Why Halo 2 might sell more than Half-life 2

i think that halo 2 will sell but just because it is more public on a console for noobs and stuff... people who are smart on pc's will know about half life2 and halo 2, but newbs who dont even know what graphics card is will be like omg halo 2 has best graphicals!!! i think both games will be great tho so its good for gamers overall!

-merc

*remembers the awful physics in Max Payne 2 - that only succeeded in making the gameworld feel less consistent*

Awful ? I wouldn't say so, unless you're talking about the PS2 version, which I can understand, but the PC version ? Bull. Didn't you get a warm fuzzy feeling when you shot the terrorist in the hospital at the beginning, and he slammed into the shelves, and then the cabinet fell on him ?

Didn't you get the same feeling when you shot a terrorist off some scaffolding and he fell 3-4 floors to the ground ? I think physics add SOME realism to the gameworld, but boy, you're wrong there ...

Who really cares anymore. Get HL2, Get Halo 2 or get both of them. Halo is a decent game if you have an X-box and HL2 is great if you have a computer. Just aslong as everyones happy eh!.

Warbie said:
As for Nolf - to be fair I hardly played NOLF2, so can't really comment. The first was very average, though (imo) I got bored and uninstalled it 3/4 of the way through. You may not rate GE or PD that much - but they are two of the most respected shooters ever made, both by their many fans, and the industry (something that can't be said of the NOLF series)

Thats not true man, now you're just speaking fluent fanboy. If you go to www.gamerankings.com and look up NOLF 1 and 2 they both have an avg score of 90%, both higher then Doom 3 and Far Cry. Whilst, obviously their scores arent as high as Goldeneye and PD (both averaging 94%) the NOLF series can still hold its ground among some of the best shooters ever made

merc said:
i think that halo 2 will sell but just because it is more public on a console for noobs and stuff... people who are smart on pc's will know about half life2 and halo 2, but newbs who dont even know what graphics card is will be like omg halo 2 has best graphicals!!! i think both games will be great tho so its good for gamers overall!

-merc

I would'nt mind but Halo2 does'nt even have the best graphics on a console imo. Gran Turismo4 walks all over it.

Neo_Kuja said:
Awful ? I wouldn't say so, unless you're talking about the PS2 version, which I can understand, but the PC version ? Bull. Didn't you get a warm fuzzy feeling when you shot the terrorist in the hospital at the beginning, and he slammed into the shelves, and then the cabinet fell on him ?

Didn't you get the same feeling when you shot a terrorist off some scaffolding and he fell 3-4 floors to the ground ? I think physics add SOME realism to the gameworld, but boy, you're wrong there ...

There's no right or wrong in this, it's all personal opinion.

There were times when the physics added to the experience (as you mentioned), and others when it detracted from the realism (objects often felt weightless, and on occasion reacted very strangely) and felt very 'tacked on'. I guess it bothered me more than it did you :)

Sparta said:
Thats not true man, now you're just speaking fluent fanboy. If you go to www.gamerankings.com and look up NOLF 1 and 2 they both have an avg score of 90%, both higher then Doom 3 and Far Cry. Whilst, obviously their scores arent as high as Goldeneye and PD (both averaging 94%) the NOLF series can still hold its ground among some of the best shooters ever made

Fair enough (i'm really not trying to put down NOLF) We've gone over this enough times for you to know i'm not spouting fanboy rubbish (we just happen to disagree). I was just pointing out that Golden Eye is generally considered as a 'classic'.

A few games come out that loved by everyone, the 'show stoppers', and get consistently great reviews. The games that people still talk about in awe years down the line. HL s one of them, so is Zelda etc - and so Golden Eye.

Warbie said:
There's no right or wrong in this, it's all personal opinion.

There were times when the physics added to the experience (as you mentioned), and others when it detracted from the realism (objects often felt weightless, and on occasion reacted very strangely) and felt very 'tacked on'. I guess it bothered me more than it did you :)
Yes, but if you shoot something and it moves, its much more realistic then shooting it and nothing happens. IMO:)

Goldeneye was a classic. It was one of the two N64 games i liked, Mario Kart being the other. Zelda was'nt very impressive, mainly because i looked at it as being Nintendo's way of competing with Final Fantasy and nothing gets my vote over FF or can compete with it. ;)

Anyway just to contribute to the thread again - HL2 will outsell Halo2 in the long run. Console games dont have that 'lasting' appeal that PC games have. GTA:SA will outsell them both by double going from VC sales as SA look's to be a massive jump over VC in gameplay and story.

Alig said:
Zelda was'nt very impressive, mainly because i looked at it as being Nintendo's way of competing with Final Fantasy and nothing gets my vote over FF or can compete with it. ;).
Thats odd, because they both appeared at about the same time (1987), and Zelda is by far the more popular and better reviewed of the two. :D If anything FF would probably be Sony's answer to Zelda, although I don't think they're competing with eacher at all since Zelda is so action-oriented.

hmm have to say that i havent heard much about goldeneye, so i personally dont count it as a classic....and btw thinking that halo 2 will sell more than hl2 is ubsured lol. how can a crap game out sell the most anticipated game of all time??????? didnt think you would know.

brink's said:
Yes, but if you shoot something and it moves, its much more realistic then shooting it and nothing happens. IMO:)

Sometimes :)

But if i step into a can and it shoots off at a 100 miles an hour, or bodies bounce and shake like spastic rubber people long after being shot, the effect can be the opposite. Also, if certain things in the gameworld react to being shot, and others don't, this too can take away from the experience - consistency being one of the most important features in creating a 'believable' game.

'why doesn't that move when I shoot it' ?

'why doesn't this rocket launcher destroy that wooden door' ?

Direwolf said:
Thats odd, because they both appeared at about the same time (1987), and Zelda is by far the more popular and better reviewed of the two. :D If anything FF would probably be Sony's answer to Zelda, although I don't think they're competing with eacher at all since Zelda is so action-oriented.

Yeah i know they are both very old series but i was only born in 1984 :p

When i first started playing games properly (not on my NES or SNES!) on my PS1 i had FF7 (its the earliest one i've played) and my mate who had an N64 had Zelda and we used to argue which was best so some form of hate grew on me about Zelda ;)...and 5 years later i'm still comparing the two. How sad lol.

Pureball said:
hmm have to say that i havent heard much about goldeneye, so i personally dont count it as a classic....and btw thinking that halo 2 will sell more than hl2 is ubsured lol. how can a crap game out sell the most anticipated game of all time??????? didnt think you would know.
Obviously you are not much of a gamer if you have no heard much about Goldeneye, it was all that was talking about a year after its release.

Foxtrot said:
Very doubtful that Halo 2 will come out for the PC. Also, everyone who bought Halo will be buying Halo 2, and then everyone who got it for free and then people who just borowed it from a friend(I know a lot).
umm... it is comming for pc(i think)

Halo 2 will obviously outsell HL2.

It has a damn multiplayer component, which might actually be fun. Not some run down 5 year old counter crap rehash.

Although, I predict HL2's SP campaign to beat even halo 2's.

lans said:

It has a damn multiplayer component, which might actually be fun. Not some run down 5 year old counter crap rehash.

I am playing CS:S and there is somthing addictive about it, because of it I am now half an hour late for work...but damn it was worth it.

Half-Life 2 will pwn all including :sniper: Halo 2.
End of subject, thread, etc.

lans said:

PEOPLE LIKE CS:S, why can't anyone figure that out?

Halo 2 will sell more (initally) that Half-Life 2 because it has more rabid fanboys. Simple. :)

Neo_Kuja said:
Halo 2 will sell more (initally) that Half-Life 2 because it has more rabid fanboys. Simple. :)

I'm not so sure about that ;)

HL2 is more popular. Its why Halo fanboy's posting stuff about Halo2>HL2 threads they get flamed to death! (i saw it on a g4techtv link to a halo2>hl2 thread before and it was'nt very pretty and the HL2 fans was in masses compared to halo2)

If HL2 comes out on xbox and ps2 it will triple outsell halo2 because most console fans don't have pc's and it wont even look shit on consoles where as by the time halo2 comes out on PC (which i predict it will eventually) it will look like dog shit compared to the likes of UE3 games and Bumped source engine games etc. Alot of people care about old graphics and halo2 will look like crap by the time its released on PC, hence...HL2 will outsell Halo2 in the long run. Not nessecarily (sp?) at start of retail.

Alig said:
HL2 is more popular. Its why Halo fanboy's posting stuff about Halo2>HL2 threads they get flamed to death! (i saw it on a g4techtv link to a halo2>hl2 thread before and it was'nt very pretty and the HL2 fans was in masses compared to halo2)

If HL2 comes out on xbox and ps2 it will triple outsell halo2 because most console fans don't have pc's and it wont even look shit on consoles where as by the time halo2 comes out on PC (which i predict it will eventually) it will look like dog shit compared to the likes of UE3 games and Bumped source engine games etc. Alot of people care about old graphics and halo2 will look like crap by the time its released on PC, hence...HL2 will outsell Halo2 in the long run. Not nessecarily (sp?) at start of retail.

That thread (was it Half-sucks 2?) wasn't just a joke to show how stupid many Halo 2 fanboys are.

Yeah, but then there will be MODS. These great mods will get heard about. Thus people will buy the game.

Will there be any Halo 2 mods? Ohh wait.. Halo 2 is for xbox ^_^.

Minerel said:
Yeah, but then there will be MODS. These great mods will get heard about. Thus people will buy the game.

Will there be any Halo 2 mods? Ohh wait.. Halo 2 is for xbox ^_^.

all that stuff of the MODS is anoiying

are people that look that want to buy HL2 just for the MODS and sure will not play the original game

<RJMC> said:
all that stuff of the MODS is anoiying

are people that look that want to buy HL2 just for the MODS and sure will not play the original game

Imo Valve's aim is to make an amazing Single player game with the best modding capability on the market and i'm sure they've made HL2 extremely easy to mod on. Fair enough because it will be so easy we'll see a hell of alot of cookie cutter mods left right and centre but just one hit like Counter-Strike was for HL and they've done it again and HL2 will be bought by people for just this hit mod alone.

Alig said:
Imo Valve's aim is to make an amazing Single player game with the best modding capability on the market and i'm sure they've made HL2 extremely easy to mod on. Fair enough because it will be so easy we'll see a hell of alot of cookie cutter mods left right and centre but just one hit like Counter-Strike was for HL and they've done it again and HL2 will be bought by people for just this hit mod alone.

but still IMO the MODS are not soo OMG THE PW3NZER or whatever

<RJMC> said:
but still IMO the MODS are not soo OMG THE PW3NZER or whatever

Well if they was'nt DoD and CS etc...would'nt still be the most played online games in the world. I think HL/Mods take up 88% of the worlds online gameplay.

Alig said:
Well if they was'nt DoD and CS etc...would'nt still be the most played online games in the world. I think HL/Mods take up 88% of the worlds online gameplay.
No where near 88%...

Back