Wood...

StickFigs

Reaction score
Has anyone sent an email to Gabe Newell asking if you need to program the wood to break? I had my hopes up for dynamic wood and all...

If not I'M gonna send an email to him! :D

yeah send one, i would like to know this aswell, he only needs to typed yes or no back to you, as he seems to do on most replies.

The points where wood breaks are all determined by the mapper.

Basically you can't have "truly simulated wood" but you can simulate simulated wood...

EDIT: For all you headcrabs, please go through the valve info thread at the top of the generals forum. It will have any info you are looking for that is confirmed by valve and info that you weren't looking for but will find intresting.

Moral: "READ THE VALVE INFO THREAD!"

Well you post and post and spend time on the forum and then you advance in rank. First is zombie then ant lion then prowler then hydra then strider then Combine if i'm not mistaken.

I sent an email... hope Gabe responds...

EDIT: You missed Hydra.

i send a crapload of posts and spend a crapload of time here and never passed headcrab! not that its important, but, i dont like headcrabs ;(

edit: yay, zombie!! i fell better already

and this is what's called the VALVE INFO THREAD.

you can find it STICKIED AT THE TOP OF THE FORUM.

On the E3 video, the commentator says something like: "Texturing and physics is based around materials: If it looks like wood, it sounds like wood, and it breaks like wood."

Originally posted by Crusader
On the E3 video, the commentator says something like: "Texturing and physics is based around materials: If it looks like wood, it sounds like wood, and it breaks like wood."

No it's "and if you shoot it, it will fragment like wood" which can mean anything.

me too, i wish i could see how many posts i have made, and how many i need to become, mutt, Mr Freeman

great this isnt the "im a headcrab" thread

anyway, i really hope almost ALL wood such as wooden boxes and small stuff can be broken. i would assume that almost all can be broken except stuff that has to stay so you can progress in the game

when u have the sdk the power to make things breakable will be in your hands. but if you make too many things breakable, of course you will get slowdowns.

Only if they all break at once. I doubt it will check whether things are breakable unless they actually get hit.

You assign the wood texture to an object, it has properties of wood. It can be smashed, blown apart, etc. Properties of objects are dependent on textures.

I'm guessing that there is smashable wood for objects and impenetrable wood for walls, etc. But it would be cool to blow the side of a wooden house off with a grenade.

Hey stop insulting us headcrabes...we just dont have time to sit infront of the comp for 5 hours typing on the forums, i spend those 5 hours of comp time spread out doing different things like games... :)

Anyways, there might be a "automatic programing" option for the map editor thing (forget the name) that automatically puts spread out break spots on all wood and other destructable objects u make.

Edit: O cool i just relaized im a zombie now! YES!!! lol :cheers:

Originally posted by InsertNameHere
You assign the wood texture to an object, it has properties of wood. It can be smashed, blown apart, etc. Properties of objects are dependent on textures.

I'm guessing that there is smashable wood for objects and impenetrable wood for walls, etc. But it would be cool to blow the side of a wooden house off with a grenade.

BUZZ. Incorrect. It can only be blown apart if you give it break points or set it to be destructable. Please read the info that Valve has ALREADY GIVEN us.

Hmm...maybe you should pay more attention. Gabe has already said that giving an object a texture in the map editor give the object that texture's associated properties. Damage/break points are irrelevant; most objects can be destroyed. Watch traptown, and the Combine with the MP-7 shreds a piece of sheet metal at the edge of the roof.

Yeah, and the sheet metal breaks at it's specified points.

Originally posted by InsertNameHere
Hmm...maybe you should pay more attention. Gabe has already said that giving an object a texture in the map editor give the object that texture's associated properties. Damage/break points are irrelevant; most objects can be destroyed. Watch traptown, and the Combine with the MP-7 shreds a piece of sheet metal at the edge of the roof.

Destroying an object and fragmenting it are two different things. Destroying an object (Like the sheet metal) just removed the object entirely and has some metal "confetti" appear, whereas what this thread is talking about is the fragmentation of wood, as seen in the tech-demo. Valve has already said that the wood can only be fragmented in predetermined spots. It is NOT dynamic.

Sincerely,
Jeremy Dunn

If you want to check how many posts you've made, simply search for your name using the "members" button and then at the bottom of your profile hit the "search for all posts by this user" button and you can do some math to figure out how far you are from 100/200/300 (milestones) posts.

I am led to believe there are two ways of dealing with your wood when mapping (get that mind out of the gutter). I'm not sure where I got this info from, maybe I just made it up, but I seem to remember this being mentioned somewhere. And it makes sense too.

You create your breakable entity and apply the wood material. From here you can...

1. Specify desired break points for when it is shot.

or

2. Set a flag to let the engine choose some itself.

When shooting the wooded object in game it will break at the specified points, not where you shoot it. If the second option was chosen, the break points will most likely be randomly generated at compile.

Like I said, I cannot substantiate these theories* but any programmers / mappers would probably agree it makes sense.

* having said that, watch the techdemo video and you will see the wood break at locations the bullets do not hit. Therefore the breaks are not location specific.

Those demos are not the final build!

I'm also sure than someone will make a mod that makes dynamic wood even if it doesn't come with it. I HOPE there will be something in the SDK map builder that randomly generates breaking points on wood! That would be KINDA close to what I want.

there are gonna be so many maps that people make that are gonna go at 1fps with breakable everything lol.

Hmm.. Looking at the tech demo again I never saw the wood break where it wasn't hit..

Back