Worried About The Weapons

Chicky

Reaction score
As we have all seen in the videos it seems as gordon cant hold as many weapons as he used to with the suit. I for one will be very dissapointed if i cant hold all the weapons at once. I know the videos are old but it still worries me. (and dont say did u search cause i did)

Uh.. well, did you ever think about it this way: Having different weapons and limit on how many you can carry sets new problems, like choosing what weapon should I take. It adds to the game experience, now you don't just run around, killing everyone with everything you got, but you actually think which weapon to take, which weapon to use, which weapon will be more helpful in the future.

they said they are toying with different weapons systems for how many you can hold etc.

i wish people would stop worrying about things....... i trust valve to make a great game, if you dont, dont buy it the day it comes out or until you ahve read every review there is to read. i personally will be getting it the day it comes out and loving it because its even better than the original (hopefully and most probably)

Kam

Originally posted by Mr.Reak
Uh.. well, did you ever think about it this way: Having different weapons and limit on how many you can carry sets new problems, like choosing what weapon should I take. It adds to the game experience, now you don't just run around, killing everyone with everything you got, but you actually think which weapon to take, which weapon to use, which weapon will be more helpful in the future.

yes that did occur to me but they could also add to it by limiting the ammo and making it harder to find. And id rather have all the weapons than not i guess its just me but i loved that in hl

Originally posted by Kamakazie
they said they are toying with different weapons systems for how many you can hold etc.

i wish people would stop worrying about things....... i trust valve to make a great game, if you dont, dont buy it the day it comes out or until you ahve read every review there is to read. i personally will be getting it the day it comes out and loving it because its even better than the original (hopefully and most probably)

Kam

this is the only thing that worries me but wait impulse 101 might be present ;)

Gabe said they were experimenting with how many weapons you can hold, he also said he liked being able to carry around an entire armory in your pocket..so perhaps it could turn out like HL 1...just gotta wait and see.

This was in one of the interviews that was posted on PLanet Half-Life. The Player will be able to hold all of the weapons at one time, but at the time of the build the system wasn't finished yet.

Originally posted by Chicky
yes that did occur to me but they could also add to it by limiting the ammo
HL1 didn't have unlimited ammo...
Like Kamakazie and Mr. Reak said - Valve are playing with the current inventory and so we could see some very interesting weapon management system going on. That could be really interesting and add a nice aspect to the game. Honestly, I bet there were weapons in the original you hardly ever used, so it's a similar thing here. Mess about and decide which ones you like best. Great.

well think about HL1 for a sec. I remember I used the lil sub-machine gun all the time but there were parts in the game where there was just no ammo for it so I was forced to use the shotgun.

Same with the shotgun.

so really it's kinda like the same thing if you just can't carry the sub-machinegun at all or if you can't carry teh shotgun. They just made it so that you arn't carrying it instead of you are carrying it but can't use it because the lack of ammo.

Originally posted by El_Chi
HL1 didn't have unlimited ammo...
Like Kamakazie and Mr. Reak said - Valve are playing with the current inventory and so we could see some very interesting weapon management system going on. That could be really interesting and add a nice aspect to the game. Honestly, I bet there were weapons in the original you hardly ever used, so it's a similar thing here. Mess about and decide which ones you like best. Great.

i know ill prob use the manipulator the most ill prob spend multiple hours screwing around with the phyiscs. and there was only one or 2 guns i dint use

I wanna complete the entire game using JUST the manipulator - oh baby :E
Yeah, I never used the tripmines and only very rarely used the satchel charges (although they were cool) And I only really took advantage of the Colt and crossbow after re-playing the game through. Plus I was reluctant to use up the ammo for the Gauss and Egon guns...

Loads of games have you deciding what weapons to carry and what not to carry. Deus Ex, System Shock, Giants, Vice City to name but a very few.

Here comes Halo fanboys, thinking Halo invented FPS itself. Amazing...

Yay! Giants was one of the funniest games ever, EVER.
Giants, Monkey Island series, Sam & Max, Day of the Tentacle, No-One Lives Forever - all hilarious.
Oh, sorry this has nowt to do with weapons.
Well, Giants and NOLF had great weapons. Sorry. So very sorry.

<Guffaws>
"Mr Baz! Mr Baz!! I need my pills Mr Baz!!"

"WHAT THE F**K IS A KABUTO!?"
Arf.

Originally posted by Hydrac
they're just copying halo!

Oh yeah...crap...and we cant do a 3d game cuz Quake already did that...umm...text based...nope...hmmm...

I hope they limit the weapons, somewhat at least. Say 1 Heavy (grenade launch, rocket launch, various other means of causing explosive death), 2 mediums (shotgun, machine gun, etc.), 3 small weapons (pistols, basically). Oh, and the crowbar all the time. Dig the crowbar.

:afro:

Well, ValvedRay, even though you hate me we can at least agree on Giants.
And yeah The Duke - you gotta dig the crowbar. Brother.

I hope they limit the weapons, somewhat at least. Say 1 Heavy (grenade launch, rocket launch, various other means of causing explosive death), 2 mediums (shotgun, machine gun, etc.), 3 small weapons (pistols, basically). Oh, and the crowbar all the time. Dig the crowbar.
with all that weight, I hope we can still make use of the jump button :p that got me to something.. didn't Gabe say depending on all the weapons you're carrying, it can limit running speed/jumping/drown quicker? :p

I prefer a balance of weapons, like in Halo. Carrying around every weapon could be fun, but I like balancing 2 or 3 weapons better.

Carrying all the weapons at once should be an option for multiplayer too though.

Originally posted by Mr.Reak
Here comes Halo fanboys, thinking Halo invented FPS itself. Amazing...

Fanboys, fanboys... whatever. It's just a matter of liking something particularly. I like the balancing of weapons.

And I personally never said Halo invented the FPS itself, it did perfect certain aspects well though.

IF indeed Half-Life 2 has a weapon limit, it would be better IMO. We'll see.

Originally posted by PSX
with all that weight, I hope we can still make use of the jump button :p that got me to something.. didn't Gabe say depending on all the weapons you're carrying, it can limit running speed/jumping/drown quicker? :p

Sounds good.

Originally posted by PSX

hopefully it wont be that reallistic... i remember always having an impulse to jump in Raven Shield, but never could... ;(

You didn't say it, but Hydrac did. He thinks that Halo invented it, like it did co-op, so on. Maybe for console market it did, but PC did it way before.

dident u see he threw them down when he was out of ammo it might auto happen

If they have any of that Half-life feeling left there won't be harder to jump with a lot of weapons, because HL1 was very much about jumping...

Originally posted by HL2 Stone
dident u see he threw them down when he was out of ammo it might auto happen
Nope. Both times he drops his weapon to pick up a new one, he hasn't run out of ammo.

oh... im wrong opps sorry - (eh a guess) mayge the more guns you have the slower u can walk around... you dont want to bog yourself down so drop what u can when u can?

I hope to god you can carry all the weapons. Or at least 1 of each type or something. If it's like CS I'll barf because HL is not CS! Keep it the way it is!!

carry all weapons and does not slow you down just like old times

I hope to god you can carry all the weapons. Or at least 1 of each type or something. If it's like CS I'll barf because HL is not CS! Keep it the way it is!!

that would suck soo bad... one grenade, one assault rifle and a sidearm, a little to skimp; you could have at least twice that around your body and still walk fast in real life

Back