(WIP)face

operative x

Reaction score
The model does not have any mesh errors, those are just my weird shadows:( But it does have an error on the ear as you can see, but its a WIP face so give me your crits so it can be better!! thanks!

man_face.JPG

The actual structure of the model is very mad. I can tell straight away you have cirlce modelled it. If there is such a thing :p You need to try and be more structured with your edges and give your model a flow. I will see if I can find a good wireframe of a face because nearly all faces have certain flows and ways the edges can bend around the face. Its very hard to make faces and though your render does not look that bad. The structure is way to messy. Try looking at your self in the mirror and thinking about how you could move things around and get rid of unused edges and verts. Remember if you have a polgon with more than 5 sides and you have it at different elvels on your axis the 3d program will always calculate shadows in triangles so when you have a polgon with more than 5 sides the triangles are automatically added and sometimes can create unwanted effects.

I agree with IchI, you need a more natural flow of faces. Lots of 5 or more sided polygons can bring indesired effects, even if you don't animate it.
Make some more edgeloops, to create a more natural flow.

The mesh doesn't flow with the contours of the face. Those edge loops mentioned in that monster head tutorial you tried before, you should work more that way and try keep everything as quads, though in my experience its often hard to avoid a couple of three point polys, so stick them right up behind the ear, or inside the nostrils or somewhere that wont be seen so easily. Ask yourself, could this animate, short answer no, not very well atall, area's which should bend, can't.

Personally I'd suggest modeling with the point by point method, its slower and its the hardest method, BUT, it teaches you a lot about head modeling and its a great technique to learn as you have complete control over your mesh then.

operative x said:
what do you mean 'point by point' modeling? :O
modeling point by point, no box modeling, no splines, just building up from the first point to the last, creating polygons as you go.. The CG equivalent of programming in binary, only nowhere near as complicated :). Gives you complete control though and well worth getting to grips with

yea.... i wanna know what point to point modeling is as well :)

It sounds like tons of work, and believe me, I was put off by the method for years, but when I tried it I found it surprisingly simple. It just sounds a bit daunting "omg! modeling an entire head point by point! you gotta be kidding me!" but its not as bad as it seems. With complete control over what goes where and how the mesh is built up, you have to intentionally screw up for it to go wrong.

Best way I like to do it. Is create your sketches, side, front, top, or whatever you happen to need. Then use splines to draw out the general shape of it. Keep them in another layer or otherwise unselectable. Then start to build up your model point by point. Usually starting with the eye and building up from there. For most of the head you can duplicate points and create large flat polygons (still only using quads mind) then cut those, either by slicing them or adding new edges, and creating the right shapes, welding points together from new sections until you've got one side of the head done, and a space where the ear will go (always do your ears separately as you'll find it easier to deal with them) then weld the ear to the head, mirror it, weld the points in the center and your done

I incorporate that method with shortcuts that I learn along the way :)

Point by point modeling is very simple really, but mostly only useable for faces.
It actually works very quick, imho faster than splines or box modeling.

hey, yeah ive come into this discussion a little late :p. anyways, do what Ichi says, he knows all :p.

i just finished the head from that Joan of Arc tutorial, its turned out pretty well, check out the 'help me with my male' thread. that tut looks like a lot of work, like Fenric said, at first it looks daunting, but after a while, you get into the flow, and you finish it in no time. i did that whole head in about 3, 2-3hr sittings and for my first head...i was impressed !

hmmmm im not sure how to do point by point modeling with maya:( Fenric you said that you have Maya right? what tool would i use?

@Ichi= I am trying to get into more of face modeling, i want to learn how to make faces like in hl2:) Not really the whole body, but just the face:)

operative x said:
hmmmm im not sure how to do point by point modeling with maya:( Fenric you said that you have Maya right? what tool would i use?

@Ichi= I am trying to get into more of face modeling, i want to learn how to make faces like in hl2:) Not really the whole body, but just the face:)
the polygon tool, build up your quads with that. Use the split poly tool for cutting them up, always making sure they have no more and no less than 4 points per poly

do i have to do it in that spiral way like in the monster tutorial?are you sure its better than the box method?

I had a go at the method used to create the body in the Joan of Arc Tutorial. I use maya though, so things were a bit different. Is there a way to do the NURMS smoothing in Maya? I added in the edges along the front,back and sides of the leg and when I smoothed it, the leg still had quite a squarish cross section and just looked fairly different to the tutorial.

Seems like it may be relevant here as it may be better for when you finally smooth out the head.

Back