Why is the Citadel Digging?

The thumpers - I like the ant lion repellent theory myself. My favorite part of the city is how it consumes the city around it. That was the first thing I remember when I saw the first demo from Half Life 2 - the citadel taking a bite out of the surrounding city. You can hear it in the background in Ravenholm.

Mechagodzilla said:
I'd say it's definitely digging.
And unless it's going to china, I can only assume it's either to mining for resources or adding extra basement floors to the facility.
Shit there invading China? I live in China...shit shit :x

I think the Combine use nano-tech and can re-arange matter. The helicopter makes its own bombs this way and the Combine are digging because they can use any mater they want to make their equipment.

im sure that the combine dig for resources but i dont think you can actually see the citadel digging for them. what you can see is the walls eating the city.

i dont think its a giant thumper because you would hear a huge thumping noise constantly while in city 17 if it was.

If the Citadel was intended to be a giant stomper to keep out the Antlions, it would mean that the Combine already new about the habit of Xen creatures, especially the ants. I could imagine that they have the technology to come up with something like the smaller stompers on Highway 17's beaches very fast, but I don't think that they could adapt a structure as large as the Citadel to do the same.

Not to mention that you probably would notice the force of the stomping all around City 17, and we never experience something like this, except at the very bottom of the Citadel.

ríomhaire said:
I think the Combine use nano-tech and can re-arange matter. The helicopter makes its own bombs this way and the Combine are digging because they can use any mater they want to make their equipment.
Nah, if they used Nanotech, there wouldn't be any seams on their metal. It's most likely welded.

-Angry Lawyer

Angry Lawyer said:
Nah, if they used Nanotech, there wouldn't be any seams on their metal. It's most likely welded.

-Angry Lawyer
I never noticed any welds, oh well.

Maybe the citadel is digging in an attempt to compromise the earths crust and be able to trigger earth quakes - Nothing like a 9.5 to make the rebels think again - Although the weak point on this theory is if you do look at the citadel it does seem to be quite shallow so maybe there just digging for foundation.

ríomhaire said:
I think the Combine use nano-tech and can re-arange matter. The helicopter makes its own bombs this way
Having a Serious Sam flashback.

Can anyone say "techno-magical ammunition replenisher"? :p

N.P.C. said:
Maybe the citadel is digging in an attempt to compromise the earths crust and be able to trigger earth quakes - Nothing like a 9.5 to make the rebels think again - Although the weak point on this theory is if you do look at the citadel it does seem to be quite shallow so maybe there just digging for foundation.
Yaaar! They be digging for the lost treasure off five fathm shoal! Sixteen ships and twice as many men went lost to the sea! No-one survived. Not even me... Yar!

AJ Rimmer said:
Yaaar! They be digging for the lost treasure off five fathm shoal! Sixteen ships and twice as many men went lost to the sea! No-one survived. Not even me... Yar!

2 people per ship? thats a very small capacity......

If they are digging but not utilizing what they dig up, i.e. the rock, where does it go. I never noticed any giant rock heaps.

15357 said:
2 people per ship? thats a very small capacity......
Yarr... I bought too many ships... No refund... It is little wonder why they sunk. Yaarrr, I don't know what I'm doing!

Back