WIP: Desert Eagle

Dalith

Reaction score
Working on a Desert Eagle.
Using the same technique as IchI on his VTM's.

Is this a good start? Maybe too many polygons wasted. :|

DesertEagle.jpg

looking cool, front of it looks very long i know the desert eagle is mean't to be might just be the angle. great start :) :cheers:

eddie500 said:
looking cool, front of it looks very long i know the desert eagle is mean't to be might just be the angle. great start :) :cheers:
No, it's pretty much exactly the right length. However, the grip/handle does look a little thin, you might want to widen it a little.

Not really a ballistics expert – but looks like a good start. Don’t think too many triangles have been wasted – though you’d get a better idea once the model is finished – then you could optimise it easily anyways.

Nice to see people using my technique. I am actually going to redo the VTM on a different weapon because I can add in other things people don't know :p I could also maybe explain it a little better. I am a bit of a perfectionist :p

Any chance you could do it on an SMG, and maybe this time show the texture methods aswell :O, if you can im shore people would gain an extreme amount from this!!!

It was much thinner before, so I resized it to the reference pictures I have so it's pretty accurate to those at least, will see when I'm done with whole gun first. :p

@SillyBilly
For about 2hours.

Kupix: I'm sorta thinking about makeing a vtm about unwraping.... on the way to texturing...

I need some help.
I can't find a reference picture of the backside of the gun, where that cock thingie or what it's called is located.

I would be really happy if someone could help me find a pic of it.

Darnit!

I ran into a problem, it wont let me delete the edge that I have selected. It's useless there since it's a flat surface. Someone please help me.

problem1.jpg

yes you cant delet thos it doesnt really matter though, you need that because it connects to that hole that you have there. dont worry about it.

Thanks waedoe.

Here's a small update.
Still need a pic of the backside.

wip.jpg

Very nice job, but you have the rear sight the wrong way round. The 'wall' of it is towards the back, while the 'slope' faces forward.

I'll try and get some shots of the back of my airsoft model.

Okay, here's one for you. You should ignore the seams, since they're replicas and need to be made from individual parts,

Thanks alot for the picture abom!

About the rear sight, I did that on purpes just for now.

SidewinderX143

SidewinderX143, defantly do a UV tutorial please :)

@kupix
Please use PM's instead.

Anyways, I think I'm done.
Eagle.png

Eagle2.png

FPS.png

Left.png

Left_Slide.png

traingles.png

looks pretty good, for future reference dont indent the barrel at the end of the gun, you will never see it ingame.

Thanks.

Oki..
I hope someone will make tutorials on how to add these and animate these guns into HL2 later on.

nice work dalith... looks good! how long did that take you?

-merc

Thanks Merc, if I put all together must have been over 10 hours.
First time I modeled this way on my own.

Here's the result after adding smooth groups

122.png

123.png

looks awesome m8! now get that bitch skinned!

Easiest way I find to skin models (in 3Ds Max that is) is to select, say one side of the model’s faces, then detach them to an element – select the element and hide – then select more faces – say along the top of the gun – detach to element and hide once more. The idea is to make it so as a ‘flat’ texture can map convincingly on the 3D model. Next step is to create an edit mesh modifier and add it to your modifier stack, and select each element in a view port and rotate and move your bits until they be flat. – move verts if you have to (so no faces overlap – and for the love of gravy don’t weld any verts either – use vertex snap). After that add a UVM map modifier and select plain – so you are working with a flat… erm – plain. Resize the gismo until it is a perfect square and covers the entire object. Now add a UVW unrap modifier – click edit and take a screenshot of the layout – paste into Photoshop and crop until it is the size of the boarder square. – Now turn off first the UVW map modifier then the edit mesh modifier. Convert the model to an editable mesh, thus collapsing the stack and weld those verts back together! Then hit M and select a new diffuse map, select a new bitmap and select your map from Photoshop (which by now you’ll have edited and will look lovely!) – apply it to your model and renderfi!

Oh, just seen the post about SidewinderX143's video tutorial... hmmm - well if you can't be bother downloading it just follow the above and you'll do fine ;) lol

@Recoil
Thanks, wasen't going for precision as you can see the "aim" thingie isn't the original either.

@SillyBilly
I tried downloading it and I have the altest QuickTime Player but it still wont work :(

Must be a codec issue - ask Sidewinder if he'd be willing to convert it to some other file format - or use a different codec to compress it with - but if you're having trouble still try http://www.3dluvr.com/ - the best 3D site... erm... ever! :bounce:

Back