WIP invasion

Audiophile said:
D-Day?

hot idea

yup, once i get the bunkers finished, lighting to work, and some obstacles on the beach i should be finished, tried making the metal obstacles like in the real one but for some reason it was taking me a very long time to compile even tho i only placed a few so i am trying to think of what props i could put on there.

change the fog color to that of the lowest sky color. Looks weird fading to white like that without the sky matching.

The Dark Elf said:
change the fog color to that of the lowest sky color. Looks weird fading to white like that without the sky matching.

thanks for the advice :) , Is there a way to make invisible barrier? and how do i get the light_environment to work, ive placed it in the map but it does not cast shadows or anything?

gokumike said:
thanks for the advice :) , Is there a way to make invisible barrier? and how do i get the light_environment to work, ive placed it in the map but it does not cast shadows or anything?
point the light_environment in the direction you want the light to go. Remember to run RAD to get the light calculated.

If you want realtime shadows you need to use the shadow entity and match its angles with that of the light_env

invisible barriers, use an invisible texture, nodraw works

and if you put cookies in your map, it bakes those too :afro:

it's good that your enthusiastic, but i'd suggest not releasing this, and just use it as a learning experience.

you should deff start smaller, especially since your just starting.

as for you map, it's a great start. nice to see someone starting with just a little more then a box! do be careful thou, especially with brushes intersecting.

try making thoes hedghogs a function detail, it'll stop them from cutting up the portals, and lower your compile time.

also use some displacment maps on the beach and hills, it'll give it a much more fluid/realistic feel.

and good luck with it! just don't to far ahead of yourself.

TyrantII said:
it's good that your enthusiastic, but i'd suggest not releasing this, and just use it as a learning experience.

you should deff start smaller, especially since your just starting.

as for you map, it's a great start. nice to see someone starting with just a little more then a box! do be careful thou, especially with brushes intersecting.

try making thoes hedghogs a function detail, it'll stop them from cutting up the portals, and lower your compile time.

also use some displacment maps on the beach and hills, it'll give it a much more fluid/realistic feel.

and good luck with it! just don't to far ahead of yourself.

what are dispacement maps? and thanks for the awsome advice :)

dude, go all out and release it even if it is your first map. Just realise that it will take time.

displacement maps are basically a terrain maker.

Go to your texture applicator and click on the face you want to make terrain. click on the displacement tab. Click the create button and then choose 2,3,4 for the power. The higher the number, the more detailedyour terrain. Now, click paint geometry and then you can raise or lower individual vertices.

There is also a button for "Noise" which just makes random pits and mounds in a face to make it look more real.

Keep in mind though, once you make a face a displacement, it no longer will seal the map from leaks. Put a "Nodraw" brush behind your disp. to seal it.

Triggerhappy41 said:
displacement maps are basically a terrain maker.

Go to your texture applicator and click on the face you want to make terrain. click on the displacement tab. Click the create button and then choose 2,3,4 for the power. The higher the number, the more detailedyour terrain. Now, click paint geometry and then you can raise or lower individual vertices.

There is also a button for "Noise" which just makes random pits and mounds in a face to make it look more real.

Keep in mind though, once you make a face a displacement, it no longer will seal the map from leaks. Put a "Nodraw" brush behind your disp. to seal it.

ahh ok thanks :)

lol i like how the green makes it kinda funny, but if you want a better effect, I would make the fog the same color as the skybox. looking good tho.

Back