YF-22 Lightning II (W.I.P)

CommandoSR

Reaction score
I have been working on this for a while, it's for the Commando mod.
yf22.jpg

yf22_11.jpg

yf22_15.jpg

yf22_12.jpg

yf22_14.jpg

yf22_13.jpg

Rear tire looks sporked but other than that i like it ;0)

yeah its good work so far ....this is a really hard plane to model since they dont actualy let out too many images of it ....the amo bay where the rockets are is top secret lol ....

You have smoothing problems, you'll need to model the undercarriage bay doors, sort out the engine nozzles, etc. But it is a wip, so i will forgive you :).

Actually, this is my first model.
Exhaust, landing equipment and such are not done yet.. smoothing and poly errors will be worked out eventually.

F-22 images are not that useful because there are several differences with the YF-22 and F-22, most notable ones being the shape of the wings and the position of inlets. I have many close up photos of the YF-22 to use as reference, so that isn't certainly a problem :)

As Sir Pheonixx said, there are plenty of photos about it, and it is the F/A-22 Raptor.

I have even had the pleasure of seeing on land while I was at a stoplight in front of Langley AFB on my way to NASA. Pretty. Very Pretty.

But he says he's specifically trying to model the Lightning, not the Raptor, don't ask why.

Nice model of the best looking plane ever :)

The YF-22 was the prototype variant that competed with the YF-23, Sidewinder. The F/A-22 is the version going into production.

They're both still F-22's, but with only a couple minor visual differences like the shape of the trailing edge of the horizontal tail fin.

You're basically repeating what I said.. :|
However, if I want to make a specific model, I will mostly use references applicable only that model. Eg. If I wanted to make a M2A1 Bradley, I will use M2A1 photos instead of M2A2 photos.

I've found a better YF-22 blueprint to work around with so expect some more updates soon. The old one had some vague lines, leaving several things up to guesses.

Razor said:
The YF-22 was the prototype variant that competed with the YF-23, Sidewinder. The F/A-22 is the version going into production.

I know. I was never confused about that. I'm not sure where you thought I was confuxsed I said F/A-22 because that is the aircraft that now exists. The YF-22 was a prototype arecraft that sits in a hanger right now.

Sorry, i thought that when you said

"As Sir Pheonixx said, there are plenty of photos about it, and it is the F/A-22 Raptor."

That you thought that he had confused the name of the aircraft or something.

Back