Who wants to see Gordon's legs in HL2?

Do you want to have real legs in your favourite FPS?

• Total voters
I'd rather not.

Reflection would be neat though...however not required.

Maskirovka said:
and tinneth's avatar is the eye of sauron...if you haven't seen lord of the rings, go see it...and if you have seen it, you must not have been paying attention...and tinneth...you should get an animated version of that :p

I would get one if I could find one... :frown:

hellblaze mod is prolly gonna do the you can see your whole body thing, and the main characters a girl, girls have boobs! :D

I wanna paint Gordon's toenails pink, and put stockings on his legs.. RAWR

of course the majority prefers no seeable legs... because HL2 has no seeable legs.

personally i like being able to see body-parts and/or reflections of the player.. how does not being able to see your own reflection/shadow/legs add to the "immersion" of te game? if anything, it makes me realize 'oh, no legs... must be a game'

Personally, I would hate to have legs in a game. They'd just get in the way. Shooting down on someone is one of the better strategies out there, if you can pull it off, and having legs is just going to be annoying. I'd rather be able to see in all directions than to have useless legs.

The majority of games out there don't let you see your body, and most people aren't complaining. Yes, I know about tribes and that stupid jurassic park game. Are there any others?

I could give 2 S*I*TS less if i see legs or not. :smoking:

I think what some people dont realise here, if youve played thief III. is that seeing your body for some reason makes you feel your actually playing this character, and takes you out of being with the game a little , making you feel like your just another player , playing as him. but the way valve have done it seems to achieve that .. cool, I know what Gordon looks like. but it actually could be me playing this game ... effect. Valve are clever :). and they know that it probably would hurt their game when it comes to attracting all the FPS type players , by making a realisation of it actually being you playing rather than some character that you can see by looking down.

Riddick also allows you to see your legs.. of course, you're basically Vin Diesel in that game anyways, so it doesn't matter. A game that really takes advantage of immersion is Breakdown. That game has so much atmosphere, but the controls are very iffy. That game could have been better with a few tweaks.

Dougy said:
What does seeing your own legs add to the game?

Nothing.

case closed.

what does not seeing your own legs do?

What does not seeing your gun do?

What does not seeing your own arm holding your gun do?

Come to think of it. I doubt "allow players to see gordon's legs" is included in the list of task for HL1 or HL2 (remember Valve said they had some stuff they left out in HL1 to be worked in HL2?), as oppose to the fact that they left that out in HL1 because of it's technical complexity to pull it off well.
Considering that HL1's gordon came without legs, wouldn't it be non-halflifeish to see your legs in HL2?

\\-shanE said:
Come to think of it. I doubt "allow players to see gordon's legs" is included in the list of task for HL1 or HL2 (remember Valve said they had some stuff they left out in HL1 to be worked in HL2?), as oppose to the fact that they left that out in HL1 because of it's technical complexity to pull it off well.
Considering that HL1's gordon came without legs, wouldn't it be non-halflifeish to see your legs in HL2?

i agree but the way you're arguing would suggest hl1 came without havoc engine shouldn't hl2?

jonnyapps said:
i agree but the way you're arguing would suggest hl1 came without havoc engine shouldn't hl2?

The physics in HL2 is definitely a change for the better. But legs in HL2? Does adding legs in the first person view of an FPS game make it the game of the year?

What I'm saying is that Valve most probably did not even consider adding the legs in the first place, while physics was very likely planned to be included in HL1, if not, HL2.

No legs.

First , they will have to spend time on all the animations.

Second , enemies that are close to you , like headcrabs they will have to make them on top of the leg , avoid clipping and if you walk on them they will have to spend more time and hard work om something that wears off after a minute.

Third , what about shooting? If you look down and there is a headcrab near / on top of your leg , then they will have to work on pixel hot boxes , so you won't shoot your leg , and if you shoot it , will you not be hurt? causing the world to less believable , or it will hurt you - making you angry like hell when you kill yourself couple of times trying to shoot a headcrab near your leg : "WTF , Valve sucks! shooting my leg , how stupid is that yada yada yada". :hmph:

No legs.
:D

I would really much rather see Gordon's hands on the steering wheels. It wouldn't be too difficult to program them in, as they are only interacting with one thing.

i hope someone mods this because i would love to see the rest of gordon besides his hands

because as we all know "being gordon" and "having craploads of immersion" translates directly into only have a floating pair of hands holding a gun...pffft

I don't want to have gordon's legs in view. Sure it looked like you were hovering in hl1, but thats just the way it needs to be, as it is in most fps games. I mean, all it would be is a distraction. I mean, a baseball player doesn't hit one off the left center wall, as he is running around the diamond go "wee look at my legs fly!" There is so much else that is goign to be in the hl2 world for you to look at. If you are really want to be "in the character" you don't care about what your own body looks like, as you wouldn't yourself in your day to day life. I just fee like if there were a focus on seeing yourself move, it would be more like I'm just watching the view of someone holding a video camera.

yeah but the reason some people want legs is not to stare at them but to know "hey my character is more than a camera with hands floating 6 feet off the ground"

But, you ARE the character ;)
So you have to look at your own feet, or doesn't you like them?

i think it would be funny as hell to be able to shoot yourself in the foot. :D

If they drew feet/legs then when I look down am I just looking down with my head or am I leaning over? It would be drawn different depending on which way.
That also leads to the issue of "Do my feet get in the way". Not just shooting my feet but also being able to see more or less. (Same with arms).
Animation could be a pain and I don't think it would add anything infact it would detract.
Also there is the immersion factor.
No legs please.

Rocketman9mm said:
I don't want to have gordon's legs in view. Sure it looked like you were hovering in hl1, but thats just the way it needs to be, as it is in most fps games. I mean, all it would be is a distraction. I mean, a baseball player doesn't hit one off the left center wall, as he is running around the diamond go "wee look at my legs fly!" There is so much else that is goign to be in the hl2 world for you to look at. If you are really want to be "in the character" you don't care about what your own body looks like, as you wouldn't yourself in your day to day life. I just fee like if there were a focus on seeing yourself move, it would be more like I'm just watching the view of someone holding a video camera.

Ah, but if his legs werent there he'd be pretty annoyed :)

I am so fat I can't even see my legs while standing in the real world, so I don't mind if I don't see them in HL2. Harr!

I think not being able to see Gordon's legs is more of a gameplay-type choice than an art direction-type choice. So in other words, its a very complex question.

It's realistic, but it would be very hard to pick up something from the floor beneath your nose, if your legs are in the way...

in will rock you can see the guy's legs.. looks pretty cool! and heck i just wanna see alyx's ass :cheers: :bounce:

Where did the misconception come from that said that games are trying to be exactly like real life? Reality shows like Survivor that said that boring, 'real life' is more interesting than authored effects? TV shows/Movies use (predetermined) lighting, (predetermined) photography, dramatic (fake) dialogue, (imagined) plot etc. to draw the viewer in. They realized that you have to alter reality a bit to get a desired effect. I don't see why this can't be applied to video games.
Obviously I don't want to see/hear Gordon while I play the game.

if you want to see yourself, put thirdperson on, its in HL1, im sure it'll be in Hl2... its probably crap, but u get to see gordons ponytail :D

Shooting at your legs would be fun, but it really doesn't matter too much.

I think that legs would be good, think of all the times you had to guess about how close you were to falling off a platform so you could get right to the edge to make that jump over a gap, its soo anoying to have to set the jump up like 4 times.

Does anyone read my posts here?

I gave 3 reasons why showing the legs is a bad idea and no-one replied to them or countered them.

In the end it comes to : very hard work and decisions for a useless feature that you'll stop noticing after a couple of minutes , unless it's implanted badly or buggy and you will start bitching about that ( as I mentioned in my first post on this topic).

Back