Will alyx be useless?

Zeus

Tank
Reaction score
I'm concerned that Alyx will be a useless sidekick in HL2 who will not be much help in a gunfight. Most female sidekicks in games are useless and say things like "Ok, I want you to clear out this area of enemies and I'll follow then the next room we do it again." Like Val from far cry who barely helps (I think she killed one or two enemies in the entire time we fought together). I for one will be very angry if there's a mission like "gordon please clean out that room of nasty combine and then when we get in you cover me while I accomplish some useless task!". Then another where its like "Gordon you drive and try to gun too while I polish my nails and put my lipstick on." Then you hit a bump and she's like "You moron! I got lipstick on my nose now!" followed by a black screen that says "mission failed". Or even worse, you have to save her at the end. That kind of gameplay is just not halflife.

edit-oops lol

It's Alyx, not Alex :p

And, I hope she's not a combat partner, I hate it when games do that (like Val).
In other words, I agree. I've never had a great NPC ally that was truly useful

I heard she does her bits of acting then immediately ragdolls and just lies there on the floor.

So yes, she is useless.

I reckon she's a bit of a tom-boy, so she'll enjoy killing le combine

She'll be a combat partner - I think valve once accidently revealed that there will be a part, where you are going to save alyx from the combines who have captured her or something.

She'll be in the lab with a plan for the next mission

"Gordon I need you to create a diversion by starting a gunfight with the combine so I can go in and get my nailpolish back."

*aims gun at alyx's head

blam blam blam.....-black screen

Shuzer said:
It's Alyx, not Alex :p

And, I hope she's not a combat partner, I hate it when games do that (like Val).
In other words, I agree. I've never had a great NPC ally that was truly useful

What about Barney? He and I dispatched many a headcrab down deep in Sector C. Ahh, the memories.

SMT said:
What about Barney? He and I dispatched many a headcrab down deep in Sector C. Ahh, the memories.

lol. he never followed me...

Nah, Alyx will be to great help but I'm doubting her abilities in the field though. That's yet to show.

SMT said:

meh, Barney was ANNOYING at times.. he stole my kills, and if you accidentally shot him, he'd start shooting you 'cause he's an idiot! Lol

I think Alyx will be a great addition to the game, trust value in their decisions.

Raziel-Jcd said:
I think Alyx will be a great addition to the game, trust value in their decisions.

Since when did valve software became value software? :cheers:

I hope the AI is so good that Alyx does all the killing and Gordon only gets to shoot like one or two people and Alyx is like "Some help you are." Now that would be a classic gaming moment.

As long as she's not as stupid as that chica in Far Cry. Running ahead TRYING to alert every enemy in the entire freakin island.

"Sit here and don't make a peep if you can't follow my lead."
More then once I wished I could just kill her.

alehm said:
I hope the AI is so good that Alyx does all the killing and Gordon only gets to shoot like one or two people and Alyx is like "Some help you are." Now that would be a classic gaming moment.

I remember valve saying that the squad A.I. will depend on your fighting style. If you don't fight much, they won't obey your orders.

In the barricade vid Barney seemed pretty smart, even though I think the enemy AI was dumbed down. I'm sure Alyx will be of help as well as Calhoun.

Alyx can be as dumb as the Half Life Barney, JUST DONT EFFING MAKE HER AS DUMB AS VAL!!!!!!!!!

Alyx will probably have DOG with her alot of the time, so she won't be entirely useless.

* Z|insane gasps

OMG WHAT IF DOG IS USELESS? WHAT IF THE WHOLE AI THING IS A JOKE AND WE ARE IN THE MATRIX?

Abom, I never thought about that good point about Dog. :cheers:

:farmer: gordons gotta pimp some hos this time around...and you know valve all sat in their conference room...."OK! todays main topic with a vote of hands......Gordon gets a ho in the game??? *all hands go up.....well then its final. gordon will get a ho!" :afro:

kilword said:
gordons gotta pimp some hos this time around...and you know valve all sat in their conference room...."OK! todays main topic with a vote of hands......Gordon gets a ho in the game??? *all hands go up.....well then its final. gordon will get a ho!"
You know the in-game music that's so moody in HL1? In HL2 it's even better in the normal parts of the game, but when Gordon gets into his buggy or "Pimpmobile" it starts playing:
"I like big butts and I cannot lie, you other brothers can't deny..."

i think shell be of use. even if shes not too combat effective, i think she wont be annoying. the character interaction is one of the things im most looking forward to in this game.

AJ Rimmer said:
You know the in-game music that's so moody in HL1? In HL2 it's even better in the normal parts of the game, but when Gordon gets into his buggy or "Pimpmobile" it starts playing:
"I like big butts and I cannot lie, you other brothers can't deny..."

Now there's a mod idea if ever I did hear one...

'Pimp Life 2 - With added ho-doll physics.'

Ol'Master said:
Now there's a mod idea if ever I did hear one...

'Pimp Life 2 - With added ho-doll physics.'
-Gordon honey I love you!
-Shut up baby I know it!

Gordon Freebling... I can see it now "Return to the facilities of Black Mature and experience the sex all over again in VALVe new-old game Half-Life: The return of the bitches"

god i hate street...please stop.

I don't like DOG so much, strikes me as a bit lame, sidekicks never work, we shall have to wait and see how wrong i am.

No. She's pretty to look at :-D

Like in the E3 trailer, "Gordon? Gordon you're doing it again!"

Heh, with the new AI, I'm sure she help you fight.

BTW, if you watched the e32k4 video you will notice that you cant shoot her, or eli, or mossman, or father gregory, barny etc. because they are central to the story and you dont have liberty of being a sicko or psyco, whichever you prefer... :rolleyes:

Gordon: "hold ma drink bitch! ITS A CELEBRATION BITCHES!"
alyx complies...

Hyperion2010 said:
BTW, if you watched the e32k4 video you will notice that you cant shoot her, or eli, or mossman, or father gregory, barny etc. because they are central to the story and you dont have liberty of being a sicko or psyco, whichever you prefer... :rolleyes:

Actually, you can, and it's been confirmed. He simply lowers his gun because you should know they're friendly. Of course the game will end (Seeing as how they're important to the story) if you do shoot them, but it's highly possible to kill them.

I wonder if HL2's A.I. is so smart that when we give an order to alyx that "blowjob, now"...we get the right outcome.

lans said:
I wonder if HL2's A.I. is so smart that when we give an order to alyx that "blowjob, now"...we get the right outcome.
Emphasis on out"come"

kilword said:
"So I said look bitch! im gordon freeman!" :afro:

Freebling... Freebling... (It's hanging off his HEV suit)

Oh, and I've heard in the beta Alyx gives great BJs.

AJ Rimmer said:
Emphasis on out"come"

I didn't say outcum...you sick sick sick bastard. :afro:

Edit: oh, I just said it meself. :O

Dead-Inside said:
Nah, Alyx will be to great help but I'm doubting her abilities in the field though. That's yet to show.
Maybe her only abilities qwill be in bed...

/me put on flame armor

I was wondering when the sexual innuendo would take center stage in this thread.

Back