Will HDR (DX9 FX) be in the final game?

mrchimp: Well, if you look back at some of them, they're not really worth reporting on their own...

Add them all together, though...

G0rgon: Gee... er.. thanks :eek:.

Brian Damage said:
Is Lense Warping like that Fish-Eye effect? Or is it where the colours at the edges of a lense start to separate out into a spectrum? My glasses do the last one... they're really thick...

Yeah thats the effect

-

MrChimp, its a good effect, well I say effect, side-effect should be more appropriate. But no doubt it'll be overused by people once the masses realises it exists (even though its existed since lens' were first made heh)

Interesting, yet discomforting information:

I'm actually not sure of this as it needs really high-end cards and we
are always balancing adding high-end features for just a few of our
customers vs doing more work that more people can enjoy. Sorry I can't
be more definitive than this.

Thanks,
Rick

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, May 03, 2004 1:48 PM
To: Rick Ellis
Subject: Re: Best representation?

Thanks for the reply, It's really awesome that you guys answer questions
like the. I kind of worded my question poorly though, what I was really
trying to ask is: Will HL2 itself use HDR to the extent seen in that
video? I only ask beacuse all of the other media has no sign of it, and
I wanted to know if it's a feature of HL2 the game or just the Source
engine. Sorry to e-mail agian, it was my fault.

Rick Ellis wrote:

>No, I'd say it's more of a good example of how the HDR will work but
>not how HL2 will look in general. There are limited textures and
>objects in that demo.
>
>Rick
>Valve
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: ****** [mailto:**********************]
>Sent: Sunday, May 02, 2004 6:24 PM
>To: Rick Ellis
>Subject: Best representation?
>
>Hi Rick, I was just wondering, is the Source HDR video the best
>representation of how HL2 will look? Thanks, and keep up the good work.

The first one sounds to me like he's actually saying that most DX 9 effects will look better, or at least more common, in HL2. As for the second, I don't really see how they would need to remove it if it were just an option in the menu...

a while back Valve and Ati and Microsoft (DXteam) calimed Valve's Hl2 to be the only realy DX9 benchmark (if Im not mistaken)
so one would assume so.
werent Valve the ones who pushed DX9 from the get-go?

Brian Damage said:
The first one sounds to me like he's actually saying that most DX 9 effects will look better, or at least more common, in HL2. As for the second, I don't really see how they would need to remove it if it were just an option in the menu...

If it really slows down computers with NV40 or r400 cards in them then they will only allow it to be enabled in the config file so people (who don't know the facts) don't moan about not being able to run the game at the highest settings, or enable it and put up with sub 30 frame rates, ruining there gameing experience.

Personally I think it will run pretty fast on those cards but my poor 9800 might struggle, although the DX9 video seemed pretty smooth and I would have thought that to be on a 9800.

We will just have to wait and see if it's useable or not, they won't stop people like use enableing it but they might take it away from the in game menu untill the majority of systems can run it fast enough. It seems strange untill you think about some of the people that come here.

"OMFG I CAN'T RUN HL2 ON EVERYTHING MAXED OUT, VALVE ARE ****ING LIERS"

Most gamers I know wouldnt be so narrow minded as to judge a game on a single graphical feature which holds no usefull purpose to the games enjoyment value, HL2 isnt a tech demo for overclockers to compare frame rates, thats what we have Doom3 for, the largest online gaming communities at the moment are not for the games with the best graphics, heck my clan plays RTCW and NS rofl.

I'm not entirely sure what he's trying to say in that email, as I interpret it, he says that it's a good example how HDR works and looks, but the overall looks of HL2 will differ from the video because the locations are much more varied in models and textures.
Gotta get me one of those 'Valve replies for Dummies' books :eek:

The textures with HDR capabilites need to have speacial propeties to show properly ingame, Source has the abbility to render the effect using the propeties, However to make HL2 use it completey every texture would need to be setup in this way, it takes time, to much time to satisfy a minority.

If valve wish to have HL2 using full HDR they can always distribute the finished HDR content via steam.

Lobster said:
The textures with HDR capabilites need to have speacial propeties to show properly ingame, Source has the abbility to render the effect using the propeties, However to make HL2 use it completey every texture would need to be setup in this way, it takes time, to much time to satisfy a minority.

If valve wish to have HL2 using full HDR they can always distribute the finished HDR content via steam.
That's probably their plan, give the HDR versions to those who subscribe to steam.

Back