Votes: 29 10.9%
  • Shadows are a nice feature

Votes: 145 54.5%
  • Shadows are not important

Votes: 33 12.4%
  • Release the game please

Votes: 59 22.2%

• Total voters
If the shadow in a shadow thing is still happening in the released game i'll just turn dynamic shadows off, or all shadows off, which ever one.

I want at the very LEAST Doom 3 quality shadows, I don't care if they whole game has to cut back on map size, map complexity, characters and character complexity, because then we would finally have some goddamn pretty shadows.

Nah, I don't really have a problem with shadows. I think Valve has turned shadows off for the objects where the "bug" was too obvious.
The shadows themselves look pretty with the blurred edges, you can see this best in the Eli-Mossman video, I really like the shadows there.

halflifeguy said:
with no shadows there would be no game. simple as that

I really doubt that Half-Life 2 would be the worst game ever If It had no shadows because I play the game for the gameplay Itself and not just to stare at the shadows and stuff thinking how graphically good the game looks.

The gameplay and storyline are what make the game good not the graphics.

I think it is important that they are well done and do not detract from the game by looking wrong or out of place. Saying that, i don't think Doom3 level shadows are necessary, Farcry did a very good job in my opinion with the shadows, something like that would be great to see.

It seems that the general consensus is to be apologetic towards Valve for the shadow problems. Why is this? If they have been developing the Source Engine for 6 years I don't see how obvious bugs like this could be forgiven. Just my 2 cents.

i hate the constant complaining about shadows. despite the fact that they look good in HL2, its not a feature that will make the game good or bad.

I don't really care about shadows, but they make a game look nicer.

Oh BTW 900!!!!11

guinny said:
Your one of the if not biggest troll/lamer on this forum and your telling me to grow up? At least I have an opinion that makes sense/people can respect. Grow up "kiddo."

Agreed

imagine a really gorgeous nude woman, the most perfect you could ever imagine, now imagine she has a giant stinky dick. that dick is the shadow bug in the otherwise gorgeous HL2

That's the stupidest analogy I've ever heard. The shadow bug would be more like a zit.

ElFuhrer said:
That's the stupidest analogy I've ever heard. The shadow bug would be more like a zit.
Well, maybe Wraith is one of the people who voted "Shadows are pivotal to the an enjoyable game experience". It would make sense to him then; the pivotal to enjoyment part that is.

guinny said:
None whatsoever. Though I don't think the game has bad shadowing effects at all. Anyone who could actually sit and show me any problems with the shadowing needs to A) stop paying attention to pathetic details that have nothing to do with anything. B) Get a life/get laid.

For someone who has over 3000 posts here, should not be telling others to "get a life / get laid".

Shadows enhance the experience and make everything more believable.
Maps for example, benefit greatly. If you take a mediocrely lit and shadowed map, and compare it to a well lit and well shadowed map, the difference is incredible.
Character shadows help add a lot of ambience and feeling, for example you could be coming around a dark corner, and see a shadow being projected onto the wall nearby, maybe to create tension or hope, depending on how it is used.

Algor said:
For someone who has over 3000 posts here, should not be telling others to "get a life / get laid".

Shadows enhance the experience and make everything more believable.
Maps for example, benefit greatly. If you take a mediocrely lit and shadowed map, and compare it to a well lit and well shadowed map, the difference is incredible.
Character shadows help add a lot of ambience and feeling, for example you could be coming around a dark corner, and see a shadow being projected onto the wall nearby, maybe to create tension or hope, depending on how it is used.

The thing about it is that HL2 does already have a good lighting and shadowing system. They already can pull off many dramatic lighting effects (enemies stepping out of darkness or concealed in the shadows) and shadow effects (seeing someone's shadow before the person can be done in CS:Source). It's just a more 'budget-minded' shadowing system that can also produce many effective results.

guinny said:
None whatsoever. Though I don't think the game has bad shadowing effects at all. Anyone who could actually sit and show me any problems with the shadowing needs to A) stop paying attention to pathetic details that have nothing to do with anything. B) Get a life/get laid.

I love it when people deny the fact that they want something, then insult others to make themselves feel better. If you actually knew anything, you would know shading and lighting is a HUGE part of a game. HL2's shadows and lighting effects are unfortunetly far from next gen. D00M 3 on the other hand is flockin amazing.

Wraith said:
imagine a really gorgeous nude woman, the most perfect you could ever imagine, now imagine she has a giant stinky dick. that dick is the shadow bug in the otherwise gorgeous HL2

lol, sigged.

Wraith said:

Lol, wtf? Don't you think that's overreacting a tad? I can name numerous games that are the best of all time that didn't have shadows but they were still the best games I can think of, here are a few... HL1 didn't have shadows, and I'm sure as hell stunts didn't have shadows, nor did 4d boxing. Scorched earth had no shadows to be seen, Warcraft 2 had no shadows, Quake 1+2 had no shadows, and Q3 had blob shadows, Unreal tournament had the same. If you're as superficial as you come across then I would strongly advice you against buying HL2 or any other game of it's calibur because you're not worthy to. It would be an injustice to the gameplay.

Shadows are a nice feature, and should be included in future games such as HL2.................

TheHitman5 said:
I love it when people deny the fact that they want something, then insult others to make themselves feel better. If you actually knew anything, you would know shading and lighting is a HUGE part of a game. HL2's shadows and lighting effects are unfortunetly far from next gen. D00M 3 on the other hand is flockin amazing.

So you want Doom 3 lighting eh? Do you also settle for HL2 then being a game taking place in small corridors with a maximum of 10 low polygon characters in a scene?
Both games have the limitation of hardware, it's an OR situation, either a unified lighting system or to put that processing power in other situations. You can't have both. It's as simple as that.

Besides, I wouldn't want to give up radiosity based lightmaps for the harsh direct lighting of Doom 3, it just wouldn't look right in a game like HL2.

One thing that irritates me about Source is that when you shine your flashlight on someone in CS:Sb, it projects absolutely no light onto them. Looks stupid.

PvtRyan said:
So you want Doom 3 lighting eh? Do you also settle for HL2 then being a game taking place in small corridors with a maximum of 10 low polygon characters in a scene?
Both games have the limitation of hardware, it's an OR situation, either a unified lighting system or to put that processing power in other situations. You can't have both. It's as simple as that.

Besides, I wouldn't want to give up radiosity based lightmaps for the harsh direct lighting of Doom 3, it just wouldn't look right in a game like HL2.

If by "Doom 3 lighting" you mean real time lighting and shadows, you are wrong. Dead wrong.
Ever heard of a little game called Far Cry?

I think source has amazing lighting, it may not be as advanced as D3 but the way light reflects of tiles, wood,etc is the most realistic a game has ever produced. So therefore I like it more(my opinion of coarse).

As for shadows there prolly the best soft shadows in a game that I can think off, off coarse overall they don't hold a candle to D3 or far cry. It's still kinda annoying that people still see valve making the decision to not have dynamic shadows as a bad thing. No one thinks of the benefits of soft shadows. Infact most of what inpresses us about HL2 would have to be taken out just to include them.

my two cents

iamaelephant said:
One thing that irritates me about Source is that when you shine your flashlight on someone in CS:Sb, it projects absolutely no light onto them. Looks stupid.
Yeah, that really blows. I don't know why they did that, we've seen that HL2's flashlight lights up models (flashlight on the antlions screen).

Algor said:
If by "Doom 3 lighting" you mean real time lighting and shadows, you are wrong. Dead wrong.
Ever heard of a little game called Far Cry?
Doom 3 does have real-time lighting and shadows. Way more then Far Cry does

WAAAAAY more.

Yes shadows are nice, but even if there is one shadow bug like in CS:S i get irritated by it. :sleep:

Sparta said:
Doom 3 does have real-time lighting and shadows. Way more then Far Cry does

WAAAAAY more.

Way more? What does that mean?
Far Cry has a number of shadowing techniques, that are used all over the place.

Shadows have no point in half life 2 except to look realistic

I just wanna enjoy the game, i dont see the point of buying it to point out little details, how is that fun?

Kazuki_Fuse said:
Lol, wtf? Don't you think that's overreacting a tad? I can name numerous games that are the best of all time that didn't have shadows but they were still the best games I can think of, here are a few... HL1 didn't have shadows, and I'm sure as hell stunts didn't have shadows, nor did 4d boxing. Scorched earth had no shadows to be seen, Warcraft 2 had no shadows, Quake 1+2 had no shadows, and Q3 had blob shadows, Unreal tournament had the same. If you're as superficial as you come across then I would strongly advice you against buying HL2 or any other game of it's calibur because you're not worthy to. It would be an injustice to the gameplay.

im not being all anal and saying "ohhh we need shadows or the game will suck hard ass!" but i mean come on, everything else is so gorgeous. the textures, the bump mapping, the lighting, they even went so far as to have that hallway thing on the roof whistle as the wind blew past it. so while im looking at this all and being amazed i dont want to see some shitty shadow ****up and then go "god damn it, ALMOST perfect"

Wraith said:
im not being all anal and saying "ohhh we need shadows or the game will suck hard ass!" but i mean come on, everything else is so gorgeous. the textures, the bump mapping, the lighting, they even went so far as to have that hallway thing on the roof whistle as the wind blew past it. so while im looking at this all and being amazed i dont want to see some shitty shadow ****up and then go "god damn it, ALMOST perfect"
To experience all that with dynamic shadows everything would have to be toned down immensely.

Half life should have had shadows. If you look at beta pictures half life has shadows and they looked beautiful at the time. Cs betas used to have a command to do stencil shadows but they were flat and did not project onto surfraces. They do make models look more attached to the world. Which is a good thing.

[graphics geek]
i'll be more than happy if the RC builds fixed the overlapping shadows "misfeature". at least make it an option for high-end cards. i'm pretty sure it is doable.
i doubt they have, though
[/graphics geek]

[gamer]
could care less. i love DeusEx, ffs, and it looks like absolute crap. i still rate it up with HL1.
[/gamer]

so voted release the game already.

The overlaping shadow bug is one thats in those early hl1 beta shots to. LOL I think thats the reason they left them out to. It made them
ugly as hell.

releasereleasereleasereleasereleasereleasereleasereleasereleasereleasereleasereleasereleasereleasereleasereleasereleasereleasereleasereleasereleasereleasereleasev

Back