Your Favorite Game Ending (PC or console)

AmishSlayer said:
MGS1 & 2 (a couple of the best stories ever) Although I could've done without the very last twist in the end of 2...it just seemed to be overdone at that point. Everything up until then was just plain amazing.

Actually, the last twist is pretty much crucial to get Hideo Kojima's points across to the player. The first MGS's main theme was how human beings are determined based on biological factors i.e. genes. The second MGS's theme was how human beings are determind by memes, which is a unit of cultural information, or a cultural practise or idea. So the this theme was how society affected how a person could end up being like. Think about this if you ever play through the game again, you'll see how it wasn't just tacked on at the end for the hell of it.

For more information: http://junkerhq.net/MGS2/ This goes to show just how damned intelligent this game really is, as well as Hideo Kojima.

Just a little interesting side note, the theme for MGS3 will apparently be how certain situations, or "scenes", affect who we are.

Meme
Gene
Scene

Har har, Hideo Kojima r teh clevar!

Jazz Jackrabbit had an awesome ending. I also liked how Halo ended.
The Longest journey had the most dissapointing ending, I was like "uh, this is it? dude, that's pretty stupid"
I mean, how can the mot powerful forces in the whole universe make a mistake?

well, probably because I'm playing the game right now, and if you saw the other topic I made about it.. I kinda liked Oni's ending. It's just begging for a sequel :D

Generally people like the ending on games they like...

KagePrototype said:
Actually, the last twist is pretty much crucial to get Hideo Kojima's points across to the player. The first MGS's main theme was how human beings are determined based on biological factors i.e. genes. The second MGS's theme was how human beings are determind by memes, which is a unit of cultural information, or a cultural practise or idea. So the this theme was how society affected how a person could end up being like. Think about this if you ever play through the game again, you'll see how it wasn't just tacked on at the end for the hell of it.

For more information: http://junkerhq.net/MGS2/ This goes to show just how damned intelligent this game really is, as well as Hideo Kojima.

Just a little interesting side note, the theme for MGS3 will apparently be how certain situations, or "scenes", affect who we are.

Meme
Gene
Scene

Correct me if I'm wrong but the last twist in MGS2 was

the fact that the patriots were all dead

why would that be crucial? Personally I thought the story of MGS2 was pretty much bs.

for example, liquid living on through his arm? or something like that wtf was that all about?

Zapp$ter said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but the last twist in MGS2 was

the fact that the patriots were all dead

I actually forgot about that twist, heh. The second to last one then, before the last boss.

for example, liquid living on through his arm? or something like that wtf was that all about?

Well, it's pretty obvious that MGS has many fantasy elements to it's story. If you could swallow Psycho Mantis or Vamp, I'm sure you should be able to swallow this. :) But otherwise, it's not that big an element to the story anyway, so it could have been left out entirely, which may have been better.

The endings in Street Fighter 2 - loved everyone of them :)

Deus ex- i love the a.i one and blowing the whole place up. And Killing page isnt that bad either. So it wins for having three good endings.

Halo
The REAL thrill was when i finally got to my ride home. The dropship swoops down, evading ships to get to me. and remember this is the only human left alive on halo other than me- the pilot. Just as i started to run tawards it, a feeling of sudden horror washed away my hope. Ships swooped down, blasting away and blew my ride home to smithereens. I watched as the rubble glided fell down like stones to the ground below. But instead of weeping, i clenched my fists and looked up. anger burned in my heart as i decided to take as many creeps as posible with me to the grave-

But whats this? apparantly there is another drophip about 5 minutes away. Looking at the 3 minute timer until halo is blown to smithereens, i clenched my teeth. This is going to be one hell of a ride...

So i grinded the bones of my foes under my warthogs wheels as i glideed over the surface of this giant spaceship. bounding over obstacles and smashing through walls i could feel the time running out of my heart. With only 30 seconds to go, i come across a blockade... only one thing to do now.

with the clock running out of time, i run full speed at the drophip. At first i blasted away the opposing troops, but at i watched that counter get lower i dropped my weapons and made a run for it. As i heard the first signs of the halo ring breaking, i jumped inside the drophip and blasted my way off this hell hole. I had done it. I was a hero.

MGS1
I just loved meryls ending. The pure, saddening effect of the heartbreaking metal gear music with the irony of meryl dying created an unforgettable atmosphere to the final car chase... i just really wanted to blow liquids f*cking head off. Snake really did prove that he's more than a killing machine... great ending.

Final fantasy 7
I loved the way that Aries died at the end of disc one. it made the whole "save the world" thing more personal... and made me really kick sephorioths ass that little bit more. And then in the final battle with sephioth, omnislash looked so damn cool (if you hadnt allready seen it, which i hadnt the first time i completed it).

and the actual final scene was great... the way the lifestream saves the world, but at the cost of hundreds of lives... brilliant.

more to come when i think of them :p

fallout had the greatest ending in any videogame ever made, why hasn't anyone mentioned it

Suicide42 said:
Halo
The REAL thrill was when i finally got to my ride home. The dropship swoops down, evading ships to get to me. and remember this is the only human left alive on halo other than me- the pilot. Just as i started to run tawards it, a feeling of sudden horror washed away my hope. Ships swooped down, blasting away and blew my ride home to smithereens. I watched as the rubble glided fell down like stones to the ground below. But instead of weeping, i clenched my fists and looked up. anger burned in my heart as i decided to take as many creeps as posible with me to the grave-

But whats this? apparantly there is another drophip about 5 minutes away. Looking at the 3 minute timer until halo is blown to smithereens, i clenched my teeth. This is going to be one hell of a ride...

So i grinded the bones of my foes under my warthogs wheels as i glideed over the surface of this giant spaceship. bounding over obstacles and smashing through walls i could feel the time running out of my heart. With only 30 seconds to go, i come across a blockade... only one thing to do now.

with the clock running out of time, i run full speed at the drophip. At first i blasted away the opposing troops, but at i watched that counter get lower i dropped my weapons and made a run for it. As i heard the first signs of the halo ring breaking, i jumped inside the drophip and blasted my way off this hell hole. I had done it. I was a hero.
I literally escaped with 1 second left.

Sai said:
fallout had the greatest ending in any videogame ever made, why hasn't anyone mentioned it

oh ye, fallout was good. it wasnt that great.. the only reason it was good at all was because it depended on what you did.

the game is class, loved every second of the first two :)

Damn! I forgot about DN3D.

1. DN3D
2. Half-Life

Id say..

Half Life
Oposing Force
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2
Max Payne 2

I must admit, Cortana's line "You've got to get aboard NOW!" was perhaps the most well done line in all the games I've played. Perfect intonnation and emotion. Got my ass in gear.

FictiousWill said:
I must admit, Cortana's line "You've got to get aboard NOW!" was perhaps the most well done line in all the games I've played. Perfect intonnation and emotion. Got my ass in gear.

I'm a moron. I read over that really quickly and read, "Contra" not Cortana...I was confused as hell until I came back to the thread reading the newest post.

The end of Halo is really dramatic and I liked it. The ending of FFVII had me worried until Advent Children was announced as a sequel.

My friend and I sorta thought that when they explained Holy, they said that the planet chooses what lives and dies...and that humans might be involved in the destruction of all the unhealthy things for the planet. The reasone we sorta thought this was because after the credits, Midgar was just overrun by plants and vines and such, no living soul seemed to be moving...and they showed Red XIII and his 2 kids (I'm assuming - Also assumed that his race wasn't harmful to the planet to begin with).

Now that they've said Advent Children is a sequel...that's a fear that can be put to rest.

Deus Ex: IW

they messed up the end part, but the ending was mad cool anyway

hmmmm .....
Deus Ex
Half-life
KOTOR

Resident Evil code veronica X
although like all the resident evil endings are the same, i actually liked this one. I liked how chris and wekser duked it out on the rooftop, and i like how steve "died". oh god i hates that guy.

KagePrototype said:
There's 3. :|
Wasn't there a 4th one you had to cheat to see?

... or am I remembering something else?

EDIT: Well don't I feel like the idiot? I was searching for something in another window and forgot this was an old thread.

KagePrototype said:

Meme
Gene
Scene

I completley agree, and I also learned a lot of the game going to junkerhq, but I liked the story even before I understood the meme thing.
For me it was like, in the game you had the patriots and they provided nice and clean and easy to understand (and totally rewritten offcourse)info and a lot of people complained that the ending sucked and was messy and incoherent, but those same people clame that they are smart and are for freedom of info and like to think for themselfes, and yet when Hideo gave em an ending that didn't explain everything and you had to think for yourself and he didn't create contex they complained, it just a little bit sad and Ironic to see, but that is what made it so brilliant, i think Hideo actually wanted to see how most of the humans were, and unfortunatly this is what happend. It just shows how immature or ignorant the gaming world still is. If this was a movie or a book it would have been considerd a classic.

Anyways I also liked the ending of Halo and Prince of Persia.

RYU - doing his dragon punch in a freezing cold waterfall like the hard dude that he is.

I liked the Halo ending, and the ending to Halo 2 (yes, I know it's a cliff hanger, but it was kinda good for suspense, you gotta admit). The MGS2 ending was good, I agree, if not a little long though...

Oh, and the ending to Knights of the Old Republic was a classic too.

KagePrototype said:

Meme
Gene
Scene

That site does make things more clear. If the game wasn't trying to get an overall point across like that...then I think the game didn't need that twist in.

I like how MGS games have a bit of the supernatural involved. It makes the story seem that much more interesting. It also makes for good boss battles. It's nice to have realism...but when the end boss is realistic (ex. Far Cry's boss dies just like a normal guy) it's no fun. I like the challenge of dealing with special bosses.

Personally i thought halo's ending was pretty generic.

but i have to say i hated the ending of FFX, it actually made me regret spending all that time on the game and having to put up with Tidus (ARRGH such a whiney little bitch, i often had him die delibratly)
I can't say the best right of the top of my head, let me think first

Max Payne
Max Payne 2
Grand Theft Auto III
Final Fantasy VIII
KOTOR
MGS
MGS2
MGS3
All of Deus Ex's Endings

yeah i agree with u fox,kojima basically said for mgs3 he had to dumb the plot down coz many people didnt understand it,the mgs2 off.strategy guide explains the story v.well

it in mgs2 i mean,thats wat they didnt understand,not mgs3

It took me awhile to realize this thread was ressurected. But what the heck, I'll contribute yet again.

Half-Life 2 has the best ending of all time.

Half-life 2.

G-Man walking out of a black room into whiteness.

Meh eh, it suked, it made it seemed like Valve had no idea how to end it.

Back