Will the Benchmark arrive today?

Originally posted by Xtasy0
NEIN!

his slide said "the benchmark will be available to you september 30th for testing upcoming hardware"

you being the guys from hardware sites who were in attendance, anyways i've emailed gabe for clarification on the point...

i know your only being realistic...but...thanks for crushing my hope once again ;(

Originally posted by smilez
I forgot america was the center of the world :( oh well time to wait another day

Not sure why that comment rubbed me the wrong way. I would expect a company to release their product when it is that date in their timezone and not what ever timezone some random fan lives in.

Originally posted by deathryuu
i know your only being realistic...but...thanks for crushing my hope once again ;(

you're welcome. anytime you need your hope crushed, your dreams of success ruined, just let me know.

Originally posted by Heitai
Not sure why that comment rubbed me the wrong way. I would expect a company to release their product when it is that date in their timezone and not what ever timezone some random fan lives in.

Welcome to the forum, common sense post.

Originally posted by Xtasy0
you're welcome. anytime you need your hope crushed, your dreams of success ruined, just let me know.

dont worry i will ;)

Britain is indeed the centre of the world, historically, though I believe a molten hot core of dense metal is the real answer. GMT was the first actual time zone, so it made sense to make all other times +-GMT. These days, however, I have to sit trying to figure out what PST means...

PACIFIC STANDARD TIME

bellvue washington, near PACIFIC ocean.

I should really know that, since my girlfriend lives there at the moment... I dunno how you can get depressed in America, it's such a beautiful country, but everyone sits in the house smoking pot all day. I nearly died it was so hot in Washington, anybody live near Columbia Gorge? :p

lol i live about an hour or 2 away from valve, and right now its 6:20pm 9/29/03 So keep ur pants on

6:22 valve time, leaving them only 29 hours 38 minutes to get it out sometime tomorrow.

Edit: American schools can't teach math, it's fixed now

Anyone knows if the benchmark will use the latest, last minute and most actual build? because if its an old build i doubt it can represent the performance of the finished game

Well, I'll know after school :D If it does, it'll give me something to drool over and test my specs on.

Originally posted by The more on
Anyone knows if the benchmark will use the latest, last minute and most actual build? because if its an old build i doubt it can represent the performance of the finished game

Repeat after me: Bench. Mark.

Benchmark. It's a standardised tool used to measure the performance of a given set of entities. They would use a benchmark that realistically reflects performance of the actual game.

I honestly doubt it will be released, if anybody would know it would be people at gamespy, 3Dfiles, and some of the other large file distribution sites... Seeing as how they are silent, the likelihood is slim.

nothings gonna happen, not even the 3 videos they promised

Oh...something's gonna happen...

/me loads cartridge into shottie *clunk,click*

There will be no benchmark.

Halo runs like a dog in places on my beast. I iamgine HL2 to crawl. I think they are delayed waiting for better hardware to come out cause I cant see for a minute that it will run smooth of anything less than 3.2ghz. Porbably why they have only done closed benchmarks

Processor spead has nothing to do with it... a 3.2 P4 with a ti4600 with operated like a 2.2 with a ti4600

Originally posted by P4boy
There will be no benchmark.

Halo runs like a dog in places on my beast. I iamgine HL2 to crawl. I think they are delayed waiting for better hardware to come out cause I cant see for a minute that it will run smooth of anything less than 3.2ghz. Porbably why they have only done closed benchmarks

What does Halo have to do with HL2, exactly? Just because Gearbox did some poor optimization doesn't mean VALVe has (I notice the slowdown too, and that was a downer for the scores I've been reading for reviews).. oh and, as for "waiting for better hardware to come out", why would this be when HL2 is largely scalable, and will run even on outdated machines? weee.. sorry, late, little grumpy, was at steampowered.com forums, not a good place to go :) lol

Halo runs poorly because it was a sloppy port, and the rundown of your system is due to the written code. Hell, look at Call of Duty. That game looks so sweet and runs so smooth on medium systems. You know why? It runs off a modified Quake 3 engine. See, it's all about how you use the code. I am sure there is nothing or practically nothing wrong with the Source engine, seeing how it is very scalable. I don't know why the would not release a benchmark program.

well.... now i think valve sux...
if they dont release the game: OK.
If they dont release the benchmark: argh
if they dont even release some new footage: **** YOU!!!!

I apologise in advance if this has been discussed already - but do we know what form this benchmark program will take? Is it gonna be effectively a 'timedemo' or a set of 3D scenes....or just a set of graphs that magically appear when you press 'go'..

*whirr*
function CheckVidCard()
{
if(windows.videocard != "ATi")
{
alert("Your system is not powerful enough to run HL2 - recommend you upgrade to an ATi 9800XT <marketing plug goes here>");
}
}

:) That said i don't intend on upgrading my Ti4400 unless it really does run like sh*t

Originally posted by Magicpants
I apologise in advance if this has been discussed already - but do we know what form this benchmark program will take? Is it gonna be effectively a 'timedemo' or a set of 3D scenes....or just a set of graphs that magically appear when you press 'go'..

*whirr*
function CheckVidCard()
{
if(windows.videocard != "ATi")
{
alert("Your system is not powerful enough to run HL2 - recommend you upgrade to an ATi 9800XT <marketing plug goes here>");
}
}

:) That said i don't intend on upgrading my Ti4400 unless it really does run like sh*t
It will probably be the same style as Aquamark3. The fun part is that what you mention is what Nvidia has done for years with its TWIMTBP program :p

It makes me cringe how much bullshit people write about hardware on forums like this. Halo runs slow so HL2 will as well??? what ****ing planet are you on, and thats not the worst I'v seen in this thread either.

Benchmark bah, we'll be lucky if hardware reviewers see it and there not going to leak it. Makeing enemys with Valve aand there little friend is not a good idea.

Makeing enemys with Valve aand there little friend is not a good idea.

Which little friend? ATi? The same ATi that leaked the Doom 3 Alpha?

Back