

KagePrototype said:
It was originally, but people started to treat them as some sort of odd status symbol (purposefully making spam threads and such just see if they could get their warning levels up), so now they're invisible.
And once they'd got the warnings they wanted to show off, they then complained about it. :p

Ah! That explains it! I wondered why no-one could see my 4 warnings. Which is now kind've a good thing :D

Druckles said:
Ah! That explains it! I wondered why no-one could see my 4 warnings. Which is now kind've a good thing :D
well you seem to want to tell everyone you've got four warnings so in your case it wouldn't matter either way if people could see them or not :p

Druckles said:
Relevant my ass, it's every other post in there

Stop trying to get out of it or you'll get more :p

The Dark Elf said:
well you seem to want to tell everyone you've got four warnings so in your case it wouldn't matter either way if people could see them or not :p
Lol, I wasn't meaning to especially, it's not like everyone visits here, and it's not like anyone reads the whole topic.

And crushenator, it's all relevant :eek:
But I knew you would say that :p

KagePrototype said:

should have given them a month ban and posted about it here ...further shaming the person ...ya But I can see how any measures you take can lead to abuse

Back