Why the US can war anywhere it wants.

well america wants to take on the world, looks like they're going the right way about it. still, military spending isn't everything, there's no way America could 'coquer the world', despite their hugely absurd spending habits.

They're an empire in everything but name. They have military outposts around most of the globe. They're the only superpower on the planet. Its the most technologically advanced and powerful nation there is.

The only thing they lack is pink ink on the political map of the world.

Parrot of doom is correct in this case... the US spends the most money on their military because they make more money than other countries to be spending.

Its misleading to rank countries by the total money spent on military without taking into account how much money they make in the first place.

Thats like saying the total # of suicides have increased by a factor of 10 since the 1950s without taking into account the fact that the population has increased since then.

They're an empire in everything but name. They have military outposts around most of the globe. They're the only superpower on the planet. Its the most technologically advanced and powerful nation there is.

The only thing they lack is pink ink on the political map of the world.

Sometimes I wonder what people a thousand, or even five hundred years from now will read about when they study world history. Hard to imagine OUR time ending up in a history book.

Sometimes I wonder what people a thousand, or even five hundred years from now will read about when they study world history. Hard to imagine OUR time ending up in a history book.

It was probably even harder for a citizen of the Roman Empire back in the day. Now, that was some hardcore supremacy.

New Orleans was far more important than just being a city that was hit by hurricanes.

Besides... it wasn't a problem until those Levies(sp?) broke.

And going on with the chart... If I were canada, I wouldn't feel the need to spend alot of money on military with USA to the south doing it all. I mean, it's not like there's any threat of America invading canada in this day and age.

That is why I love canada. We don't give a crap about military.
EDIT: Fliko I think so.

It is worrying, but what is more worrying is when an industry gets that big it becomes more and more compartmentalised so often you don't know exactley what branches are doing what.

Hence why Donald Rumsfeld had to admit the pentagon had lost track of over 20 billion dollars of funding , yes.. untrackable tax payers money. That kindof lost money gives credance to the likelyhood of 'black projects' and it also indicates how out of hand the military industrial complex in the US has become.

It's not only dangerous abroad but most definately dangerous to the American people aswell, it really needs to be stopped, it's war capitalisim gone out of control.

at least we dont have to worry about the russians invading.....oh wait....its not the cold war anymore. and we still spend just as much.

Well, by 2026, our military spending will be 6410000000000000 WON total, from 2005.

Which is about $6410000000000

Dividing that by 20, we get... $320,500,000,000 per year.

Which will be about enough to take over North Korea, Japan, about half of southeast asia...... Thanks to the US military bases stationed here <3 <3 <3.

(Estimates courtesy of the Ministry of Defence, and the Ministry of Economy)

You plan on taking over the tentacle rape capital of the world? Good. You can keep it. Personally, I've always thought that we should sell the services of our military to the highest bidder as a way of defraying the costs during times in which peace has broken out. That way we can just wait for other people to start up clearly defined wars instead of trying to make our own. I maintain that we should have merely carpet-bombed a city in the middle east (I vote for Mecca) and left it at that after 9/11.

"Democratic goverments worldwide have been reducing their military spending for social services. What they do not realize is that keeping the populace alive and free is the most important social service of all."
You're genuinely agreeing that mind-bogglingly grotesque amounts of spending on a bloated military in order to knock seven shades of shit out of foreign nations is preferable to cutting that back and spending it on schools, healthcare and other public services that have an immediate impact on a populace where millions live in desperate poverty? The country with one of the largest gaps between rich and poor can afford such tremendous and over-whelming defensive (or offensive, depending on which side of the carpet-bomings you're on) force, but this is more important than improving the quality of life of the poor?

You're saying that wars built on lies, old grudges and corporate puppetry is preferable to, just to pick one example here, the repair of New Orleans? One year on from Hurricane Katrina, the once vibrant, historic, world famous and culturally-irreplacable city is in no fit state to house the population it once did and, as many reports have noted, will probably never recover, leaving thousands upon thousands jobless, homeless and unwell, both physically and mentally. However this pales in insignificance when compared to an ever-expanding military - is that what you're saying?

I personally would say that healthcare, education and the general upkeep of the nation is a more important social service than the military. I'm not saying that the US should have no military - such a suggestion would be silly - but I am saying that (and I'm not positive on the figures here, but I'm going to go out on a limb) the US could spend billions more on the well-being of its citizens at home and less on the "protection" of them by brutal warfare abroad and still be "alive and free". I think many, if not most citizens would appreciate this improvement in their quality of life, probably more than they appreciate the military.

I wish I could war who ever I want.

If I was in charge of the USA I'd take on the world.. well, I'd start off with some smaller countries noone really cares about than start taking on the big guys like USSR, China and so on.

It'd be so fun.

The solution to it all is very simple:

Versalife_logo.png

Majestic Twelve

- This war... the rioting is intensifying to the point where we may not be able to contain it.

- Why contain it? Let it spill over the schools and churches, let the bodies pile up in the streets. In the end they'll beg us to save them.

- I've received reports of armed skirmishes in cities. There's not enough social services for everyone, and the underclasses are starting to get desperate.

- Of course they're desperate; they can smell their deaths, and the sound they'll make rattling their cages will serve as a warning to the rest.

- Mmm. I hope you're not underestimating the problem. The others may not go as quietly as you think -- intelligence indicates they're behind the problems in Europe.

- A bunch of pretentious old men playing at running the world. But the world left them behind long ago. We are the future. We've had to endure much, but soon there will be order again. A new age. Aquinas spoke of the mythical city on the hill, soon that city will be a reality and we will be crowned its kings. Or, better than kings... gods!

this thread is almost surreal ...so many new people saying nonsensical things just begging to be stepped on for their pov or chastised for being foaming at the mouth crazy ..oh and then there's Numbers; asking for our plough-shares to be beaten back into being swords. Well I say a pox on you

The solution to it all is very simple:

Versalife_logo.png

Majestic Twelve

- This war... the rioting is intensifying to the point where we may not be able to contain it.

- Why contain it? Let it spill over the schools and churches, let the bodies pile up in the streets. In the end they'll beg us to save them.

- I've received reports of armed skirmishes in cities. There's not enough social services for everyone, and the underclasses are starting to get desperate.

- Of course they're desperate; they can smell their deaths, and the sound they'll make rattling their cages will serve as a warning to the rest.

- Mmm. I hope you're not underestimating the problem. The others may not go as quietly as you think -- intelligence indicates they're behind the problems in Europe.

- A bunch of pretentious old men playing at running the world. But the world left them behind long ago. We are the future. We've had to endure much, but soon there will be order again. A new age. Aquinas spoke of the mythical city on the hill, soon that city will be a reality and we will be crowned its kings. Or, better than kings... gods!

Politics 101? Awesomness.

this thread is almost surreal ...so many new people saying nonsensical things just begging to be stepped on for their pov or chastised for being foaming at the mouth crazy ..oh and then there's Numbers; asking for our plough-shares to be beaten back into being swords. Well I say a pox on you

I do not understand the bolded words....

Just spoke to a Southern American collegue of mine who mentioned that the price of 1 B52 bomber would be enough to solve the entire south's educational problems: higher salaries etc.

Dont know if this is true, but it sure as hell explains a bit of frustration, even from Americans themselves.

Just spoke to a Southern American collegue of mine who mentioned that the price of 1 B52 bomber would be enough to solve the entire south's educational problems: higher salaries etc.

Dont know if this is true, but it sure as hell explains a bit of frustration, even from Americans themselves.

B52 = 2 billion a piece.

I don't have a problem helping out a bit everywhere that needs it. But we aren't required to solve everbodies problems.

you dont solve problems ..you help create them

crater.jpg

G W Bush can go to war because god told him to strike down whoever takes his fancy

heh ..I have about 2 dozen images/links I could put in my sig that I repeat ad nauseum ..but I wont cuz my sig is already spoken for. Besides this method is far more effective in getting my point across

Stern I'd rather you post a 5 paragraph essay than have to look at one of your pictures again D:

you dont solve problems ..you help create them

crater.jpg

I wasn't refering to what we are currently doing, I was simply implying that as a super power, we should help out the world a bit. But IMO should be more concenred with what happens within our own borders.

Back