Who thinks that Counter-Strike 2 will be entirely a seperate product from HL2?

Counter-Strike 2...where is going to show its head?

• It will be shipped or provided free later with HL2.

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Seperate product entirely, cah-ching!

Votes: 50 54.9%
  • Will merge with Condition Zero and released in 2005!

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Who cares!

Votes: 20 22.0%

• Total voters

Zyphria

Reaction score
Doesn't seem far-fetched when you consider the ready and willing audience who want the next-best-thing, with the Counter-Strike name and feel. People would gladly pay more than $30 a copy, if not $40 as a polished product with a future for nearly unlimited number of modifications to provide more maps, weapons, etc. Throw in a few solid bots and who needs single-player?

Team Fortress 2, however, I believe may be bundled, or added as a bonus pack after the release. The fan base has faded somewhat, and it would fit well as an addition to boost sales of HL2. Classic DM will certainly be in there as well.

Also, capitalism would dictate this as the most profitible course of action, or course, not everyone is driven by cashflow...but HL2 would have been released far sooner with a far less impressive engine if not for the flexibility provided by the income that continued to flow in. So more money = more freedom to dictate your actions to the publishers, so we'll just have to see.

Maybe they will have a special offer for those who already purchased HL2, but i really think you have to pay for it.

After all, its a completely different game.

I beg to differ tbh, there is no way they would spend this much time on CS2 (its been in development for a while now) and release it with HL2. Similarly with TF2, whether or not the fan base has dwindled, which i shouldn't of thought so, its still going to be marketed for what it is and will quite happily sell as a full retail game on the source engine. I really would doubt either will ship with HL

It'd be stupid of Sierra/Valve/Activision to lend their technical support/money to the CS team and not have it properly published as a stand alone game. If TF2 is retail, then CS2 will be, no doubt about it. Welcome to the new age of modding :p

It'd kind of be a shame if CS2 was retail only. sounds pretty possible, though... And all this thing about TF2 bundled with HL2 sounds a bit like wishful thinking to me.

Mihn Lee, or however you spell his name has been working internally with Valve for along time making CS2, it ain't gonna be a mod.
He is a Valve employee.

it probably gonna be an add on ala cs retail now. It would be good if it was shipped with hl though, i'd be so pleased lol.

Given that they are only now working on CS1.6, I highly doubt that CS2 will be ready for release w/ HL2.

Apos is right, unless they have created a whole new team for making CS2 I doubt that it will be released with HL2.

i would be VERY pissed if CS2 isnt realeased freely over the internet for those who allready have HL2. that would really bing my support in valve down.

Originally posted by |CC|Hudson
i would be VERY pissed if CS2 isnt realeased freely over the internet for those who allready have HL2. that would really bing my support in valve down.

Why? CS is the most populat multiplayer game in the world, I think they deserve to make a profit from it. CS1 was a mod, CS2 is not. Get over it.

question has been answered already by valve..tf2 and cs2 are standalone games

I think they will make it like it is now, free to those who own HL2, and have a stand alone version. Like they do with CS, and DoD.

TF2 will be seprate Retail/Steam only.
CS will be a seperate Free/Retail (as it is now)

this is what i think will happen and i dare anyone to think otherwise.... why would things change just because CS2 is on a new engine.... it will still be the same game (hopefully) just with better physics and maybe some cool new game possibilities.

Kam

Anyone who makes a mod does it with hopes of becoming a "real" game developer one day. Why on earth would Mihn Lee give away what he has been working to accomplish. I am not sure of the exact nature of his current relationship with Valve, but afaik he is not employed by them directly. He makes his money from royaltees. He is likely to spend a good chunk of his life updating and bug fixing CS, and you expect him to do it for free. CS2 is not a mod.

I think it's highly likely that a simplified version will be released as a free download for HL2 owners, while an advanced version will be available retail. This such as certain maps, maybe a mode or two, graphics update, and of course the single player campaign would be removed - but you could still play with retail owners. More or less what they're doing with CZ now.

Honestly, I think there are gonna be a lot of HL2 mods out so I don't see the importance of paying money for what is little more than another mod. Sure it will be more proffesional and made by the Valve team, but I'm sure there will be a lot of great mods out too, not to mention the numerous CS/TF clones that will pop up.

They will most likely do with cs2 what they did with cs, only that this time they will be on for the ride from the beginning, in that they will have a public beta for cs2 that will run for a while until most major bugs are ironed out, and later a retail version will be released that will add content or bandwidth only for paying customers. It's proven to work with CS and will work even better with CS2 since it will be supported by valve from day 1.

Most of the appeal of CS comes from its infinite replayability. It's the gameplay that makes hundreds of thousands of people frag blocky player models amongst blocky surroundings. Creating such gameplay takes an amount of testing that is not available at most companies' disposal.

Even when CS came out it was quite crappy. I've been playing it since beta 2 and the first few versions of the game had some very serious issues with both game code and maps, models. The only reason I ever started playing it was that I was sick of hl deathmatch and all the other mods at the time were even worse.

Now, of course, all Valve has to do is release a public CS beta and they will have thousands of free testers. Then they can release a highly polished retail version later and even more people will buy it.

Also, this way it makes valve make look good cause they're letting people play their game for free but at the same time they will make sure to make their money off it. I bet there will be a version of steam coming out at a later time that will give people access to high bandwidth servers for monthly charge.

pple are dreaming if they think CS2 won't be/go retail at some point.. i can't remember where i read it, but i did read that CS2 would be retail only.. if i find the link, i will surely post it here..

like a few pple have said.. the developers of CS/CS2 at some point want to be paid for their hard work like like anyone else on this forum would like to be paid for their hard work.. and Valve is not a "non-profit" organization that is just gonna lend their tech support staff for free to the CS team.

for some reason, i think the same will apply to DoD2... besides these 2 mods, the other ones will more than likely be free considering their popularity compared to CS/DoD

Valve have announced TF2 being retail, nothing has been said on the CS2 front, it's being kept under wraps. Wonder what CS2 will look like on source? *orgasm*

Speaking of Counter-Strike.....

A while back, I had to write a sonnet for class. I couldn't think of anything else to write a sonnet about, so I wrote one about Counter-Strike.... here it is....

So true to life this game can be percieved,
Where many try to show off all their skills.
The players of this game, they will recieve
recognition of those that they can kill.

They hunt you down like a wolf hunts its prey.
They'll swarm you like a bee and all its hive.
While you try hard to keep them all away,
It's doubtful that you will escape alive

Your bitter life flashes before your eyes.
As barrels loose those deadly flies of lead.
They aim to force your ghost into the skies,
And then you die as bullets strike your head.

The round is lost and you'll return to fight,
To live and die and play this game all night.

The above was written according to the english style of sonnet(as opposed to the italian sonnet). It was written in Iambic pentameter. Its about being the last person left alive on your team until your are cornered and killed and are brought back to play another round.

The CS team liscenced the source engine from the begining for CS2. This is not cheap. The fact that they paid for the liscence means you pay for the game. Dont kid yourselves, and dont be dissapointed when you dont get it for free.

And please, stop reffering to CS2 and DoD2 as MODS! They are NOT mods! They are stand alone games built on a fully liscenced engine. there is a HUGE difference...a difference that they pay for, a difference that you pay for.

No matter what, I only play mods that are free, today many mods out there are as good as / even better than cs but they are just not as reputed. Actually many modders are planning to develop mods on hl2, I think those mods will remain free, cuz they are not reputed and people won't purchase them when they are released for the first time. If cs2 is not going to have free mod, I won't play it. In addition, hl has advantage over other games because its many multiplay styles (its mods) are free and very playable. If hl2 comes with hl2 multiplay style only and the mods must be purchased, then people will think twice before buying it and I will go back to the hl1 community instead.

The line between mods and full games is one that only Valve/Sierra has been willing to cross, while other game publishers have been so stingey with their SDK ensuring little future for their games. Who would have thought one of thse most successful games of all time (by the number of active players) would be free to many people and $20 for everyone else.

I'm quite surprised that TF2 would be a retail product...but I guess that means that it will be a solid product from the get go, or have a reduced price.

Originally posted by gamevoodoo
No matter what, I only play mods that are free, today many mods out there are as good as / even better than cs but they are just not as reputed. Actually many modders are planning to develop mods on hl2, I think those mods will remain free, cuz they are not reputed and people won't purchase them when they are released for the first time. If cs2 is not going to have free mod, I won't play it. In addition, hl has advantage over other games because its many multiplay styles (its mods) are free and very playable. If hl2 comes with hl2 multiplay style only and the mods must be purchased, then people will think twice before buying it and I will go back to the hl1 community instead.

You are missing the entire point, wich is....
COUNTER STRIKE 2 IS NOT A MOD!!!!!
You will NOT have to PAY for MODS! MODS will remain FREE!
but I repeat...COUNTER STRIKE 2 IS NOT A MOD!!!!!
The engine liscence is being paid for, somehting that costs tens of thousands, if not over a hundred thousand to do.

Why are people so confused on this issue...look, CS was available for free ALREADY when it went retail. CS 1.4 (or wichever went retail) could have easily been discontinued as a free mod. That was a business descision made to benifit you as a player. CS2 will never run into similar circumstances because it is NOT being developed as a mod.

How an we really expect Valve to survive when we expect them to develope games and give them away? If its free, I will apologize and take my foot out of my mouth, but IMO you all expect way to much from a company that already gives to much.

Originally posted by Zyphria
The line between mods and full games is one that only Valve/Sierra has been willing to cross, while other game publishers have been so stingey with their SDK ensuring little future for their games. Who would have thought one of thse most successful games of all time (by the number of active players) would be free to many people and $20 for everyone else.

I'm quite surprised that TF2 would be a retail product...but I guess that means that it will be a solid product from the get go, or have a reduced price.

The only worthwhile mod platforms for FPS are Unreal, Quake and Half Life, all of wich have a good number of mods, all of wich provide a decent (albiet not as complete as HL) SDK, and community support. The only reason Valve has been able to cross that line is Counter Strike. If Other companies saw a mod with so many DLs and active players built on thier own platform...you bet your ass they woulda jumped on it, just like Valve did.

Oh yeah, so no more cs2, I will just buy hl2 and the videocard and keep on playing free mods, I will keep the rest of my budget for something else.
Why is hl1 so great? cuz of free cs and free mods. cs2 won't be as great as cs1 due to the reason stated by Parasite, if valve take this as their marketing strategy.

Even they give cs2 free, Parasite, u don't have to apologize, cuz we are free to express our opinion here in a forum as long as we don't hurt each other.

As a poor gamer, I don't expect that games cost me too much, but thing usually goes beyond my expectation.

Back