Will it take off?

• Yes!

Votes: 36 57.1%
  • No!

Votes: 27 42.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What? What is this? Simple Physics people....easy stuff. If the treadmill is running at a fast speed the model aircraft will need to use the throttle to keep up with the treadmill, hence, the plane will not take off because it needs air to be moving under the wings. If you want me to go into more detail I could go into way more detail, but it's so easy.

No, you're wrong.

The propulsion of the plane is pretty much independent of the wheels. It's done through an engine and drags or pushes the plane forward.

The wheels that are touching the treadmill are designed to reduce friction between the plane and the surface. That is, they will spin freely.

When the treadmill tries to drag the plane backwards, and the plane tries to drag itself forward, the treadmill will only succeed in spinning the wheels faster.

It's the rollerblades example. If you're on a treadmill wearing shoes, and try to drag yourself forward, the friction between your shoe/treadmill will make sure you are dragged backwards. But if you're wearing rollerblades, the wheels will spin, allowing you to stay in one place as long as you're holding onto something. If you then pull yourself forward with your arms - a force independent of the treadmill, like the engines of a plane - you'll still be able to go forward. Only, your wheels will be spinning faster.

We need Veggie's flash.

What? What is this? Simple Physics people....easy stuff. If the treadmill is running at a fast speed the model aircraft will need to use the throttle to keep up with the treadmill, hence, the plane will not take off because it needs air to be moving under the wings. If you want me to go into more detail I could go into way more detail, but it's so easy.

Yes, pseudo science is easy, isn't it?

lol at people who still dont get it; especially since its been explained many times and heck even mythbusters did it.

LMAO, this thread is a funny read. GG explaing it without losing your sanity, guys.
Read through the thread before posting, pal.

First let me say this whole riddle is bullshit. It strictly said that the plane had to stay in the EXACT same position ON the conveyor the whole time during take-off, and I didn't even bother wondering if that was possible. And it isn't, the only way that would work is if the plane isn't actually touching the conveyor (so basically flying already).

So yes, it will lift off. If the conveyor is moving the plane will stand still (with the wheels rolling) even with the engine completely off, and so when given thrust from the engines which are completely independent of the conveyor, the plane will actually be able to advance on the conveyor and lift off normally.

Simple, not for people who trust the questioner.

ITT: everyone is right, but half of them don't know what the debate is about and are arguing for or against a completely separate experiment.

First let me say this whole riddle is bullshit. It strictly said that the plane had to stay in the EXACT same position ON the conveyor the whole time during take-off, and I didn't even bother wondering if that was possible. And it isn't, the only way that would work is if the plane isn't actually touching the conveyor (so basically flying already).

So yes, it will lift off. If the conveyor is moving the plane will stand still (with the wheels rolling) even with the engine completely off, and so when given thrust from the engines which are completely independent of the conveyor, the plane will actually be able to advance on the conveyor and lift off normally.

Simple, not for people who trust the questioner.

Grow up.
Do not pass this off on people mis understanding the question. You were WRONG, plain and simple. Get over with it.

No, the plane could not move with the engine completly off. Don't even try to tell me your're that clueless.

Go away, troll, we don't want you here.

Come on Stig/lame-o, there's no need to be bitter by insisting the question was dishonest or somehow misrepresentative.

lame-o said:
It strictly said that the plane had to stay in the EXACT same position ON the conveyor the whole time during take-off
Nobody claims this! The question is straightforward.

"A plane is standing on a runway that can move (some sort of band conveyer). The plane moves in one direction, while the conveyer moves in the opposite direction. This conveyer has a control system that tracks the plane speed and tunes the speed of the conveyer to be exactly the same (but in the opposite direction). Can the plane take off?"

It is only your own preconceptions that will lead you to misunderstand it. You're not being decieved or lied to. You're just being mistaken, and you're not the only ones who do so. Just about everybody insists that thep lane won't take off for the longest time, and then they feel ridiculous once they realise how it actually works.

You're a fag Llama.

Anyways, fine I was making all that up just so I wouldn't look stupid. I know the real answer is actually really simple, and I can't help but wonder why there are actual pilots, engineers, etc, who still think it wouldn't fly?

SULK-EDIT: That's one twattish edit you have there.

What the **** is wrong with Llama? You're the ****ing troll asshole.

How dare you. You crawl out of nothing, shouting your mouth off, and now that you've been proved wrong you insult me because I called you out on the bullshit you were spewing?
Since I don't want to ruin this thread, if you disagree with me take it to PM.

The fact that everyone else understands the concept, knows exactly WHY it will take off, and have now shown it physically should be enough. But no, please carry on. I really do pity you.

And don't blame the forums. Grow up, seriously.

Please, if you have any arguments then post them. The fact you're resorting to child comebacks indicated you haven't got the capacity to actually put forward an argument. Don't waste my time, you're making yourself look silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back