Why did you buy Half-Life 2?

M

MFazio23

I'm doing research for a paper for my English class, and I wanted to know the reason that people bought Half-Life 2. I know most would say for the whole package, but what part in particular was the most appealing?

1. Single player
2. CS:Source
3. Graphics/Physics
4. Playing user-made mods (Including maps and gametypes)
5. Creating mods (The above plus skins, models, etc)

and also, did the knowledge that user-made modifications were inevitable impact your decision to purchase the game?

Single player was main thing for me. Mods were the second biggest factor since I'd like to try out modding myself and then user-made mods how many 'amateur' mods nowadays are so high quality.

I wish I could write reports on computer games for MY english class...

Oh yeah and all of the options except #2.

I thought I was buying a radioactive isotope that would decay rapidly :-(.

it's probably because I was a fan of the first, and the fact that it was a promising game, with some great graphics and story =)

Mods, but since the age of two I have loved to smash things with crow bars, so I had to get it :D

I didn't want to buy HL2, I was coerced into buying it in return for my family...

Everyone else did, so I decided to hop aboard the band wagon..

i think a better question would be, "Why would anyone NOT buy Half-Life 2?"

:bounce: I Like To Drink Alot Of Beer So......what Else Do U Do While Drinking???? Play Hl,hl2!!!!! :cheers:

1. Single player-The main reason
2. CS:Source-not at all
3. Graphics/Physics-adds to the game, but I would have bought it even if these were average.
4. Playing user-made mods (Including maps and gametypes)-not a huge reason, but am looking forward to seeing what people will do.
5. Creating mods (The above plus skins, models, etc)-Had nothing to do with me buying it. But will play around with stuff and if I get a good grasp of how to do things I may give it a serious whirl.

Single player. Even though they cut out a lot of the things I was looking forward to, they still managed to make a really great game.

The first one was great and I know the second one was going to be another smash hit.

Single player
Playing user-made mods
Creating mods
CS:Source
Graphics/Physics

In that order.

MFazio23 said:
...and also, did the knowledge that user-made modifications were inevitable impact your decision to purchase the game?
No.

Single player. It's the only reason I buy any game ever.

Any future mods didn't have an impact on my decision.

1-4 but if i have to pick one as fav i'd say 3

the most apppealing part was that i got it for free :cheers:. second most appealing is user made mods

Thanks for the input :)
More people are welcome to add their thoughts, I want all the opinions I can get.

to me single player and the promising graphics & fysics were the most important reason. First I didn't want to buy it all, 'cause it costs € 50 or more in Dutch stores. That I find a bit expensive. Second, it is so addictive...Thinking about playin' all day at work.
BTW the scares in the game r so realistic, I fall of my chair on a regular bases. I allready experienced that in Half Life and Opposing Force, and I liked it...

The Singleplayer and the almighty Team Fortress 2 when it gets released.

Honestly i cant decide, so all.

Singleplayer.
Graphics/Physics.
Usermade mods.

I bought it for the physics implementation and the mod support. 1 year from now, some of the best mods out there will be really starting to bloom. A good deal of them will hopefully mature into really great games.

Back