Why can we not delete our own posts?

Xendance

Tank
Reaction score
I post things, then I think it was pretty retarded, so I wanted to delete it. The only thing I can do is edit the post and tell people to ignore it, but I'd rather delete it.

Can we expect this, or can we expect a big fat no by Pi?

I can't remember because I've had the moderator controls for forever now, but I'm pretty sure if you edit in Advanced mode, you can delete the post via a seperate form above it.

Someone could make a highly inflammatory post, seen by lots of people, and then delete it.

You can delete your own posts, but only for a few minutes after you've posted it. The time limit is there to stop people doing as PiMuRho says.

I?ve been able to delete my own posts since I became a staff writer HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

EDIT: To delete your post, you click the ?edit? button and then click delete. Or at least, that?s how it works for me.

TEST OH SHIT I PRESSED THE post button.

edit: I don't see it anywhere.

I'm pretty sure our executive members or normal members can't edit their own posts it's only staff that can. To be honest, it's not needed that much. Just think about what you post, if you go wrong edit it. In fact if you want to pull out your post completely, remove the content and just put in 'please delete', and report to the post for us to act and remove it. Simple as.

Ah see, I was right! Hooray!

@Glenn: wouldn't it be better if we saved you the struggle, and deleted our own posts instead of asking you? ;)

Damn.

I thought we had that feature but obviously we don't. I'll try and write a little hack to enable it soon.

This is at least the 4th or possibly 5th thread I can remember asking this question going all the way back to '03 and the answer in those threads is the same one already given here.

As for editing, well yes you can edit your own posts but not indefinitely. The edit time limit is currently much more generous than it used to be, I remember we played with 15 and 30 minute time limits a few years ago and that helped greatly in combating the spam and other stuff. The forums have well, "matured" since then but the lack of own post deletion and edit time limit won't be going any time soon

lolol testing.

Being able to delete after only a few minutes is fine. Dealing with double posting, for example.

That seems to generally work ok...

to be fair his first post was
edit.jpg

:naughty:

Back