Will it take off?

• Yes!

Votes: 36 57.1%
  • No!

Votes: 27 42.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
God damnit. Now you're just being stupid. Heres a flow chart. If you still dont get it, then you're hopeless.

1201729237002.jpg

ok then, so lets get rid of the wheels on a plane and see what happens when it tries to lift off.

planes with pontoons take off on water, planes with skies take off on snow/ice, and neither of those planes have wheels.

Why? you just said the wheels have nothing to do with it, didn't you? The wheels allow the thing to accelerate, otherwise the only alternatives would be to lubricate the bottom to let it slide (lol?) which would require more thrust, or to just start with the plane falling in the sky, but then how would you board it?

EDIT: if it doesn't fly you owe me a blowjob.

Why? you just said the wheels have nothing to do with it, didn't you? The wheels allow the thing to accelerate, otherwise the only alternatives would be to lubricate the bottom to let it slide (lol?) which would require more thrust, or to just start with the plane falling in the sky, but then how would you board it?

EDIT: if it doesn't fly you owe me a blowjob.

FALSE ABSOLUTELY FALSE!

The wheels only facilitate the acceleration. The propeller/jet/turbine engine is what allows the thing to accelerate. It will still accelerate without wheels, it will just take structural damage in doing so.

So let me get this straight once and for all...

Will the plane take off and has the result been scientifically proven?

Okay, this problem is still being misunderstood.

The plane isn't going to be standing still with the conveyor belt sliding under it. A plane's engine is much more powerful than the pull of the conveyor, meaning that it can easily keep the plane still and then it can even make the plane travel forward against the conveyor, achieve take-off speed, and take off.

So let me get this straight once and for all...

Will the plane take off and has the result been scientifically proven?

Scientifically, mathematically and logically. And in a couple hours, it will also be proven in a practical fashion.

LOL lame-o......

if it were a car then your theory would be true, but what your still not getting is the wheels dont propel the plane; all they do is spin. it will not slow the plane down enough for it to be stationary.

lol at lame-o. This problem, this riddle, was INVENTED because of that little trick that people forget that planes move because of their engines, not the wheels. It trips up people all the time, including you. Don't feel bad.

You know what I don't understand though?

The whole paradox that if it were a car, what the **** happens when you hit the gas? It couldn't possibly sit still, because if it was, the treadmill would not be allowed to move. (the treadmill has to match the speed of the car) So, then, wouldn't the car move forward?

Someone halp with this one.

Wat? The treadmill would accelerate the same amount and at the same time, and thus the car wouldnt move in world space.

But if the car never moved in world space, the treadmill wouldn't be allowed to move either, because it has to match the speed (zero) of the car!!

i lost it at page 2 so now i'm just waiting for funny pictures

But if the car never moved in world space, the treadmill wouldn't be allowed to move either, because it has to match the speed (zero) of the car!!

it would be rolling on top of the treadmill. treadmill in reverse and tires forward at the same speed as the treadmill. whats so hard to understand?

hahaha, I think lame-o must be KngHenry or just very stupid.

But if the car has no real world speed, the treadmill can't move. The treadmill is supposed to match the car's real world speed, just like it does with the plane's realworld speed. Not just what the speedometer in the car says.

What I mean is, the treadmill in the plane problem is matching the plane's realworld speed. So I'm saying the same rules for the car. Not the car's speedometer. Not the car's wheel's rpm. Not anything else, but the real world speed.

Krynn and I concluded that it would be a paradox, an impossible thing to do. The slight delay in electronics if we were to replicate this experiment in real life would be the downfall of the paradox.

Yeah, if the treadmill was set at a certain speed that matched the car, and then you hit the gas, you would just start to move forward slowly.

You would have to be constantly accellerating to beat the delay of electronics that exists in our world.

wow this discussion is getting to serious. o well beats a halo discussion anyday(some of you know)

wow this discussion is getting to serious. o well beats a halo discussion anyday(some of you know)

HAY SHUT UP, HALO IS THE BESTS GAEM EVRE!

(Yeah, I couldn't resist, I'm sorry...Not really.)

Car on a treadmill is a paradox because you can't build a functioning test without one more variable, the treadmill has to account for the indicated speed of the vehicle. If not, it will not function, the conveyor will fail, and the car will drive off.
Design the conveyor to not only match the acceleration of the car, but to compensate for the torque being applied to it's surface and it will be stable.

I can tell you for sure that the plane did take off on Mythbusters. They already stated that the pilot was wrong, and I just watched a clip of the pilot saying he thought it wouldn't work... so looks like lame-o will be giving out BJs and Stigmata has some pictures to post.

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/01/28/mythbusters-tackles.html
Did the plane take off? You'll have to wait until Wednesday to find out, but Adam said even the pilot guessed wrong.
1:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSBFQOfas60

Problem solved, you don't have to waste an hour of your life watching Mythbusters

Haha... watching Mythbusters is less a waste of my time than being in here. :D

if you watched mythbusters then you know it took off. so this discussion is now concluded for those who disagreed with everyone else.

if you watched mythbusters then you know it took off. so this discussion is now concluded for those who disagreed with everyone else.

There is still the matter of a blowjob and the words "I don't understand physics" written over somebody's forehead

It won't take off.

If it does take off, I'm going to write "I DO NOT UNDERSTAND PHYSICS" in giant black permanent marker on my forehead.

Seriously.

[edit] Pics will be taken.

Lol. They kinda messed it up... the plane was supposed to remain stationary and it actually moved pretty fast if you looked at the pylons.

Ah, this old chestnut. The whole thing is sort of counter-intuitive until you get to the 'rollerblades' explanation. I think it took that and/or Veggie's flash to get it through my head.

Moderation will enforce the giving of blowjobs.

Lol. They kinda messed it up... the plane was supposed to remain stationary and it actually moved pretty fast if you looked at the pylons.

Nowhere did it state that the plane should remain stationary. I am sure you imagined that the plane should remain stationary, but that is why you were wrong.

uadsfvhjjzkldjvhbsafiyodzXUOFZvjaskfnkvhslg;FSipvl

Thats all I could come up with when I was thinking of what to respond to this.

...why was the plane supposed to remain stationary???

Moderation will enforce the giving of blowjobs.

I took him up on the deal, when do I get my blowjob?! I demand satisfaction! Fast, painful, uncomfortable satisfaction...

lame-o, write 300 words detailing an explicit imaginary sexual situation in which you fellate xcellerate, or it's a one week ban.

lame-o, write 300 words detailing an explicit imaginary sexual situation in which you fellate xcellerate, or it's a one week ban.

Same goes for Stigmata and the forehead writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back