[WIP] City13

He is referring to my idea of scaling the train track model.

Sorry didn't mean to confuse. If you really wanted it to look right you should probably build it with the mod tool to your specifications.

yeah, Ive never used the model tools so was hoping somebody would make it for me.

The Dark Elf said:
yeah cause it'll add another seven hours wont it.. couple or so extra brushes grouped together as a func_detail :rolleyes:
A mapper's job is pay attention to content and style which affect both the ambience and gameplay of a map. Sloppy mapping will throw the balance off towards to much ambience (visuals, sounds, lighting) and forget abot the gameplay side. It's obvious that this guy has a decent PC, but it's not the case for everyone. Mappers need to cater for the full range of specs that a player could have, not just top-end PCs.

If when a mapper always throws in those extra few verticies they soon add up to increased wpolys (or epolys for grouped brush entities) which do affect performance. It's better to take the middle ground and then improve it later if you feel it's really needed, but for a detail that's barely noticable, in a dark and relatively unimportant part of the map with low traffic, a better mapper will weigh up what's important and what's not.

It's not just a question about compile speeds but also the real-time wpoly and epoly levels. For me the worst comment I'd want to receive is "Yeah it's really pretty but I don't play it because it just chugs up my system", which is what could happen if the decision for style over content is made every time you get to a similar problem. That's just my advice, you don't have to agree with it.

Back