Who wants to see Gordon's legs in HL2?

Do you want to have real legs in your favourite FPS?

• Total voters
It would be cool to look down and see legs, but they'd just get in the way. If HL2 multiplayer is the same as HL1 but in Source that means that there'll be HL2DM. And seeing legs when you look down would be really distracting. And how would the legs be animated in midair if you jump from a height? And when you land? It's a nice idea but not practical.

Anyway, in real life your legs don't get in the way when you look down, and if you need to shoot down in real life you can lean forwards or whatever. We don't have that kind of flexibility in games (yet?)

Surely you could mod it by sticking the camera in the head of the Third Person model?

That'd be the same system that Operation Flashpoint has and that works very well. Although what would be even cooler is seeing yourself get blown up a fly through the air while being able to see your legs flailing in the air. That'd be cool!

Thief 3 is an fps and does leg/cody animations really well, adds to the game in my opinion and looks cooler.

if the legs were in the player would realise those twiggy nerdy hev clad legs wernt theirs, and also realise that what they were playing was just a game, then run outside and play with some real people.

Jesus Christ guys youve had a 6 page discussion on whether you want to see Gordons legs or not.......

Am I the only person here who finds this lame and pointless?

Oh by the way, do you want to see Gordons hair?

G-Freeman said:
Jesus Christ guys youve had a 6 page discussion on whether you want to see Gordons legs or not.......

Am I the only person here who finds this lame and pointless?

Oh by the way, do you want to see Gordons hair?

Depends on what hair you mean :naughty:

I'd rather not see them.

*shudder*

Tresspasser comes to mind...

Legs add more depth and immersion to games. So do hands and interactions with objects in the game worl.

They are just hard to do.

at least there should be a player shadow... or reflections...

I don't think there should be legs or mirror reflections personally, as it would sort of take away from the immersiveness that you are Gordon Freemen. They pulled it off well in the latest installment of Thief however, but if done wrong it can be a minor catastrophe.

wonkers said:
Legs add more depth and immersion to games. So do hands and interactions with objects in the game worl.

They are just hard to do.

I think that's what it comes down to. HL could have all sorts of 'more realistic' things, but they'd be difficult and time-consuming to implement, and for no major benefit.

Everyone want HL2 to be released ASAP, but they also want a whole lot of unimportant technical additions.

Notice how when you look forwards you can still see your nose...yet theres not going to be a nose in HL2..how can gordon smell?! it's insanity I tell you!

The legs are useless, agony to program (i would presume) and don't help the game. Plus just the legs would be weird you would have to see all of you...

It's an unnecessaryaddition.

I can't see my nose if I just look straight forward..

Legs would just be a nusance to the programmers. Probably about 1 in 4 people would actually notice them and of the people that did notice them probably 1 in 4 people would care.

could live without legs, but would be nice to have em in... i'd prefer to see my hands when i open doors, press buttons or pull levers etc, but i guess thats a real pain to program...

it shouldn't be that hard.

like it was said before, animate the body like you would for a 3rd person game, and put the camera in the head.

it makes perfect sense

anyway seeing legs helps to ground you into the idea of "hey i'm not a free floating set of hands and a camera set at a predetermined height"

most of the people here would not give a rats ass about legs because they are used to not having to see them in games, however as someone who hates inconsistancies, i would love to see my own legs, not to stare at them in the middle of a firefight... but to know they are there

for example when i am running in real life and i look down i see my hands pumping, my chest, and my legs. In most games if i am running all i get is faster movement and possibly stamina drain. There is nothing shown to the player to help indidcate your character is going as fast as he can.

Imagine if in the first halflife you could see your body, now imagine the garage garg chase sequence. Imagine seeing gordon's arms pumping and legs moving as he ran his ass off. It would have improved that sequence by 4x

After playing Thief 3 through I dont want to see my body, it gets in the way.

Lobster said:
no, player animations always look shit.

Yeah I dont really see how they could animate climbing stairs, climbing on boxes, or just walking on uneven terrain in any acceptable manner. Hell its hard enough to get that right in 3rd person.

Back