Will Hl2 Run on My Comp

DookieBooty

Reaction score
Ok heres the deal my computer is pretty good i have a 2.6 ghz processor 512 mb ram but the only thing i think will hold me back is my graphics card wich is a Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller will i be able to play with this thing? if u need more information on kmy comp tell me

I think it will probably work. If you look here, it says that this graphics adapter supports DX9, so it will probably work. However, I cannot vouch for how well it will run.

ok thanks u so when u say u cannot vouch ewill that mean it will run like dookie?

DookieBooty said:
ok thanks u so when u say u cannot vouch ewill that mean it will run like dookie?
No, I mean I have no idea how well it will run. It may run well enough to play, but it also could run "like dookie."

If this is the same thing we've got in school which is some intell, it barely runs UT.

Yeah, I'd say you'd be taking a gamble if you bought this game. It would be better for you to either try out another Source engine game, or upgrade your graphics card.

ok 2 questions what a video stress test and i thought this game was supposed to run on just about any graphics card?

DookieBooty said:
ok 2 questions what a video stress test and i thought this game was supposed to run on just about any graphics card?
It may run on many graphics cards, but that doesn't mean it will run well on all of them. To me, if I had to run HL2 at 800x600 with all features turned down/off, it would be unacceptable. But that's just an example.

Like I said, it may run OK on your machine, but I can't say if it will. You're taking a gamble. In order to be sure either do some testing, do some more research on your card and its capabilities (it sounds like you don't even know which specific model your card is - you just copied the name from the Windows driver in your original post), or upgrade.

and what would be the point of buying another source engine game if i just buy hlalf life 2 whats the difference if it dosent work either way id be wastin my money

and what would be the point of buying another source engine game if i just buy hlalf life 2 whats the difference if it dosent work either way id be wastin my money

Find out if you can add an AGP card to your computer, Half-Life 2 will not run well AT ALL on that card. My girlfriend's computer is a dell with the same Intel Intergrated graphics card and that thing would barely run Counter-Strike 1.6 let alone anything running on Source. I would not buy Half-Life 2 until you have a decent graphics card, you'll have to spend at least $100 to get some enjoyment out of the game. The card you have in your computer is not really a card, its built into your motherboard chipset and its not good for gaming at all... You need to check your computer for an AGP slot, If you buy a PCI card it will have to be even faster then an AGP card to get the same performance.

I bet it looked like ass too... Her computer was almost identical but it had one 512MB stick and one 256MB stick of ram in it... It ran but not well... and Half-Life 2 and CS: Source are not anything like 1.6... I'm trying to help given my experiance with those great Dell computers and their intergrated chipset, its not a real graphics card, you'll have issues with HL2 and CS: Source.

i see what u mean im kinda dissapointed i might not buy it but it didnt look bad either

man this is disaapointing i thought this was supposed to run on all comps it does support directx 9

Well the problem with intergrated graphics is an issue that really needs to be addressed by the people that sell them in their computers... its not fair to the user to sell such a cheap grapics solution, they should offer a low-end AGP card instead, except they want to save a few bucks here and there... I just didn't want you to go buy the game expecting it to run smoothly with decent looking graphics, your lack of a dedicated graphics card is holding you back... as soon as you get something to fit the bill there, you should run the game just fine. I e-mailed Valve a long time ago wanting them to release a Stress Test, they included with with CS: Source but that requires purchasing HL2 to use it... which would be pointless, maybe a friend who purchased the game over Steam can come over and log-in to show you how it will run? Look for a used card from a friend or one with some rebates from Best Buy or Circuit City... they normally have something decent you can use.

I got a GF 4600 Ti and 1 Gig RAm, Xp 3000+.
It works, but I do not have that many details.

eh... dought it, intel video cards are worthless for running any games. You better invest in a new video card before buying hl2, cause I strongly dought you will even be able to get the game to boot.

Yah that 9200 should work, it will run the game descently, you may not be able to run everything at full detail but you should be able to play it with textures on medium everything else on high, I would invest in a DX9 card, but that DX8.1 card would run it, you'd be missing out on DX9 special effects and what not but at least you can play.

for best results I would get a 9600 pro/xt or 9800 pro/xt. Just depends on how much money your willing to spend.

im not sure how much im gonna spend i figured since my card was direct x 9 compatible i could run it

yah but don't get me wrong the 9200 should run it no problem. The problem with integrated graphics cards like that is their really not made for gaming at all.

Hey dookie- the game will work fine believe me. I am playing on a 2 year old laptop with a P4 1.5ghz 256ram and frickin 16mb of video on a frickin stoneage radeon mobility 7500. I had to dl an updated driver but the game still tells me that my card is out of date and might cause problems in the game. I click "stfu and continue anyway cause i love hl" and so during the game i have to play in the lowest resolution 640x5 or whatever it is and i have all the options turned to lowest and such. The game looks quite bad but it still works and the graphics are better than HL1. It doesnt lag that much either. SOO your computer should play the game fine enough, or at least better than mine. but it will def work and look semi-decent.

ok thanks my brother offered me his top of the line graphics card for only one hundred bucks wich i happen to have so im gonna buy the game before i get the new card and see how well it run thanks everybody lol ur funny hercules

will i at last be able to see the reflective water or the 40 facial muscles on that sexy girls face can u see them?

Depends on the graphics card. Anything that supports DX9 should give you a visual treat, though how well it will run is a good question.

ok thanks and hercules u mine sendin me a couple of screenshots of how it runs on ur comp?

yeah ill send ya some pics but i gotta warn you my graphics are so bad that hotass alyx actually looks like one of those frickin vortigaunts things

Pics with no graphics

Pics with all settings lowest, lowest resolution, dx7 (barely), outdated video card driver, i can take the shitty graphics b/c im just that hardcore of a HL fan...

that aint that bad actually but the lady has funny eyes but i love hl also do u lag? :sniper:

Back