XBOX HD from 8GB to 300GB ????

Ninja_Gaiden

Reaction score
hey guys I wanted to know if I change my XBOX HD to 300GB will it works or not
also do anyone know agood website showing the steps in changeing hard disk in photos.
I read in a website that I need a need BIOS to make my xbox show 300GB else its will show 140GB only is that true???????????? if so where can I find al the files which will help me.

hmm, I think I post it in the wrong place if so move it to another place else help me with my questions

You have to resolder on a new bios chip to the board, and then put the new hdd in using a guide. Not something for the meak.

And if you use xbox Live, don't even bother. Microsoft will detect that you've modified your xbox and will promptly shut down your account.

EDIT: And correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the xbox's hdd 8 MB?

sinkoman said:
...mb? Hell no. Its 8 or 10 gb. Not your night is it :)

sinkoman said:
You have to resolder on a new bios chip to the board, and then put the new hdd in using a guide. Not something for the meak.

And if you use xbox Live, don't even bother. Microsoft will detect that you've modified your xbox and will promptly shut down your account.

On my xbox hd I can hold a 4-5 gb game. I have the oldest version of xbox though. I dunno if they upped the HD size. There's numerous partitions on it some of them being almost a gig.

I softmodded my xbox by following tutorials from www.xbox-scene.com (I didn't wanna get a modchip and I don't have an Action Replay dealy).

I'm sure they have tutorials for changing HD's too.

A mod chip will do it. My friend has a 20 Gig for his XBOX.

the x-box hard drive is 10 gigabytes.

to increase the hard disk capacity (depending on the version of xbox you have) you'll need to put a mod chip in the unit. if you have a 1.1 - 1.5 (i think) you can get a 'xapter', which is basically a solderless adapter and makes the whole process a lot easier.

once the mod chip is installed you have to flash the bios of the mod chip and contrary to the posts above if you get an xecuter 2.6 mod chip it has a switch so you can turn the mod chip on and off (i.e. still being able to use xbox live).

once you've got your mod chip up and running (with a bios that supports the size hard disk you want) install your hard drive and 'clone' the data from your original drive onto it so it thinks its the same drive.

all of this is of course illegal though, so this thread will probably get deleted, and such, but search google for 'team xecuter' and 'xbox mods' and ye' will find what you're looking for...

Changing the XBox's harddrive will make Xbox Live not work. So if your wanting to play on Xbox live i wouldn't change your HD.

And what would you need 300 gbs for?! heck, thats 5 times more space than I have for my computer!

OmegaX said:
Changing the XBox's harddrive will make Xbox Live not work. So if your wanting to play on Xbox live i wouldn't change your HD.

It works fine for me.

You will need to unlock your original drive in a pc to get a code. Use this code to lock the replacement HD and XBOX live will work fine. Just make sure the modchip is disabled when you log on to live or you'll get banned.

I didn't change mine for capacity reasons, speed more than anything else. The replacement is a damn sight quieter too.

hey craig how should I know what kind of mod chip in my XBOX cus my XBOX is used I bought it from another person and in my country 90% of the xbox in the shops have mod chip so i dont need to install it so i dont know what kind is it....
So how do i know and if my xbox versionis old so i cant change my 8GB HD to 300GB HD???

guchi said:
And what would you need 300 gbs for?! heck, thats 5 times more space than I have for my computer!
I want to play sega, SNES, N64, mame, NeoGeo and PSX games games on it also I can play xbox games from HD no need to burn games on DVD and faster loading

craig said:
the x-box hard drive is 10 gigabytes.

to increase the hard disk capacity (depending on the version of xbox you have) you'll need to put a mod chip in the unit. if you have a 1.1 - 1.5 (i think) you can get a 'xapter', which is basically a solderless adapter and makes the whole process a lot easier.

once the mod chip is installed you have to flash the bios of the mod chip and contrary to the posts above if you get an xecuter 2.6 mod chip it has a switch so you can turn the mod chip on and off (i.e. still being able to use xbox live).

once you've got your mod chip up and running (with a bios that supports the size hard disk you want) install your hard drive and 'clone' the data from your original drive onto it so it thinks its the same drive.

all of this is of course illegal though, so this thread will probably get deleted, and such, but search google for 'team xecuter' and 'xbox mods' and ye' will find what you're looking for...

Yeah, I read a story in EGM about the xecuter 2.6, only that was if you were going to install linux on it also. I didn't realise it could be used for just an hdd upgrade.

you can get a mod chip with a switch that changes from moded xbox to origional to allow online play

sinkoman said:

You are right, it is 8 MB, unlike what people think. It was clearly stated on Call for Help (G4 TechTv), and on a few modding sites.

Ninja_Gaiden said:
hey craig how should I know what kind of mod chip in my XBOX cus my XBOX is used I bought it from another person and in my country 90% of the xbox in the shops have mod chip so i dont need to install it so i dont know what kind is it....
So how do i know and if my xbox versionis old so i cant change my 8GB HD to 300GB HD???

Search engines really are your friend...

http://www.xbox-scene.com/tutorials.php

sinkoman said:
Yeah, I read a story in EGM about the xecuter 2.6, only that was if you were going to install linux on it also. I didn't realise it could be used for just an hdd upgrade.

The xecuter 2.6 is a fully fledged mod chip. You can use it to change the dash, change the hdd, run xbox games on the hdd (or on DVD-Rs), run roms, and video/music content (via XBMC) from your XBOX... basically my XBOX pwnz joo!

jmjneary said:
you can get a mod chip with a switch that changes from moded xbox to origional to allow online play

Yeah.. the xecuter 2.6 has a switch and so does basically every mod chip in existence.

Note the mod chip switch on the (right side of the xbox) left side of the picture.. (the green light):

maxbox.jpg

I dont have that green light, I dont have anything in that side and I dont have that 2 things near the green light in the right as in i see it in the picture
I will try to post a picture of my xbox so u can see it and I havent seen any xbox have that green light?????????????????

I have checked the website and i have found many things will help me thanks

hmmm..
guys I have downloaded Auto-Installer.Deluxe.v2.0.Xbox-Hq and SlaYers_EvoX_Auto-Installer_v2.6_FINAL.exe
so are they same things or each one is different and which is the best for the XBOX ????

Get Avalaunch or UnleashX. I'm not a big fan of EvoX. I can send you everything you need if you want me to.

HaZe89 said:
Get Avalaunch or UnleashX. I'm not a big fan of EvoX. I can send you everything you need if you want me to.

Is is better than EvoX, first time to hear about Avalaunch or UnleashX so are they better than EvoX????

evox is only useful setting up an xbox (format/install software) and unleashx is good all round though xbmc is quite good as a dashboard.

Pesmerga, why you thought the xbox was 80gb i have no idea . . .

also, xbox's have either 8 or 10 gb hard drives.

hey guys do think 300GB will work on xbox or its will show only small part of the HD and do u think maxtor 300GB fine or should I use another HD brand????????????

you can use 300gb you just need to enable g drive with your mod, and maxtor is fine.

Ninja_Gaiden said:
thanks for help but... hmm what do you mean by

????????????????????????

What could you possibly need 300gb for in an Xbox?

I wanted to know if i put a game in the hard disk for example like HALO can I play xboxlive from the HD or I need to use the original game DVD ?????

Ninja_Gaiden said:
I wanted to know if i put a game in the hard disk for example like HALO can I play xboxlive from the HD or I need to use the original game DVD ?????

You'd need the original game dvd, because to play online you'd need to shut off your hacks, which means no online halo.

I'd assume that though :p.

In that case I think I will not be able to play online because I dont have a switch to turn the mod ship off and on is there is another way to turn it off and on??

Back