Willdo follows up...

If somebody told me I could ask Gabe Newell 15 questions, I hope I wouldn't ask him why he never posts on my board, why the game was delayed, how he views his game as competition for other games, and why modders are abandoning HL2 for Far Cry (news to me -- I don't know of a single mod from an established team that was committed to HL2 and threw it over for FC).

Maybe some more interesting questions would have been about inspirations for HL2, what the best way to get into the video game scene is, how the team works, what helps them work best, etc.

<rant>
WHO GIVES A **** ABOUT THE DELAY NOW? IT HAPPENED, IT SUCKED, WE CRIED, VALVE BLUSHED. IT'S OLD NEWS. MOVE ON.
</rant>

Please, don't flame Willdo for the questions that he didn't write, perhaps you could question his judgement in choosing to ask them anyway, but that's pretty much it.

And PC Nerd, it's not just dignity you lose by removing the professionalism, it's the effectiveness.. let's look at:

"In what ways do you think you pwn farcry?"

Versus

"What qualities do you believe your game possesses that other high-end games like far cry do not?"

I know Gabe would have given the answer we wanted instead of whatever he really said

GorgeousOrifice said:
If somebody told me I could ask Gabe Newell 15 questions, I hope I wouldn't ask him why he never posts on my board, why the game was delayed, how he views his game as competition for other games, and why modders are abandoning HL2 for Far Cry (news to me -- I don't know of a single mod from an established team that was committed to HL2 and threw it over for FC).

Maybe some more interesting questions would have been about inspirations for HL2, what the best way to get into the video game scene is, how the team works, what helps them work best, etc.

<rant>
WHO GIVES A **** ABOUT THE DELAY NOW? IT HAPPENED, IT SUCKED, WE CRIED, VALVE BLUSHED. IT'S OLD NEWS. MOVE ON.
</rant>

You live in Seattle WA? How far away from Valve? :)
Visit them! :D

gh0st said:
i probably wont want to return. im going august 21'st at 1:30 :) very excited.

August? you mean july, right? I thought you said you are going next week...

Also, ask him this question that's KILLING me, for ages:

Will HL2 support flinching/animation blending/key-frame animation or whatever it's called. Basically, will the soldier act as though they got "hurt" when shot?

what community orifice? me curious :D

no not august 21st lol thats a typo, next week. sorry about that :cheers:

gh0st said:
what community orifice? me curious :D

me has no idea what u talkin about.:p

But do ask Gabe about my question. :D

i was talking to orifice. yes ill see about your q

PvtRyan said:
With a little bit of research, you could have eliminated half of your questions. I mean, you could have know things wouldn't have elasticity because HL2 only features rigid body physics.
Actually, materials DO have elasticity variables, and while things don't stretch or compress like rubber, they will bounce realistically according to their set 'elasticity'. This is a simple feature of every half decent physics engine, so that the developer can set how 'bouncy' an object is. But I do agree, a little bit of research could have vastly improved the questions.

PvtRyan said:
You live in Seattle WA? How far away from Valve? :)
Visit them! :D

>_> <_<

Valve's office is about three miles from where I work. I'm not going to drop by until after HL2 goes gold though, I don't want to impose on their generosity right now. When I do go, I'm going to bring them a treat.

*shhhh*

lans said:
Will HL2 support flinching/animation blending/key-frame animation or whatever it's called. Basically, will the soldier act as though they got "hurt" when shot?
Many, many people have asked Valve about this, and I'm quite sure it was confirmed at least once that enemies WILL react to being shot. I have no idea what method they'll use to do this (the one most commonly asked about is the blending of ragdoll animation and keyframe animation, shown in some of the Havok 2 demonstration videos, and I think it was said that this feature is NOT a part of source, since they are using code based on Havok 1), but I'd say you can rest assured that enemies will react to being shot. You might want to read through the valve info thread, I'm sure it's got one or two mentions in there somewhere.