Who does Alyx know?

Reaction score
"You and Alyx are leading the flight from the city getting up close and personal with some of the creatures and sights from the end of the game."

This leads me to believe that you're SOMEONE that Alyx knows and talks to.

Eli (daddy)
DOG (Obviously a secret lover)
Gordon
Barney
Kleiner
Mossman

She doesn't/didn't get along with mossman, so I'd be safe to take her out of the list.

Kleiner would be boring to play as because balancing equations would be no fun...

Eli is yet another scientist and they've already got the barbaic scientist that doesn't talk thing goin', so I doubt they'd have another scientist, which is another one against Kleiner, however... Eli IS Alyx's dad and the few quotes I've read about the expansion are to make the gamer get to know and be 'closer' to Alyx, so it's a possibility. Not throwing out Eli.

Barney is her friend, so it may be Barney's 2nd starring in a HL Explansion pack.

Gordon is a possibility.

Alyx does love dog and he does possibly have some sort of interesting AI... So, yet another possibility.

SO, I've narrowed it down to 2 less people. New list is:

Eli,
DOG,
Gordon,
Barney

Let's try to narrow things down a bit more, shall we? And if I left anyone else out, mention others, also...

EDIT - Sorry this is similar to the "Point of Veiw, POV" thread, however I was thinking more on focussing on just who Alyx knows and talks to at the beginning of my post. Hopefully this one may go more 'in-depth'...

I want to play as Dog, but most likely it will be Gordon :( .

It will be gordon, as i said in the other thread:

"You've done critical damage to the Citadel"

Ok thats clearly gordon being referred to as "you"

"You and Alyx are leading the flight"

And in the sentence after, it is the same "you" who you are playing as, with Alyx.

Gordon, which is an ace thing - they built a great relationship between the two in half life 2 - this is a continuation, a built up on the relationship. like the interview says.

My point just sums it up, his is flawed, you could see the relationship building from someone elses POV.

So say MINE was a good point :mad:

You 100% play as gordon, a reporter from PC gamer asked Valve.

You play as Gordon Freeman.

But since Valve confirmed it, yes you play as Gordon. I just hope there will be different povs.

Playing the expansion as Gordon sounds like crap. Expansions should show the events from a different POV. And Gordon was taken away by the GMan! Are they trying to tell us that the GMan took Gordon on his time-train or whereever only to put him back in the same place? I'd much rather play as Barney, another Resistance member or anyone...

Solver said:
Playing the expansion as Gordon sounds like crap. Expansions should show the events from a different POV. And Gordon was taken away by the GMan! Are they trying to tell us that the GMan took Gordon on his time-train or whereever only to put him back in the same place? I'd much rather play as Barney, another Resistance member or anyone...

Don't worry, they will cook up a good explanation ;)

Hopefully yes. Then again, I retain my doubts about our character until we hear more - I just don't trust PC Gamer that much. Their previews have said many things about games that turned out not to be true at all. That applied to Doom3 and its expansion, applied to HL2 as well, and will as probably apply to Aftermath, too.

Solver said:
this is what i thought, unless he puts you outside the citadel, or he put you in stasis so he could contain the explosion.

D.L said:
this is what i thought, unless he puts you outside the citadel, or he put you in stasis so he could contain the explosion.

It would work very well, except the GMan's speech. He basically said he'll get to you again when he needs you - "I'll take the liberty of choosing if, and when, your time comes again" or something like that. That doesn't really go together with him putting you back 5 minutes later. "Sorry, Dr. Freeman, our game sold so well that I need your services again right now".

Was hoping to play as someone else.

Solver said:
"Sorry, Dr. Freeman, our game sold so well that I need your services again right now".

GMan cuts the foreplay this time around. :) Gotta love it.

The makers of half-life 2 know whats best, I mean cmon, look at hl2! Valve would definitely know if they were screwing this up. Not a single person on this thread could ever cook up a plot as creative as half-life for a video game.

Laidlaw is a good reader, just it seems like they had something going.

Gordon gives the resistance a hand.
GMan takes Gordon out of the picture and the resistance has to rely on themselves to get the job done. Gordon is kind of like the jumper cables or the jumpbox. You can't keep the jumpbox on forever.

Solver said:
It would work very well, except the GMan's speech. He basically said he'll get to you again when he needs you - "I'll take the liberty of choosing if, and when, your time comes again" or something like that. That doesn't really go together with him putting you back 5 minutes later. "Sorry, Dr. Freeman, our game sold so well that I need your services again right now".
or "sorry theres been a bit of a cock up erm... heres your guns and your um.. suit, i promise it won't happen again... unless this game sells aswell"

no, no. What Gman would say is:

"Mr Freeman... your... fan club has... given me a black eye... we need you out there... before they... trasssssh the sssstage...."

You couldn't play as Eli, he has an artficial leg which makes a loud sound when he walks, the enemy would hear you coming.

Nephtis said:
You couldn't play as Eli, he has an artficial leg which makes a loud sound when he walks, the enemy would hear you coming.

Also you wouldn't be able to walk more than 4 paces without the Combine using that magnetic crane on you.

EDIT: Ooops, sorry to ressurect (sp?) such an old thread.

W4E said:
"You've done critical damage to the Citadel"

Ok thats clearly gordon being referred to as "you"

No, "you" refers to the player. Your point fails :smoking:.

It could be..... but things change, You've done critical damage to the Citadel, as said before, that could be anyone who helped, even the citizens helped, and without DOG, Gordon would have probably not been able to get to the Citadel.... You could be anyone, and Valve usually doesn't give us easy info, especially off the bat
EDIT:Changed some words, made no sense

Solver said:

My thoughts exactly...they could have thought up a better setting for the expansion than this. At least the idea of playing as Alyx before Gordon arrived fitted in with the story, even if I hated the idea of being Alyx. This just seems so clumsy and obviously tacked on. Like an ending patch for those who didn't get it.

It takes away all the ambiguity from what was a cool ending concept. And craps on all the HL3 speculation.

Back